Thread: What to do with kernel panic?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Question What to do with kernel panic?

Hi all,

I am getting a kernel panic (flashing caps lock and scroll lock lights) after some wireless network usage.

It's not immediate; I can have a few 100 kB of network traffic without problems, but after that the system freezes.

I've tried internet browsing with Firefox, downloading packages with the installer, and remote desktop usage, and the results are the same in all situations.

I've checked the wireless network card (a CNet CWP-854, using a Ralink RT2560/RT61 driver according to lspci), and is properly inserted and secured on the mainboard.

What should I do? I am still not very familiar with Linux. Would it be easiest to just buy another network card?

Thanks,
    Peter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: What to do with kernel panic?

Anybody who can help please?

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Boy, that does look very complicated How am I going to download packages, when the machine crashes on downloading ????

I have another PC with Windows, but can I download something there and then get it to install on the Ubuntu PC?

Plus, the next comment seems to indicate you also have to install a firmware from RaLink. I've tried reading through the readme included in the download, but don't really understand much of it...

I am willing to buy another (cheap) wireless card if that works out of the box. However, the CNet CWP-854 has been listed as working out of the box since 2007-04 while this is definitely not the case. Can anybody suggest a card that is guaranteed to work, or help me with the instructions to fix support for the card I have?

Go into GRUB, (press esc), when booting up, and use the recovery mode. See if the problem is solved and you can fix your computer.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Go into GRUB, (press esc), when booting up, and use the recovery mode. See if the problem is solved and you can fix your computer.
    Sef, this doesn't make any sense. I booted with recovery mode, which made no difference. And "you can fix your computer"??? No I can't, that is exactly the reason why I post for help!

Anybody else who can help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I have a had a few kernal panics in my day. first try using your computer without the wireless card and see if you still get a kernal panic. usually I find that kernal panics have to do with bad memory. try running a live cd and running the memtest. if it comes up with any failed block get new ram. if it won't even run the cd definitely get new ram.

OH I should add if there is a problem with the wirless card itself it woudn't matter how well it was installed it could be a circuitry problem. if you have access try a different wireless card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

With the wireless card inserted in the computer, even with a live wireless network connection, I have no problem. The problems only come when downloading or uploading larger amounts of data.

Here is the official bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/200142/

The problem is, I don't understand how to perform the workarounds that are provided in the article. (And anyway, the workarounds don't really seem to work now...)

Would be really great if someone could guide me step-by-step to a solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

There is no "solution" at present, just the workarounds at present. I suspect this may well be "fixed" when 8.10 is released in October, but take a look at the workarounds again and see if you are comfortable with any of them. I'd try the new kernel myself, were I you; the instructions given in the bug report seemed fairly clear.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I am sorry, but I really can't understand the workarounds and solutions that are given.

The first part where I am already hitting a wall: how do I download and install stuff when I don't have a working internet connection????

I might be able to download some stuff on my Windows PC (long live Windows!) --if I know where to get it, I wouldn't know where to get the 8.10 kernel-- but then I still don't understand how to install it.