Thread: Video Editor Kdenlive - "Looks promising", but...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Cool Video Editor Kdenlive - "Looks promising", but...

Just wanted to say that I was hunting down video editing software - simply because I wanted to post a video on youtube. After tons of time passed, I tried several "solutions": Avidemux, LiVES, Cinelerra, etc. etc. The list goes on for days.. ok, not really but whatever. So I decided to try Kdenlive after reading about it. They are seriously on the right track (developers), but it still has major problems. My need is to have a pre-created video file (in AVI format) sitting pretty in my home folder, and on a time-line combine a simple audio track (mp3), thus creating the same video but with a soundtrack. I cannot do this with the other programs I've tried. But with Kdenlive I actually got this quasi-accomplished - with the exception of the fact that the program actually crashes X and knocks me back to my login window.

Sidenote: I had my sessions set to be recorded on exit, so everytime I logged in there Kdenlive sat staring at me with that stupid message window about crashing and wanting to know if I wanted to try to restore it. Yes? No? Close the freaking window? -- Doesn't matter, it crashes anyway, kicking me back out to login again. hahaha

I'm getting pwned by video editing.

I managed to get it to stop, and I even deleted the files from the project and can get the program working again, but I'm hesitant to try it again. *sigh*

Ubuntu Hardy - Gnome

Questions? Comments? Snide remarks? I'm all ears.. or eyes.. or whatever..
    "Think for yourself. Question authority."
    -Maynard James Keenan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Video Editor Kdenlive - "Looks promising", but...

you could always mux the video and audio together using mencoder from the terminal
    But since you probably need to add stuff like intros or text to the video kdenlive is needed.

Ok what version of kdenlive?
    The one from the repos should work but if it is constantly crashing you might want to compile yourself (not as hard as it once was but still a challenge see the kdenlive wiki for compiling if you desire that)
    Is compiz enabled?
    If yes to the second question disable compiz when launching/working in kdenlive
    Kdenlive sometimes crashes and kills/restarts x if compiz is enabled (note you can restart or start compiz when kdenlive has lauched/is open but not before)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Cinelerra is able to this. Have a look in the File format list of the File --> Render dialog.
    AMD64X2 3800+ 3GB Ram: 11.10
    ACER one T1810 : 11.10 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Smile Re: Video Editor Kdenlive - "Looks promising", but...

Quote Originally Posted by cor2y View Post
    Is compiz enabled?
    If yes to the second question disable compiz when launching/working in kdenlive
    Kdenlive sometimes crashes and kills/restarts x if compiz is enabled (note you can restart or start compiz when kdenlive has lauched/is open but not before)
    You know, I didn't even think about that! So, when I stopped compiz I was able to combine the audio & video with absolutely no problems.

Thanks a ton. (Going to click thanks on your post now...)
    "Think for yourself. Question authority."
    -Maynard James Keenan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I was having the same issue and it was fixed thanks to cor2y!
    Hopefully there is a fix for this in the near future, so that compiz does not have to be disabled
    happy day

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

newbie here.... Exactly how does one disable compiz....

I tried "disable compiz" ... didn't work... what is the terminal line I need to enter?

Thanks

daka
    NO SELF....NO PROBLEM

Beans

weldevis4,

ur kdenlive config file got screwed, that is why it crash when i start the program... go to ur home folder and look for the hiden config file for kdenlive (user .kde or something like that), delete it and start kdenlive, it will ask u to choose the video format...choosing the correct one will get kdenlive started again