Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix, please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Angry How to fix, please!

Hi, can anyone tell me what's going on here, please?

This error (see attached image) is occurring in Leopard on a MacBook at boot up. I pressed Command 'S' to get this screen - otherwise it just stays grey after the boot chime and flicks between a 'no-entry' symbol and the Apple Logo rapidly.

Please help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to fix, please!

please use more descriptive thread titles...

Your system is unable to load the OSX kernel. I would say the file has become corrupted somehow. boot from the OSX disc and repair permissions.

Beans

It would appear that your system may have crashed. I would recommend booting from your leopard install disk and trying to repair permissions to that drive and then boot from it to see if it comes up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for such a quick response... still need the the install disk though... grrr.

Beans

If you have another Mac and a firewire you could put the machine that is having the problem in target mode by holding the T button down as it boots until you get the firewire icon floating around on the screen then plug that into your other mac it will show up as a mounted firewire drive. Open up disk utility on the good machine and run repair permission on the drive that has been mounted as a firewire drive from the other machine. Don't know if you have another Mac but that is another way to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Uinluan View Post
    If you have another Mac and a firewire you could put the machine that is having the problem in target mode by holding the T button down as it boots until you get the firewire icon floating around on the screen then plug that into your other mac it will show up as a mounted firewire drive. Open up disk utility on the good machine and run repair permission on the drive that has been mounted as a firewire drive from the other machine. Don't know if you have another Mac but that is another way to do it.
    That's a brilliant idea, and a fantastic concept on the part of the peoploids at Apple.

As good as the Mac probably is, I don't know any other people that own one... otherwise I would have borrowed their disk by now.

Once again, a brilliant idea, many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yea basically mounting the disk in some system that is not running from the partition you need to fix will allow you to fix it... You might eeven be able to mount it in linux and fix it, but I am not sure what the permissions need to be... there is a thread in the mactel FAQ that shows how to do a filesystem check from linux, but honestly, I would recommend that method...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    yea basically mounting the disk in some system that is not running from the partition you need to fix will allow you to fix it... You might eeven be able to mount it in linux and fix it, but I am not sure what the permissions need to be... there is a thread in the mactel FAQ that shows how to do a filesystem check from linux, but honestly, I would recommend that method...
    can you repair OS X permessions from Linux? I don't think that would work...
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by russo.mic View Post
    can you repair OS X permessions from Linux? I don't think that would work...
    yes, should be able to. has to be writable though.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Wow, just did it to see CD. Your right. you can change a file's permissions in linux, and they carry over to OS X. I would have thought that wouldn't work for some reason.

Learn something new everyday.

Russo
    Macbook Pro C2D
    Ubuntu 8.04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast