Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did a Firefox 3.0b + Flash workaround ever surface?

Beans

Did a Firefox 3.0b + Flash workaround ever surface?

I've been running firefox-2 up until now, staying with it to keep my lovely addons, but now their developers all seem to have released new versions, so I upgraded and I basically like it. But, as with many others, flash doesn't work properly. The browser window itself doesn't crash, it just doesn't (always) display the flash content.

Did a workaround ever surface for this?

Beans

Re: Did a Firefox 3.0b + Flash workaround ever surface?

Perhaps you can be more specific about the problem you're having with Flash. I use Firefox 3.0b5 with Kubuntu Hardy and Flash 9.124 and I haven't experienced any circumstances where it didn't work. It may be that the site you're trying to view is poorly constructed.

Beans

Naturally.

While I wouldn't like to call it exclusively, it is mostly an issue with Youtube. Opening up any given video, there is a large chance of it not playing, instead ending up with a gray box where the player should be. I attached a screenshot of what it looks like; the terminal open contains the output from firefox-3.0.

I *am* running an x86_64 installation. If you can't relate to the issue at all, perhaps this is solely an 64-bit issue?

Code:
    zorael@sunspire:~$ uname -a
    Linux sunspire 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 12:47:45 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    zorael@sunspire:~$ apt-cache policy flashplugin-nonfree
    flashplugin-nonfree:
      Installed: 9.0.124.0ubuntu2
      Candidate: 9.0.124.0ubuntu2
      Version table:
     *** 9.0.124.0ubuntu2 0
            500 http://se.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/multiverse Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I am experiencing the same issue, and no it's not a 64-bit issue. Problem popped up immediately after upgrading to hardy (and therefore firefox 3.0b)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

In launchpad a workaround was posted, it works 50% of times, but its something XD. I made a HOWTO HERE: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=768448

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

problem was solved by installing the package libflashsupport and restarting firefox - that easy!

Beans

In x64, i've made my Firefox and Opera work flawlessly with latest flash and Java just with changing the x64 versions of them to x32 and manually installing flash and java into the corresponding plugin directories of the browsers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by descentspb View Post
    In x64, i've made my Firefox and Opera work flawlessly with latest flash and Java just with changing the x64 versions of them to x32 and manually installing flash and java into the corresponding plugin directories of the browsers.
    Could you perhaps go into detail on how to install a 32-bit FF3 onto an x86_64 platform? Is it merely a matter of grabbing the 32-bit .deb and installing, then making appropriate symlinks?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hunteramor View Post
    problem was solved by installing the package libflashsupport and restarting firefox - that easy!
    It also results in crashes for a large percentage of users, you could at least mention that... it's the reason libflashsupport was removed, after all: crashes are worse than no sound. It works for some, but it seems not even the majority(?). That includes compiling it yourself (it's the exact same).

Other workarounds include removing pulseaudio completely, using Firefox 2 or using one of the competitors instead, but those have horrible quality.

The real solution is to fix the instability in libflashsupport, but it's very silent on that front. It's the single point of failure.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

No one in my sticky complained of crashes after installing libflashsupport. Firefox crashed a few times before I installed libflashsupport, though.

Nathan

P.S. If anyone still has problems, try this command:

sudo apt-get purge flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common mozilla-plugin-gnash swfdec-mozilla && sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree libflashsupport

Restart Firefox. Added libflashsupport incase anyone missed it.
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; May 11th, 2008 at 10:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast