Thread: Cannot install with a raid driver in MBR

Beans

Cannot install with a raid driver in MBR

For some reason, it seems that i cannot install ubuntu properly into a system which has a prioprietary raid driver installed into the MBP by the windows installer.

Hardware Info:
    ABIT P965 Pro motherboard, Core 2 duo 1.86 Ghz CPU

Steps followed:
    1. Install Windows XP Pro, including the prioprietary JMicron RAID driver (via floppy disk in the windows installer) onto partition 1, which occupies 1/2 of the drive.

2. Install Ubuntu onto partitions 2(swap)/3(ext3) which occupy the rest of the drive

At this point, I can boot Ubuntu, but can not boot windows anymore. I get an error about some part of the ntkernel not being found in the "Windows boot drive>system32" directory. I don't have the exact error, as I've had to redo my installation since.

Once I redid my installation, I have also tried to do an installation inside windows, so as not to affect the MBR. However, when I try to boot to ubuntu, it is not able to succesfully boot (again, i don't have the exact error message, but i could reinstall and try again to get the error message).

It seems that either grub or ubuntu itself is not dealing well with raid drivers installed into the MBR.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Cannot install with a raid driver in MBR

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

My real concern is that I'm not actually booting to a RAID drive. I'm trying to use the RAID as a data drive, and keep the two operating systems on the main drive.

However, in order to even install windows xp, i needed to install that driver from the floppy disk in the MBR via the xp installer.

And as I said earlier, grub overwrote that, and xp fails to boot. It's not that linux is not seeing the drive, it's that windows can't boot anymore.

As an alternative, i tried the "Install Inside Windows" option, and ubuntu won't event boot in that case.

Not that i can't execute the instructions given in the posts, but half the point of ubuntu is to make linux easy to deal with for the masses. Try getting a linux newbie to understand, much less execute, these instructions.

Isn't there any way that ubuntu can install itself on a physical partition, without altering the MBR, and configure the windows boot loader to start it up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You can install Grub to its own partition and later boot it with Super Grub: http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzo...bdiskpage.html

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584