Page 47 of 241 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Thanks for keeping this guide updated. ffmpeg's configure script seems to change syntax on a monthly basis.

Also that checkinstall trick is very handy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    Thanks for keeping this guide updated. ffmpeg's configure script seems to change syntax on a monthly basis.

Also that checkinstall trick is very handy.
    I'm glad it has been useful, although, as you can see above, I don't get everything right. I must give credit to andrew.46 for much of the checkinstall stuff. I will be working on a new FFmpeg related screen capturing guide soon.

Beans

Does anyone know what system-wide effect there is by compiling with --enable-shared? I need to do this in order to get xine-vdpau svn to compile.

Does --enable-shared affect the usage of ffmpeg or is it just to provide shared libraries for other programs that need them, such as xine-vdpau? Does it affect other programs that depend on ffmpeg? I'm not clear how this works. I guess my question is, what other files are added to the ffmpeg package when using --enable-shared and what collateral effects does that have (if any)?

What effect will there be on other libav**** packages that are installed in the package manager? I have a few packages called libavformat, unstripped, etc... If I try to remove them they want to take a ton of programs with them. What is their role and does --enable-shared mess things up even further?

Thanks for any insight!
    Last edited by mocha; August 20th, 2009 at 10:01 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    Does anyone know what system-wide effect there is by compiling with --enable-shared? I need to do this in order to get xine-vdpau svn to compile.

Does --enable-shared affect the usage of ffmpeg or is it just to provide shared libraries for other programs that need them, such as xine-vdpau? Does it affect other programs that depend on ffmpeg? I'm not clear how this works. I guess my question is, what other files are added to the ffmpeg package when using --enable-shared and what collateral effects does that have (if any)?

What effect will there be on other libav**** packages that are installed in the package manager? I have a few packages called libavformat, unstripped, etc... If I try to remove them they want to take a ton of programs with them. What is their role and does --enable-shared mess things up even further?

Thanks for any insight!
    I've hardly ever used FFmpeg with --enable-shared, but I also haven't compiled many things that need that. I don't think this option will have any effect on other packages unless, of course, you are compiling something that needs that option. This is because this guide installs everything to /usr/local/lib instead of /usr/lib. This separation of compiled and system/repository packages creates a nice safety net. Repository packages should look for the usual repository versions of libavformat, unstripped, etc in /usr/lib, and your other compiled packages can use whatever is in /usr/local/lib. I think you can have repository packages utilize your compiled stuff in /usr/local/lib, but I'm unsure how to do that. That's more of a subject for mc4man. Package management is where my attention starts to fade out.

Installing with --enable-shared adds the following files and links:
    Code:
    /usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0.7.1
    /usr/local/lib/libavformat.so.52.37.0
    /usr/local/lib/libavcodec.so.52.32.0
    /usr/local/lib/libavdevice.so.52.2.0
    /usr/local/lib/libavutil.so.50.3.0
    /usr/local/lib/libavutil.so.50 -> libavutil.so.50.3.0
    /usr/local/lib/libavcodec.so -> libavcodec.so.52.32.0
    /usr/local/lib/libavformat.so -> libavformat.so.52.37.0
    /usr/local/lib/libavdevice.so.52 -> libavdevice.so.52.2.0
    /usr/local/lib/libswscale.so -> libswscale.so.0.7.1
    /usr/local/lib/libswscale.so.0 -> libswscale.so.0.7.1
    /usr/local/lib/libavutil.so -> libavutil.so.50.3.0
    /usr/local/lib/libavcodec.so.52 -> libavcodec.so.52.32.0
    /usr/local/lib/libavdevice.so -> libavdevice.so.52.2.0
    /usr/local/lib/libavformat.so.52 -> libavformat.so.52.37.0
    I compared the .deb files (one with --enabled-shared, one without) that are created in ~/ffmpeg after installing with checkinstall:
    Code:
    dpkg -c ffmpeg_3:0.svn20090820-12ubuntu3-1_i386.deb | cut - -c 50- > ffmpegdebshared.txt
    The only thing addition to this guide is to run sudo ldconfig after your shared FFmpeg installation to update the links to the new shared libraries; otherwise you might get some errors if you try using FFmpeg. Also, stay away from any libav*-dev packages if you're going to compile FFmpeg and other things that want a compiled FFmpeg. I'm not sure if they actually cause problems for such a setup, but I have a shadow of a memory that indicates that it has caused issues for some users.

Does anyone know what system-wide effect there is by compiling with --enable-shared
    I don't see any real issue following the guide here and enabling shared. The packages you have or install that depend on libav*s will use the existing ones.
    What happens, or what you can control when you build against not exactly sure, would be easy to test.

From my viewpoint of updating hardy to whatever extent possible, building ffmpeg and everything else off of it and doing all as packages was the best choice, the least of which of just keeping track, I think my local repo is about 130 packages now.

Plus there's the assurance that anything built or installed that uses libavcodec will use the current one.

Anyway I'm somewhat surprised your saying that xine-lib needs to build off of the shared libs, it would seem more likely it needs the dev files. (possibly it has some shared libs as install depends,

Would be curious to know what source your using, and if the config or build is failing, what's the error(s).

The xine-vdpau source I saw only needed the -dev's, and for interest's sake also took a look at xine-lib-1.2.

Actually both failed the build in exactly the same manner due to a faulty ff_video_decoder.c file ( at least using an ffmpeg build from yesterday.

So if you get an error concerning 'ff_video_decoder.c' let me know, I patched it so the build would complete, (on xine-lib-1.2), though haven't checked for any unintended issues. ( and probably can't as 1.2 is useless here.
    Last edited by mc4man; August 21st, 2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: spelling

small note slightly off topic to thread

Happened to be on a jaunty live cd so got this source of xine-vdpau

svn co svn://jusst.de/xine-vdpau
    Checked out revision 279.
    Using just the jaunty repo libav*s (-devs) and adding a few other packages it built just fine. (libpostproc-dev is a must, as is cvs

Using the latest ffmpeg svn, built as described here, (static and shared, enabled postproc), the build failed as described previously.

So while the source can be patched to work with latest svn ffmpeg, you shouldn't have any issues with the jaunty repo version (if that's what your using, the intrepid repo version is a bit to old

That svn source of xine-vdpau seems a bit old, don't know how well it would work
    Last edited by mc4man; August 21st, 2009 at 08:38 AM.

Beans

The main problem on my end is that something is broken. I can't even install the libav dev or libpostproc dev packages anymore. Note, I believe this happened from installing debs from getdeb.net. It seems to trace back to some dvd-slideshow program. Probably if I cleared all this stuff out everything would resolve again.

Code:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      libavformat-dev: Depends: libavcodec-dev (= 3:0.svn20090303-1ubuntu6) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Broken packages
    Even though nothing in synaptic is shown as broken.

I did compile ffmpeg r18991 (an older version) with --enable-shared and then I was able to compile the latest svn of xine-vdpau. My ffmpeg and xine-vdpau are both in /usr/local, so I guess that's why it works.

Thanks for all the information.
    Last edited by mocha; August 21st, 2009 at 09:44 AM.

Beans

Okay I figured out what the problem is. I figured it out by looking at dvdstyler in the jaunty repo. dvdstyler depends on the libavcodec-unstripped-52 and libavutil-unstripped-49 packages, but you can't install any of the libav dev packages when these unstripped packages are installed. I guess most of you don't use dvdstyler?? What a shame!

This is actually a big problem for others too, see https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...eg/+bug/312898 This bug report relates it to ffmpeg so you might want to review this fakeoutdoorsman. Apparently it's fixed in karmic by including the necessary dev files in the unstripped packages as well. Quote from the bug report:

"So if (in karmic) libavcodec-dev can now be satisfied by having libavcodec- unstripped, etc., then it's all good. thanks!"
    Last edited by mocha; August 21st, 2009 at 06:06 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
    That's not an error; x264 will simply disable B-pyramid if it's on and MB-tree isn't turned off.

Don't spread misinformation; if such a problem existed, I wouldn't have committed MB-tree. MB-tree simply doesn't help fades, so it's possible for them to look relatively worse if the rest of the video got a lot better.

Or encode at a lower resolution, or upgrade to 64-bit.

That error seems odd, since I can encode 1080p with -vpre hq just fine on 32-bit Windows despite the overhead of Avisynth input, so I suspect something may be weird/broken on your end, like a miscompiled ffmpeg and rc-lookahead being set to a very large value (you can tell how large rc-lookahead is by the number of frames x264 buffers before it starts encoding).

Additionally note that the malloc-checking was added only recently; prior to that, x264 would have just silently crashed.

how to upgrade to 64'

Beans

It looks like you need a Computer Science degree to install ffmpeg properly on Linux, but this tutorial works like charm.
    The best I've come across.
    To convert your flash video loaded from Internet to 3gp that you can play on your mobile phone use something like:

ffmpeg -i input.flv -s qcif -vcodec h263 -acodec libfaac -ac 1 -ar 22050 -r 25 -ab 128 -y output.3gp

Page 47 of 241 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast