Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install VMware Server in Hardy (and later)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install VMware Server in Hardy (and later)

From what I've seen, Server 2.0 does not support adding existing physical disks (in RC1). A compelling enough reason (as far as I'm concerned) to not migrate, even after it's gone gold. What's more, the Web interface is soooooooo sluggish and kinda locks to using firefox as a browser.

I'll just stick to Server 1.0.x, thanks :/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I originally installed Vmware in Hardy using this script when the kernel was still at 24-16. I had not used it since all the kernel updates over the past few weeks, but it wasn't working today.

The error message that came up told me to run the config script, but I kept getting an error message.

Anyway, to skip ahead, I found that the folder for the 24-19 kernel does not have the "build" subdirectory that the other, older kernel folders have. (Sorry for the lack of accurate technical terms.)

I got it working by rebooting into a 24-18 session and running the config script, but I'd like for it to work in the latest kernel.

Any ideas as to why there is no "build" folder in my 24-19 kernel folder?

(I am running 64-bit Hardy.)

Thanks in advance.

Beans

I ran the script and it failed to install anything. I upgraded directly from Gutsy and had VMware Server installed on that. The Hardy upgrade killed it but left behind some files. If I try to use Synaptic to completly remove them it tells me all sorts of stuff will also be removed. Like a huge list of seemingly important files. Here's the out put from the script.

Code:
     -- Updating Ubuntu, continuing...
     -- Upgrading Ubuntu, continuing...
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Reading extended state information      
    Initialising package states... Done
    Building tag database... Done      
    No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
    0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Reading extended state information      
    Initialising package states... Done
    Building tag database... Done      
     -- Installing essential libraries for 32-bit architecture, continuing...
     -- Checking for essential GUI libraries, continuing...
     -- Essential GUI libraries already installed, continuing...
     -- Downloading VMware server. This may take some time, continuing...
    --23:51:53--  http://download3.vmware.com/software/vmserver/VMware-server-1.0.6-91891.tar.gz
               => `VMware-server-1.0.6-91891.tar.gz'
    Resolving download3.vmware.com... 84.53.178.66, 84.53.178.67
    Connecting to download3.vmware.com|84.53.178.66|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 106,985,820 (102M) [application/x-gzip]

100%[====================================>] 106,985,820  239.00K/s    ETA 00:00

23:59:13 (237.49 KB/s) - `VMware-server-1.0.6-91891.tar.gz' saved [106985820/106985820]

-- Extracting VMware server, continuing...
     -- Installing VMware server, continuing...
    A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.

The previous installation was made by the tar installer (version 3).

Keeping the tar3 installer database format.

Error: Unable to execute "/usr/bin/vmware-uninstall.pl.

Failure

Execution aborted.

-- Downloading the any-any update. This may take some time, continuing...
    --23:59:19--  http://uruz.org/files/vmware-any-any-update-116.tgz
               => `vmware-any-any-update-116.tgz'
    Resolving uruz.org... 83.246.120.75
    Connecting to uruz.org|83.246.120.75|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 493,492 (482K) [application/x-gzip]

100%[====================================>] 493,492      251.85K/s             

23:59:21 (251.13 KB/s) - `vmware-any-any-update-116.tgz' saved [493492/493492]

-- Extracting the any-any update, continuing...
     -- Running the any-any update, continuing...
    Updating /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl ... corrupted
    Unable to copy the source file ./vmmon.tar to the destination file 
    /usr/lib/vmware-server/modules/source/vmmon.tar.

Execution aborted.

-- Fixing library issues, continuing...
    ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1': No such file or directory
    ln: creating symbolic link `/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0': No such file or directory
     -- USB fix already present, continuing...
     -- Safely exiting...
     -- Removing downloaded and extracted files, continuing...
    lynchk@moonstone:~/Scripts/Shell$

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

@brian96:
    Does this folder exist: '/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/build/include'?

It does for me with 2.6.24-19 and VMware needs that to compile vmmon.

Please let me know. If it does exist and VMware doesn't install, please post the log here.

@aikiwolfie:
    Can you please run 'vmware-server-distrib/bin/vmware-uninstall.pl' manually once 1.0.6 is extracted. You may have to do this manually.

Then, upon success, try running my script again.
    Last edited by altonbr; July 6th, 2008 at 02:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for doing the hard work with this great script! I had VMware running in no time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by altonbr View Post
    @brian96:
    Does this folder exist: '/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/build/include'?

It does for me with 2.6.24-19 and VMware needs that to compile vmmon.

Please let me know. If it does exist and VMware doesn't install, please post the log here.

@aikiwolfie:
    Can you please run 'vmware-server-distrib/bin/vmware-uninstall.pl' manually once 1.0.6 is extracted. You may have to do this manually.

Then, upon success, try running my script again.
    No, that folder doesn't exist (although it does for all previous kernel upgrades since 24-16).

I originally used your script to install it back when the kernel was at 24-16 and hadn't used VMWare since. I can't reproduce it now, but the error message I got when running "vmware" in a terminal said something about it not being configured properly and instructed me to run some config command. I ran it, and got an error message about not finding the kernel or something. That's when I noticed that the "build" folder and its subdirectories did not exist in my /lib/******24-19 folder. However, the build folder WAS in my 24-18 folder, so I rebooted into a 24-18 session, got the same initial error message, ran the recommended command, and everything worked out.

So, I guess my issue is: why didn't that folder get created in my /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/build/include directory when I let the Update Manager update my kernel?

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

thanks altonbr...

Really good script. I decided to install VMware again after a long time and was having some difficulty getting it to work. Your script did the trick in no time.

Thanks... mdpalow

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

script completed successfuly. still get this message upon attempting to run vmware:
    Code:
    $ vmware
    vmware is installed, but it has not been (correctly) configured
    for this system. To (re-)configure it, invoke the following command:
    /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl.

Beans

No matter what I try I cannot get this to work in Heron. This is the diagnostics:

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
    kernel? [/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-386/build/include]

Extracting the sources of the vmmon module.

Building the vmmon module.

Building for VMware Server 1.0.0.
    Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-386/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-19-386'
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driver.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/driverLog.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/hostif.o
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/hostif.c: In function ‘HostIF_BrokenCPUHelper’:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/linux/hostif.c:3042: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘HostIFBrokenCPUHelper’ discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/comport.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/cpuid.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/hash.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/memtrack.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/phystrack.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task.o
    cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Werror-implicit-function-declaration" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++
    cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wdeclaration-after-statement" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++
    cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wno-pointer-sign" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++
    cc1plus: warning: command line option "-Wstrict-prototypes" is valid for Ada/C/ObjC but not for C++
    cc1plus: warning: command line option "-ffreestanding" is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++
    In file included from /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task.c:1194:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘int Vmx86_RunVM(VMCrossPage*, VMDriver*) [with VMCrossPage = VMCrossPageV321]’:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2491: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rsp’ is used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: note: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rsp’ was declared here
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2492: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rip’ is used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: note: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rip’ was declared here
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::validEIP’ may be used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: note: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::validEIP’ was declared here
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::cs’ may be used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: note: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::cs’ was declared here
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘int Vmx86_RunVM(VMCrossPage*, VMDriver*) [with VMCrossPage = VMCrossPageV3]’:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2491: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rsp’ is used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: note: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rsp’ was declared here
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2492: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rip’ is used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: note: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rip’ was declared here
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::validEIP’ may be used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: note: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::validEIP’ was declared here
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::cs’ may be used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: note: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::cs’ was declared here
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘int Vmx86_RunVM(VMCrossPage*, VMDriver*) [with VMCrossPage = VMCrossPageGSX1]’:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘int Vmx86_RunVM(VMCrossPage*, VMDriver*) [with VMCrossPage = VMCrossPageV2]’:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘int Vmx86_RunVM_V4(VMDriver*, Vcpuid) [with VMCrossPage = VMCrossPageV4]’:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rsp’ may be used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rip’ may be used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘int Vmx86_RunVM(VMDriver*, Vcpuid)’:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rsp’ may be used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:3028: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rip’ may be used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h: In function ‘void Task_Switch_V45(VMDriver*, Vcpuid)’:
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2666: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::validEIP’ may be used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2666: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::cs’ may be used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2666: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rsp’ may be used uninitialised in this function
    /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/task_compat.h:2666: warning: ‘sysenterState.SysenterStateV45::rip’ may be used uninitialised in this function
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/vmciContext.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/vmciDatagram.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/vmciDriver.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/vmciDs.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/vmciGroup.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/vmciHashtable.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/vmciProcess.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/vmciResource.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/vmciSharedMem.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/common/vmx86.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/vmcore/compat.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/vmcore/moduleloop.o
    LD [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/vmmon.o
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1 modules
    CC /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/vmmon.mod.o
    LD [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only/vmmon.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-19-386'
    cp -f vmmon.ko ./../vmmon.o
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmmon-only'
    The module loads perfectly in the running kernel.

Do you want networking for your virtual machines? (yes/no/help) [yes]

Configuring a bridged network for vmnet0.

The following bridged networks have been defined:

. vmnet0 is bridged to eth0

All your ethernet interfaces are already bridged.

Do you want to be able to use NAT networking in your virtual machines? (yes/no)
    [yes]

Configuring a NAT network for vmnet8.

Do you want this program to probe for an unused private subnet? (yes/no/help)
    [yes]

Probing for an unused private subnet (this can take some time)...

The subnet 192.168.71.0/255.255.255.0 appears to be unused.

The following NAT networks have been defined:

. vmnet8 is a NAT network on private subnet 192.168.71.0.

Do you wish to configure another NAT network? (yes/no) [no]

Do you want to be able to use host-only networking in your virtual machines?
    [yes]

Configuring a host-only network for vmnet1.

Do you want this program to probe for an unused private subnet? (yes/no/help)
    [yes]

Probing for an unused private subnet (this can take some time)...

The subnet 192.168.37.0/255.255.255.0 appears to be unused.

The following host-only networks have been defined:

. vmnet1 is a host-only network on private subnet 192.168.37.0.

Do you wish to configure another host-only network? (yes/no) [no]

Extracting the sources of the vmnet module.

Building the vmnet module.

Building for VMware Server 1.0.0.
    Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
    make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only'
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-386/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-19-386'
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/driver.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/hub.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/userif.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/netif.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/bridge.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/filter.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/procfs.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/smac_compat.o
    CC [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/smac_linux.x386.o
    LD [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.o
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST 1 modules
    CC /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.mod.o
    LD [M] /tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only/vmnet.ko
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-19-386'
    cp -f vmnet.ko ./../vmnet.o
    make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-config0/vmnet-only'
    The module loads perfectly in the running kernel.

Please specify a port for remote console connections to use [902]

* Stopping internet superserver xinetd [ OK ]
    * Starting internet superserver xinetd [ OK ]
    Configuring the VMware VmPerl Scripting API.

Building the VMware VmPerl Scripting API.

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

Installing the VMware VmPerl Scripting API.

The installation of the VMware VmPerl Scripting API succeeded.

Do you want this program to set up permissions for your registered virtual
    machines? This will be done by setting new permissions on all files found in
    the "/etc/vmware/vm-list" file. [no]

Generating SSL Server Certificate

In which directory do you want to keep your virtual machine files?
    [/var/lib/vmware/Virtual Machines]

Do you want to enter a serial number now? (yes/no/help) [no]

Starting VMware services:
    Virtual machine monitor done
    Virtual ethernet done
    Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0 done
    Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1 (background) done
    Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8 (background) done
    NAT service on /dev/vmnet8 done
    Starting VMware virtual machines... done

The configuration of VMware Server 1.0.6 build-91891 for Linux for this running
    kernel completed successfully.

-- Fixing library issues, continuing...
    -- USB fix already present, continuing...
    -- Safely exiting...
    -- Removing downloaded and extracted files, continuing...
    root@ngms27-desktop:/home/ngms27#

When running vmware I get:

root@ngms27-desktop:/home/ngms27# vmware
    process 10160: Attempt to remove filter function 0xb6affcd0 user data 0x88b8b40, but no such filter has been added

The no console displays

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    No, that folder doesn't exist (although it does for all previous kernel upgrades since 24-16).

I originally used your script to install it back when the kernel was at 24-16 and hadn't used VMWare since. I can't reproduce it now, but the error message I got when running "vmware" in a terminal said something about it not being configured properly and instructed me to run some config command. I ran it, and got an error message about not finding the kernel or something. That's when I noticed that the "build" folder and its subdirectories did not exist in my /lib/******24-19 folder. However, the build folder WAS in my 24-18 folder, so I rebooted into a 24-18 session, got the same initial error message, ran the recommended command, and everything worked out.

So, I guess my issue is: why didn't that folder get created in my /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/build/include directory when I let the Update Manager update my kernel?

Thanks for your help.

Just wanted to revisit this. Can anyone help me figure out why the /build/include directory didn't get created in my /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic directory? Is that something the upgrade should have done, or is it something that is handled by the script?

I am confused, because the directory did exist in my /lib/modules/2.6.24-18-generic directory, although I don't ever remember running altonbr's script since the "16" kernel release.

Thanks in advance.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast