Thread: Matlab works in Octave or Scilab or other freeware

Beans

Matlab works in Octave or Scilab or other freeware

Hi all!

I have some Matlab works i would like to keep using with some freeware like Octave or Scilab.
    They consist mainly in:
    -routines importing/exporting data from/to excel
    -simple calculalations
    -guis

I would like to know what freeware can reply those and how many changes are needed in the code

Thanks a lot !!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Matlab works in Octave or Scilab or other freeware

Quote Originally Posted by Asimov4000 View Post
    Hi all!

I have some Matlab works i would like to keep using with some freeware like Octave or Scilab.
    They consist mainly in:
    -routines importing/exporting data from/to excel
    -simple calculalations
    -guis

I would like to know what freeware can reply those and how many changes are needed in the code

Thanks a lot !!!!
    I Dont Know if I am the right person to answer this question but from my experience octave is closet to matlab... many would tout for scilab but atleast for stuff I had, I did not had make almost any code changes for it to work on octave..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Scilab is a good programme to use for non-graphical applications. For instance, you want to solve something numerically, handle and manipulate large files at once etc... The code used in such situations is, I think, the same in Matlab and Scilab, although it has been a while since I've used matlab properly. However, Scilab isn't so great with reading in images, producing high quality graphs and such like. For that, I guess you'd need to use Octave, although I've little experience with that.

Beans

Octave would be the best choice when porting programs from Matlab. The only problem may be the gui part, the rest can be quite well covered.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yup. The GUI from your matlab may not work in ocatve, but the rest should. There's a section on the octave website that discusses the incompatibilities between it and Matlab, I don't have the link anymore, but it may be useful if you run into trouble. One sore spot in compatibility is 3-d plotting. Have to use things like vtk_trisurf instead of just plain trisurf from Matlab.