Thread: Can we make an image?

Beans

Can we make an image?

Hey all,

I finally have EVERYTHING running perfectly on my 13" intel macbook -including the elusive "suspend to RAM" (this seems to work for no reason)

A couple of questions:

1. Can I make an image of everything I have so that I can re-install Ubuntu in its current state at a later time (for example, if I try an upgrade which breaks something, and I want to go back to this state)?

2. Suspend is one of the last two pieces of the puzzle -with it, Ubuntu is just one step away from being better than OS X on my mac (battery life is the other item which is not fully addressed). Does anyone know how to figure out why it is working now? Perhaps there is information that can show exactly what I need to get it working in the future, especially if #1 cant be accomplished?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can we make an image?

for making a CD image you should look into remastersys. It allows you to make custom ISO for your install.

As for battery I am not quite sure what you are trying to solve. What isnt working. Is it just that you get less battery life in ubuntu than in OSX?
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can we make an image?

if you use remastersys, though, you have to go through reinstall.

An easier method (which I use) is to simply make an image of root partition with Partimage before any major change:

http://www.partimage.org/Partimage-manual_Usage

Store the compressed .img file on another partition (or better yet on another hard disk or DVD if it will fit)

If you ever get in trouble fire up the ubu live cd and restore it