Page 89 of 241 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

I have only heard of ffmpegsource but have never used it myself. As for lavf and getting around the circular dependency if you want to use both FFmpeg/libx264 and x264/lavf, I suppose you would have to compile FFmpeg without --enable-libx264, compile x264, remove FFmpeg, and then re-compile FFmpeg with --enable-libx264.

Sounds good to me, but I haven't tried it.

Beans

They are actually not really enabled by default, but are autodetected like all other options (enabled if the relevant headers are installed).
    Thanks - that actually makes more sense than what I was at first thinking. though an even dumber question may be which comes first, - ffmpeg or x264, .. or x264 (no ffmpeg headers,), ffmpeg, an x264 redo..?
    (in light of the core ver. changing very quickly lately

edit:
    didn't see last reply, which seems another way..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Thanks - that actually makes more sense than what I was at first thinking. though an even dumber question may be which comes first, - ffmpeg or x264, .. or x264 (no ffmpeg headers,), ffmpeg, an x264 redo..?
    (in light of the core ver. changing very quickly lately

edit:
    didn't see last reply, which seems another way..
    I like your way better. Much less compiling time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Well, FFmpegSource originated as an AviSynth plugin (which is how I started out with it a few years ago), but as of the 2.x branch, is cross-platform.

You wouldn't have to compile x264 first, as the base requirement for FFmpegSource is only the decoding support, which x264 doesn't affect. There are certain benefits of using FFMS2 input over LAVF, but I can't remember exactly what they were (probably frame accuracy and some other things - it was listed in the posts concerning the difference over on Doom9 & Doom10).

I'd compile the decoder-only FFmpeg to a separate prefix, build FFMS2 against that prefix, build x264 as usual but against the decoder-only FFmpeg prefix and FFMS2, and then do a regular FFmpeg compile against that x264. That's probably the cleanest way. Don't ask me how to do that exactly, though - I only tried it once and didn't give it that kind of meticulous attention. I have no need for LAVF and FFMS2 input, so I just leave them out.
    Last edited by qyot27; February 19th, 2010 at 05:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Just a FYI: if x264 r1460 segfaults, it's not just you. It segfaults for me on five different machines, running three different OSes.

Beans
    Hidden!

AviSynth provides an encoder with a critical feature, that is the ability to do frame-accurate trimming on both video and audio. Once FFmpeg gets frame-accurate seek/trim, the need for avis will be decreased. Just for the record, there already is an extension to allow frame-accurate seek in ffmpeg.

But I think you just can't beat the amount of powerful functions and plugins avis has. It certainly is more convenient to use, at least on windows.
    Last edited by verb3k; February 24th, 2010 at 01:22 AM.
    Freedom is neither exclusive nor unlimited.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by verb3k View Post
    AviSynth provides an encoder with a critical feature, that is the ability to do frame-accurate trimming on both video and audio. Once FFmpeg gets frame-accurate seek/trim, the need for avis will be decreased. Just for the record, there already is an extension to allow frame-accurate seek in ffmpeg.

But I think you just can't beat the amount of powerful functions and plugins avis has. It certainly is more convenient to use, at least on windows.
    You can use it on Linux, and it's not that much of a hassle (as long as you don't use VSFilter ).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'll have to give that a look. I've been messing with Pitivi Video Editor, but it has some issues. In one case, the output had desynced video & audio. As in, the sound lagged slightly behind the video. Very annoying.

May have been because I was using .avi clips to make one larger clip. I guess Pitivi doesn't do "frame accurate" editing.

I tried again, using .mp4 files (converted courtesy ffmpeg at the command line) of the same source material. Video and audio came out in sync, but I also got some kind of audio artifact. Bah.

Beans

when trying to install ffmpeg after make I get lots of garbage, then it finishes off with...

libavcodec/svq3.c:552: error: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
    libavcodec/svq3.c:553: error: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
    libavcodec/svq3.c:627: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘memset’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /usr/include/bits/string3.h:78: note: expected ‘void *’ but argument is of type ‘int8_t’
    libavcodec/svq3.c: In function ‘svq3_decode_slice_header’:
    libavcodec/svq3.c:733: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    libavcodec/svq3.c:736: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    libavcodec/svq3.c:777: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘memset’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    /usr/include/bits/string3.h:78: note: expected ‘void *’ but argument is of type ‘int8_t’
    libavcodec/svq3.c:778: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘memset’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    libavcodec/svq3.c:781: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘memset’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    libavcodec/svq3.c:784: error: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
    make: *** [libavcodec/svq3.o] Error 1

i am using 9.10 64bit

anyone got any idea what I did wrong?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by flander3444 View Post
    when trying to install ffmpeg after make I get lots of garbage, then it finishes off with...

libavcodec/svq3.c:552: error: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
    libavcodec/svq3.c:553: error: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
    libavcodec/svq3.c:627: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘memset’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    libavcodec/svq3.c: In function ‘svq3_decode_slice_header’:
    libavcodec/svq3.c:733: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    libavcodec/svq3.c:736: warning: cast discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    libavcodec/svq3.c:777: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘memset’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    libavcodec/svq3.c:778: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘memset’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    libavcodec/svq3.c:781: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘memset’ makes pointer from integer without a cast
    libavcodec/svq3.c:784: error: subscripted value is neither array nor pointer
    make: *** [libavcodec/svq3.o] Error 1

i am using 9.10 64bit

anyone got any idea what I did wrong?

thanks
    Probably nothing, this seems to indicate a bug in the ffmpeg source code.

EDIT: I can't reproduce those results though, it works fine here both on Linux and OS X. Maybe update your ffmpeg source code?
    Last edited by Bachstelze; February 25th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Page 89 of 241 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast