Re: HowTo: Undervolt your notebook CPU for longer battery life

very cool post

i should try it on my laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddion View Post
    Depends on the AMD Turion X2 you're talking about... What family does it belong to, as mentioned in /proc/cpuinfo? If it is 17, then it is not supported at the moment... But I am working on it.
    If it is <16 it is already supported. And with "direct_transitions" enabled, you can even unlock new frequencies.
    I reread this thread and even installed the undervolt patch from the supplied repositories. But I can't get it to work right. Can anyone help me?

Running cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_controls gives does not exist.

Code:
    processor	: 0
    vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
    cpu family	: 15
    model		: 72
    model name	: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50
    This is my CPU.
    Last edited by Shikaku2; July 7th, 2009 at 02:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Shikaku2 View Post
    I reread this thread and even installed the undervolt patch from the supplied repositories. But I can't get it to work right. Can anyone help me?

Running cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/phc_controls gives does not exist.

Code:
    processor	: 0
    vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
    cpu family	: 15
    model		: 72
    model name	: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50
    This is my CPU.
    That's perhaps because I only wrote an out-of-tree AMD k8 patch and therefore it's probably not included in the PHC ppa kernel (but you will need it or another kernel without built-in powernow-k8 driver).

Just install "dkms" if you don't have it (`sudo apt-get install dkms`) download the driver, unpack it somewhere and run `sudo make dkms_install`. Your driver will be called "phc-k8" and should show up in `lsmod`.
    To unlock all fids, you need to edit /etc/modprobe.d/phc-k8.conf and uncomment the line with "#option phc-k8 direct_transitions=1".

There's a patch for Gentoo that can be applied on top of the kernel, I'll ask the-fallen whether this can be included in the PPA, so it will be a part of the ppa kernel as well...

Beans
    Distro

That's perhaps because I only wrote an out-of-tree AMD k8 patch and therefore it's probably not included in the PHC ppa kernel (but you will need it or another kernel without built-in powernow-k8 driver).

Just install "dkms" if you don't have it (`sudo apt-get install dkms`) download the driver, unpack it somewhere and run `sudo make dkms_install`. Your driver will be called "phc-k8" and should show up in `lsmod`.
    To unlock all fids, you need to edit /etc/modprobe.d/phc-k8.conf and uncomment the line with "#option phc-k8 direct_transitions=1".

There's a patch for Gentoo that can be applied on top of the kernel, I'll ask the-fallen whether this can be included in the PPA, so it will be a part of the ppa kernel as well...
    This is so strange... I did it right I think but it's not in lsmod at all.

Here's what I did. I have the repository undervolt kernel, it's downloaded and installed.

It wasn't working.

I already had DKMS. I downloaded the latest AMD phc from linux-phc.org. I went to the directory and did sudo make dkms_install. Reboot.

I still get nothing in lsmod about it nor does the phc options appear in the cpu0/cpufreq folder.

I make sure it loads by editing the /etc/modules and adding phc-k8. It doesn't load.

I then BLACKLIST powernow-k8 to see if it was a conflict.

I check dmesg and this is the only line about PHC i get:

[ 15.730675] phc-k8: Found 1 AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 processors (2 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)

It's still not in lsmod though

Beans
    Distro

This is so strange... I did it right I think but it's not in lsmod at all.

Here's what I did. I have the repository undervolt kernel, it's downloaded and installed.

It wasn't working.

I already had DKMS. I downloaded the latest AMD phc from linux-phc.org. I went to the directory and did sudo make dkms_install. Reboot.

I still get nothing in lsmod about it nor does the phc options appear in the cpu0/cpufreq folder.

I make sure it loads by editing the /etc/modules and adding phc-k8. It doesn't load.

I then BLACKLIST powernow-k8 to see if it was a conflict.

I check dmesg and this is the only line about PHC i get:

[ 15.730675] phc-k8: Found 1 AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 processors (2 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)

It's still not in lsmod though
    Hmmm, what are the outputs of:

uname -a
    dmesg|grep k8
    lsmod|grep k8
    modprobe -l *k8*
    dkms status

BTW, you can also contact me directly, see at the top of phc-k8.c for my email

Beans
    Distro

uname -a
    dmesg|grep k8
    lsmod|grep k8
    modprobe -l *k8*
    dkms status
    Code:
    computer:~$ uname -a
    Linux computer-laptop 2.6.28-11-generic #43~undervolt1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 18:32:02 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    computer:~$ dmesg|grep k8
    [    2.364875] powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 processors (2 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
    [    2.364976] powernow-k8:    0 : fid 0x8 (1600 MHz), vid 0x13
    [    2.365032] powernow-k8:    1 : fid 0x0 (800 MHz), vid 0x14
    [   15.754779] phc-k8: Found 1 AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 processors (2 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
    [   18.456738] phc-k8: Found 1 AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 processors (2 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
    computer:~$ lsmod|grep k8
    k8temp                 12416  0 
    computer:~$ modprobe -l *k8*
    kernel/drivers/hwmon/k8temp.ko
    kernel/drivers/mtd/maps/ck804xrom.ko
    updates/dkms/phc-k8.ko
    computer:~$ dkms status
    phc-k8, 0.4.1, 2.6.28-11-generic, i686: installed
    I found the email too btw. If I need further assistance I'll email.

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    computer:~$ uname -a
    Linux computer-laptop 2.6.28-11-generic #43~undervolt1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 18:32:02 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
    computer:~$ dmesg|grep k8
    [    2.364875] powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 processors (2 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
    [    2.364976] powernow-k8:    0 : fid 0x8 (1600 MHz), vid 0x13
    [    2.365032] powernow-k8:    1 : fid 0x0 (800 MHz), vid 0x14
    [   15.754779] phc-k8: Found 1 AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 processors (2 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
    [   18.456738] phc-k8: Found 1 AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-50 processors (2 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
    I found the email too btw. If I need further assistance I'll email.
    I seems the powernow-k8 module is (still) built-in, I'll contact the-fallen, that shouldn't have happened and it will be fixed ASAP. So it's the ppa kernel that is causing this to fail...

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: HowTo: Undervolt your notebook CPU for longer battery life

There's a newer kernel available with the powernow-k8 patch integrated at https://launchpad.net/~linux-phc/+archive/ppa

The driver is built as a module, so you can even override it by a different PHC K8 patch in the future.

Beans

Exclamation New kernel available

Ahhh... there's the new kernel so we can update now!

Thank you to the repo maintainers for helping out n00bs such as myself.

EDIT: I updated to the new kernel from the repo, but I don't have undervolting... huh? It is listed as installed, but I don't have PHC. I just downloaded all the available updates in Update Manager... do we need to do something else? I only have two kernel images in /boot, so I believe I am booting to the modified kernel when choosing 2.6.28.13... and 2.6.28.11 still works correctly. What's going on?
    Last edited by mister_playboy; July 14th, 2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added information

Beans

Re: New kernel available

Quote Originally Posted by mister_playboy View Post
    EDIT: I updated to the new kernel from the repo, but I don't have undervolting... huh? It is listed as installed, but I don't have PHC. I just downloaded all the available updates in Update Manager... do we need to do something else? I only have two kernel images in /boot, so I believe I am booting to the modified kernel when choosing 2.6.28.13... and 2.6.28.11 still works correctly. What's going on?
    I have updated my system yesterday with kernel 2.6.28.13 from the ppa and it is working fine on my dual core.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 8.10 - 32 bits | 1.6 GHz Pentium dual T2330 | 2 Go RAM | Nvidia 8400M GS | 160GB 5400 RPM HDD

Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast