Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: howto: Belkin F7D1101 with RTL8192SU from staging

Beans

howto: Belkin F7D1101 with RTL8192SU from staging

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This method does not work on any recent kernels(11.4+) as RTL8192SU was dropped in favor of r8712u. This new driver is even more stable and works out-of-the-box considering you have the linux-firmware package installed. Debian users have to copy the firmware manually(copy the rtlwifi folder from the ubuntu package to /lib/firmware).

Also, link to firmware has been updated for you <= 10.10 users out there, as posted and tested in this thread.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently purchased a Belkin F7D1101 Basic Wireless USB Adapter just to find it preforms poorly with ndiswrapper and Ubuntu does not support it out-of-the-box. Luckily, it is possible to get this chipset running natively.

1.) First I had to add the device to r8192s_usb(both files are likely empty):

Use this command in the terminal to open the first file:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/network_drivers.rules
    and add this line:
    ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="050d", ATTR{idProduct}=="945a", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -qba r8192s_usb"
    Save it then run this command to open the second file:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/network_drivers.conf
    and add this line:
    install r8192s_usb /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install r8192s_usb $CMDLINE_OPTS; /bin/echo "050d 945a" > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/rtl819xU/new_id

2.) Then I obtained the firmware from here:
    "http://launchpadlibrarian.net/37387612/rtl8192sfw.bin.gz"
    and copied it to /lib/firmware/RTL8192SU/ with these commands:

wget "http://launchpadlibrarian.net/37387612/rtl8192sfw.bin.gz"
    gunzip rtl8192sfw.bin.gz
    sudo mkdir /lib/firmware/RTL8192SU
    sudo cp rtl8192sfw.bin /lib/firmware/RTL8192SU
    Afterwards, I restarted and all worked well. Perhaps others with this device will be able to get it running well too.

To expand on this process further, r8192s_usb is the kernel module("device driver") for devices with the RTL8192SU chipset. Since the module does not contain the device id for the wireless card, we use the trick demonstrated above to add it to the module without having to recompile it. This works on most distros newer than the stable branch of debian. On some like Suse, you have to install the staging package first(kmod-staging). I also had to add the firmware, dmesg is good for debugging that part. This same process can be used with other devices as long as you can find a module for the chipset and change the info in the lines accordingly.

Alternatives:
    compile closed source Realtek 8192SU driver - preforms like windows xp; good signal, not very stable
    use ndiswrapper with the windows driver - poor signal, not very stable
    Last edited by fdm; September 30th, 2011 at 04:14 PM.

Beans

Re: howto: Belkin F7D1101 with RTL8192SU from staging

I just finish following the directions in the howto and everything seems to be working. The device now connects to my home WPA wireless network and signal strength is good.

BIG THANK YOU!

xubuntu 10.04
    belkin f7d1101

Beans

I have successfully gotten this same adapter to work on Mepis 8.5 with these instructions. Thank you!

Beans

THANK YOU!

Got the Belkin F7D1101 working on Ubuntu 10.04 by following your steps, after trying a million other things failed, including using ndiswrapper.

Edit: WPA works fine as well.
    Last edited by bch36; August 12th, 2010 at 01:01 AM.

Beans

Okay, I followed everything, but I am still unable to connect to my router. I can see the list now, but I cannot connect to my router with a WEP key (shared), nor can I connect to an open network. Any Ideas?

Ubuntu 10.04

Beans

You say to copy to and create directory /lib/firmware/RTL8192SU

I was able to create the /RTL8192SU directory in my home directory, but I'm not able to move it to /lib/firmware. I keep getting "Error moving file: Permission denied". Thanks for any help. I've done fine, I think, up until this point. I installed 10.04 LTS last night and it's my first experience with Linux.

Beans

Alright, I figured that one out. now I can't get it to find the wireless. HELP!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thank you a million times over for this. Totally did the trick. After downloading the crap from the Realtek website it's definitely nice to see something that works besides ndiswrapper with a 32-bit kernel. This works for me on Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop amd64 just for anyone wondering. BTW, how did you happen to know to echo the usb id to that sys location? Where was that even documented?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yet another success. I actually got it to work first under Virtualbox with Windows XP as guest OS with Ubuntu 10.04 as host. I could see the device with lsusb, but I had no indication it was working in Ubuntu, but this cleared everything up. Many thanks indeed!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Can anyone confirm whether or not this works with 64 bit Ubuntu 10.04 please?

I used this to get the wireless card working on a 32 bit WUBI installation but I want to remove that and install 64 bit Ubuntu via the regular installation method so I can have more than 30GB of disk space and so I can use all of my RAM.

Thanks!

[edit]

Woops I just saw that someone posted above about getting this working on a 64 bit installation. Sorry.

[edit edit]

Just want to confirm that I did get this working with the 64 bit version of Ubuntu 10.04 using the directions in the first post.
    Last edited by jeremy1138; September 9th, 2010 at 01:49 PM.
    Registered Linux User # 451883 - Registered Ubuntu User # 16711

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast