Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So you're given 5 minutes to describe linux....you say?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So you're given 5 minutes to describe linux....you say?

Hey Linux users! I'm an engineering student who is taking a summer course in technical writing. An upcoming project for the class is finding a topic for a group project. What each of us has to do is come up with a topic, briefly research it, and give a brief 5 minute presentation on the subject. After reading a little summary of the assignment, I thought: "Well, this sounds like a job for Linux! (or at least and opportunity to spread the word about Linux in general)"

However, I'm still a self-proclaimed 'linux-noob.' I've messed with lightweight distros on an old computer, tinkered with ubuntu on a laptop, and I currently dual boot Windows Vista and PCLOS GNOME 2008.

Here's where the community can help me: I have 5 minutes to tell my class a little history on Linux, why the world (or atleast technically inclined people) should use Linux over Windoze, and general benefits of using Linux (not just ubuntu) without coming off as a Linux elitist

So here's the list that made me think Linux:

Students should consider these elements as "selling points" (selling class members on an idea, getting students to want to “vote for” or form a group around a particular project idea):

The need or marketing opportunity;

The feasibility (Is it “do-able” as a project even if the final answer for the idea itself is no?);

The scope of inquiry – what the investigation will cover, include, and what it will not cover or include;

The costs involved;

The benefits (to society as a whole, or the end user, but particularly for students involved in the project and for the class – as a learning experience);

The availability of information (Internet sites, library sources, experts, questionnaires, surveys, etc.; also in terms of being able to understand the information available, avoidance of classified, “cutting-edge,” or abstruse info or technology);

The challenge, the interest or fun involved.

P.S We are allowed to make a power point as a visual aid (used on a computer lab computer: projected on to the screen). I was thinking about taking a live cd to see if it would run near flawlessly as a visual aid too.

Thanks!
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II X3 720 (3.2GHz), GSkill 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (60GB), 750GB + 640GB WD Caviar Black; Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Re: So you're given 5 minutes to describe linux....you say?

Best OS ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'd have to say that extremely slow to make it last 5 minutes lol. I don't think I'd get any votes from the class either =P
    Desktop: AMD Phenom II X3 720 (3.2GHz), GSkill 4GB DDR2 1066 RAM, Sapphire Radeon HD 5870, OCZ Vertex 2 SSD (60GB), 750GB + 640GB WD Caviar Black; Windows 7 Pro / Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

*Hands over LiveCD and boots to it*

'Nuff said
    Cya!

Beans

Linux is a no-nonsense OS
    [Arch + KDE]

freedom

nuff said

Beans
    Hidden!

whatever you do, don't bash other OS's are you'll be doing the community a disservice.

Beans

Explain what an operating system is - or possibly just say a free alternative to Microsoft Windows.

Then perhaps discuss security and usability of old machines today and why Windows encourages upgrading of hardware to support new software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

More specifically, what would points would I make? e.g. linux has a million distibutions, some are free as in freedom and free as in beer, live cds don't make changes to the current OS, linux can be used for data recovery off a windows box, linus torvalds was a canadian curling champion (jk), privacy, a huge community that looks over the source code for bugs, etc.

you know, the whole thing you'd tell your friend if you were trying to get him/her to try out linux

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by darrelljon View Post
    Explain what an operating system is - or possibly just say a free alternative to Microsoft Windows.
    No, don't. Saying that makes people think it is just a free clone of Windows.
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast