Page 2 of 241 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Compile the latest ffmpeg and x264 from source

Thanks a bundle for this clear & concise set of instructions. Both installed perfectly. Only one question, bash can't find ffmpeg and x264, they are installed inside my home directory. What do I do to get them to run from bash with: ffmpeg?
    Thanks.

Beans

./configure returns this error when I try to compile.

Code:
    cc1: out of memory allocating 248 bytes after a total of 16900096 bytes
    make: *** [libavcodec/motion_est.o] Error 1
    Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vjktm View Post
    Thanks a bundle for this clear & concise set of instructions. Both installed perfectly. Only one question, bash can't find ffmpeg and x264, they are installed inside my home directory. What do I do to get them to run from bash with: ffmpeg?
    Thanks.
    What version of Ubuntu are you using? Do you have a modified .bashrc file? What are the outputs of "whereis ffmpeg" and "whereis x264"?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TArozzelle View Post
    ./configure returns this error when I try to compile.

Code:
    cc1: out of memory allocating 248 bytes after a total of 16900096 bytes
    make: *** [libavcodec/motion_est.o] Error 1
    Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    I haven't encountered this error before. Are you compiling within a virtual machine? My guess is you don't have enough RAM and/or swap, or the particular version of ffmpeg you are trying to compile has a bug.

What is the output of the "free" command? Also show the output of "cat /proc/meminfo".

Beans

Great tutorial!

I got it all working i believe, but i've got two questions:

1.) I've been trying many different combinations, but so far i have had no luck in creating a quicktime compatible x264. Any thoughts on how to do this? To my knowledge, the simple fact is that QuickTime doesn't support much of the features available to H264. So far i've had no real luck, but i have managed to turn a 10mb ogg into a 50mb mov.

2.) On the same note as #1, i've been making a friend suffer through testing my mov's on his windows box, since i dont have one heh. Anyone know of a good way to test QuickTime compatibility without being able to run.. quicktime?

3.) Lastly, FFMPEG from the repos will come with a "qt-faststart" command. Any idea how to build/download that functionality without replacing the FFMPEG build done via this tutorial?

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Leefmc View Post
    1.) I've been trying many different combinations, but so far i have had no luck in creating a quicktime compatible x264. Any thoughts on how to do this? To my knowledge, the simple fact is that QuickTime doesn't support much of the features available to H264. So far i've had no real luck, but i have managed to turn a 10mb ogg into a 50mb mov.
    I just tested my example script from this tutorial and the resulting mp4 file worked in Quicktime 7.5. What ffmpeg command are you using? Are you using the latest Quicktime? Some people use MP4Box (part of the gpac package) to help create iTunes/iPod compatible files after using ffmpeg to encode:
    Code:
    MP4Box -add video.mp4 video.mp4
    Another option, added in March and untested by me, is "-f ipod":
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i inputvideo.avi -f ipod outputvideo.mp4
    2.) On the same note as #1, i've been making a friend suffer through testing my mov's on his windows box, since i dont have one heh. Anyone know of a good way to test QuickTime compatibility without being able to run.. quicktime?
    I do my testing in a virtualized Windows session using VirtualBox. It works well for me. I doubt Quicktime will run under Wine.
    3.) Lastly, FFMPEG from the repos will come with a "qt-faststart" command. Any idea how to build/download that functionality without replacing the FFMPEG build done via this tutorial?
    Yes. qt-faststart is also included in your ffmpeg folder that you made from this tutorial. Cut and pasted from ~/ffmpeg/tools/qt-faststart.c because I'm a bad paraphraser:
    * This utility rearranges a Quicktime file such that the moov atom
    * is in front of the data, thus facilitating network streaming.
    * To compile this program, start from the base directory from which you
    * are building FFmpeg and type:
    * make tools/qt-faststart
    * The qt-faststart program will be built in the tools/ directory. If you
    * do not build the program in this manner, correct results are not
    * guaranteed, particularly on 64-bit platforms.
    * Invoke the program with:
    * qt-faststart <infile.mov> <outfile.mov>
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; July 7th, 2008 at 03:34 AM.

Beans

Thanks a lot for this useful guide. I use my ubuntu machine for file server and encoding purpose only. And you save me a lot of time.

By the way, if ubuntu asked me to update ffmpeg and x264, should I do it? I didn't do it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maxbear View Post
    Thanks a lot for this useful guide. I use my ubuntu machine for file server and encoding purpose only. And you save me a lot of time.

By the way, if ubuntu asked me to update ffmpeg and x264, should I do it? I didn't do it.
    If you didn't give ffmpeg and x264 new names in checkinstall then your package management software will try to "update" it to the outdated version from the repository. You can either uninstall and then run checkinstall again using a new name (like ffmpeg-svn), or if you use aptitude you can try:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude hold ffmpeg

Beans

Thanks a lot. You are super!

Beans

Ugh, im so bummed heh. I spent forever finding the right combinations of h264 settings and finally got everything right. Now i made the mistake of updating (apt-get update) and it just trashed my compiled ffmpeg junk. It was most likely just references, but none the less i eventually ended up starting over. Note that i did aptitude hold, but that didnt stop apt-get apparently.. what does it stop? Aptitude?

With all that said, now my new compile is not working right. Im getting errors when using ffmpeg:
    Code:
    *** glibc detected *** ffmpeg: free(): invalid pointer: 0x08757158 ***
    ======= Backtrace: =========
    /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6[0xb7b5fa85]
    /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(cfree+0x90)[0xb7b634f0]
    ffmpeg(av_set_string2+0x8fb)[0x80eff9b]
    ======= Memory map: ========
    08048000-08509000 r-xp 00000000 08:02 108607     /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg
    08509000-08513000 rw-p 004c0000 08:02 108607     /usr/local/bin/ffmpeg
    The only thing i did different this time is during checkinstall, i used custom names for ffmpeg, x264, and yasm, hoping that it would no longer be beat to death by apt-get.

Any thoughts onto whats wrong?

Page 2 of 241 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast