Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just installed ubuntu - a few issues

Beans

Arrow Just installed ubuntu - a few issues

I installed ubuntu to dual boot with XP on my 2006 desktop. I had previously set it up on n incredibly old computer with no poblems. Everything worked fine. This time, there are a few problems. For one, the resolution. The highest it offers is 800x600....which is so low and makes everything huge on my 17" monitor. Can this even be fixed?

The other big problem is the wireless home network. On the other one I used a cheap belkin wireless usb thingy, and I was able to select our home network from a list very easily. This computer has a belkin card....and it doesn't seem to want to connect to the same network. It's right by the other old computer with ubuntu. How come it's not working when the other did? Is there any way to fix this?

So, yeah....lots of problems with ubuntu for me. Please keep in mind that I don't know much about hardware or 'drivers" and stuff like that.

EDIT: okay, out of 3 drivers listed...one does not work: nvidea_new. Does this have something to do with the resolution?

I'm not sure if these have anything to do with...anything....but here are the drivers relating to network:

1394 net adapter
    Belkin wireless G desktop Card
    Nvidea nforce networking controller

and then here's my graphics card: Geforce 6150
    Last edited by Rukaru; May 9th, 2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: clarify

Beans

Re: Just installed ubuntu - a few issues

Quote Originally Posted by Rukaru View Post
    I installed ubuntu to dual boot with XP on my 2006 desktop. I had previously set it up on n incredibly old computer with no poblems. Everything worked fine. This time, there are a few problems. For one, the resolution. The highest it offers is 800x600....which is so low and makes everything huge on my 17" monitor. Can this even be fixed?
    First, are you running Hardy or Gutsy? So 800x600 the highest resolution available in System-Preferences-Screen Resolution (or Screens & Graphics, I think it was called, in Gutsy)? Look in System-Administration-Hardware Drivers (or Restricted Driver Manager). Is there a driver available there for your video card?

The other big problem is the wireless home network. On the other one I used a cheap belkin wireless usb thingy, and I was able to select our home network from a list very easily. This computer has a belkin card....and it doesn't seem to want to connect to the same network. It's right by the other old computer with ubuntu. How come it's not working when the other did? Is there any way to fix this?
    Specifically what cheap Belkin card do you have? I've got the F5D7050 version 3002; it works right out of the box in Hardy, but I did have to manually enter my wireless settings in System-Administration-Network (select wireless connection, click properties, uncheck "enable roaming" and then fill in the blanks for your setup). If you're running Gutsy, it may be more complicated.

Another thing that I am concerned about is this weird clicking noise my tower makes when I start up ubuntu. It doesn't do that when I start up XP! It isn't random either. Each of the 3 times I've started ubuntu, it made that clicking noise. it's like a series of 3 clicks that sound kind of like a clock.
    Speaking of a clock.....after I reset the clock in ubuntu....ubuntu froze up. only the cursor worked. I couldn't click anything.
    That's weird. I'm useless there.
    Last edited by dmub82; May 9th, 2008 at 07:40 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmub82 View Post
    First, are you running Hardy or Gutsy? So 800x600 the highest resolution available in System-Preferences-Screen Resolution (or Screens & Graphics, I think it was called, in Gutsy)? Look in System-Administration-Hardware Drivers (or Restricted Driver Manager). Is there a driver available there for your video card?

Specifically what cheap Belkin card do you have? I've got the F5D7050 version 3002; it works right out of the box in Hardy, but I did have to manually enter my wireless settings in System-Administration-Network (select wireless connection, click properties, uncheck "enable roaming" and then fill in the blanks for your setup). If you're running Gutsy, it may be more complicated.

That's weird. I'm useless there.
    I don't know what card I have. I looked in Hardware drivers (I have Hardy Heron by the way) and it shows 3. The one that is not inse is "nvidea_new", so I guess that's my graphics card. Anything I can do here to make it so ubuntu can use it?

Beans

Oh yeah...and I don't know how to check what wireless card I have. Again, I really need assistance here.

Beans

I don't know what card I have. I looked in Hardware drivers (I have Hardy Heron by the way) and it shows 3. The one that is not inse is "nvidea_new", so I guess that's my graphics card. Anything I can do here to make it so ubuntu can use it?
    If you go into Hardware Drivers and check the box next to "Nvidea new", that will tell Ubuntu to download and enable that driver (after you reboot). If it works, that should give you more options for screen resolution. It may look weird at first, as long as you can log in take a look at Screen Resolutions and see if you find a suitable option. If the setting you want isn't working, play around with the options for Refresh Rate on that same screen.

Beans

For your wireless, open a terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) and type
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    . Post what you get here.

Beans

If you go into Hardware Drivers and check the box next to "Nvidea new", that will tell Ubuntu to download and enable that driver (after you reboot). If it works, that should give you more options for screen resolution. It may look weird at first, as long as you can log in take a look at Screen Resolutions and see if you find a suitable option. If the setting you want isn't working, play around with the options for Refresh Rate on that same screen.
    It didn't work. It was already enabled, but it won't go to "in use". I think its restricted. Anything I can do without messig anything up for XP? I also really need that internet...if anyone knows anything...let me know.

Beans

For your wireless, open a terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) and type
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    . Post what you get here.
    It said something like "warning, you should run this program as super user."

Beans

It said something like "warning, you should run this program as super user."
    MY bad, try
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network

Beans

MY bad, try
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    Okay.....it asked for my password...I gave it...it showed some text..I closed it. Nothing is different. Maybe I should give up on ubuntu. There are no problems with my XP and Vista.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast