Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot install ubuntu 8.04.

Beans

Cannot install ubuntu 8.04.

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 8.04. After I hit install Ubuntu on the live CD it says loading kernel and then it takes me to a black screen with a cursor in the upper left. But now I tried to start up windows and I get an OS option screen, I tried Ubuntu but the same thing happened without the loading kernel box. So then I tried to start windows and I couldn't get past the login screen. I think the problem may be that I'm using up too much hard-disk space having windows and Ubuntu on it. My computer has about 390 megabytes of RAM and 7 gigs of hard drive space. If windows is taking up all that space and preventing Ubuntu from running do you know how to uninstall windows without being in an OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Cannot install ubuntu 8.04.

What kind of Windows are you running?

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

Windows 2000.

Beans
    Distro

Get Gparted Live CD and shrink Windows, then install Ubuntu.

Libertad 584

Beans

I don't want windows at all because it doesn't work with my graphics tablet. And even if I wanted it I would want to get a different windows like XP if I get a better computer and wanted to play games.

Beans
    Distro

Then use Gparted Live CD to make a large partition of your whole drive, formatted ext3 and install Ubuntu; Guided>Use Entire Disk.

Libertad 584

Beans

Is there any other way? because 2 diffferent cd burners can't recognize my cd's. Yes my CD drive is writable

Beans
    Distro

Burn a new CD. Follow this guide:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bu...8burn%29%7C%28
    Do md5sum on the iso, burn at 4x or less on good quality CD-R, check CD integrity before install. Clean the lens in your burner, just in case. Other possibilities:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...on/FromWindows

Libertad 584

Beans

I meant on gparted. I bought my CD from a recommended site.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Cannot install ubuntu 8.04.

I have placed a post around 7 hours ago about the same problem with Ubuntu on a VIA EPIA-EX attempting to load both 7.x and 8.x Ubuntu. It is likely the problem is an incompatibility with the video display you are using.

There are many things that will cause a "black-out" and once it happens, the installation cannot proceed (obviously!). My suggestion to the Ubuntu folk is that they delay to the last moment the loading of the video drivers and, when they are being installed, ask the user to confirm they work. Where they don't work, the installation should try to determine the video adaptor and then refer to the latest list of websites supporting a Linux driver for that piece of hardware. Once again, there is the need for the user to be able to intervene and say the mod-probe had got it wrong when detecting the hardware and this notification should be sent automatically by email if the person has the computer connected to the Internet to the area within Ubuntu that handles these types of matters. In that way the architects of Ubuntu get good feedback as to whether there are problems with the mod-probe; an essential bit of software for detecting the hardware makeup within the PC. If it doesn't work well then people will soon become disappointed when trying to install Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast