Page 40 of 240 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Hi FakeOutDoorsman,

Apropos of my previous post I have written another guide in a 'linux basics' series that may or may not be of some use to readers of your guide:

Linux Basics: A gentle introduction to accessing 'svn' repositories
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1167578

The special relevance to your FFmpeg guide is that I have used the FFmpeg svn repository as an example throughout the guide. Not sure if this is any help as you have covered the most immediate svn needs already...

All the best,

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Hi All -

Looking for some help. Everything went well until step4 - Install FFmpeg

When performing make I get this error:
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.so: undefined reference to `faacDecDecode'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.so: undefined reference to `faacDecInit2'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.so: undefined reference to `faacDecClose'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.so: undefined reference to `faacDecOpen'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.so: undefined reference to `faacDecSetConfiguration'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.so: undefined reference to `faacDecInit'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.so: undefined reference to `faacDecGetCurrentConfiguration'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.so: undefined reference to `faacDecGetErrorMessage'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [ffmpeg_g] Error 1

I have Jaunty and I'm not too sure what else you need to help - please let me know and I will post. Ultimate goal is to get Fuppes to transcode but gotta get ffmpeg working first.

Rob

Beans

I just compiled FFmpeg revision SVN-r18971 on Jaunty and encountered no errors. There may have been issues with your particular revision. I recommend trying the newest revision. Go to the Updating Your Installation secion of the guide and start at cd ~/ffmpeg. Let me know if that does not work.

Beans

Thanks for the response! The latest was revision 18972 and now I have this error:

/home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libavcodec.a(libfaad.o): In function `faac_decode_init':
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libfaad.c:252: undefined reference to `faacDecOpen'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libfaad.c:253: undefined reference to `faacDecClose'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libfaad.c:254: undefined reference to `faacDecGetCurrentConfiguration'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libfaad.c:255: undefined reference to `faacDecSetConfiguration'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libfaad.c:256: undefined reference to `faacDecInit'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libfaad.c:257: undefined reference to `faacDecInit2'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libfaad.c:258: undefined reference to `faacDecDecode'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libfaad.c:260: undefined reference to `faacDecGetErrorMessage'
    /home/rob/ffmpeg/libavcodec/libfaad.c:274: undefined reference to `faacDecOpen'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [ffmpeg_g] Error 1
    rob@Base:~/ffmpeg$

Do you need more information?

Rob

Beans

Did you change anything from the guide? Give the output of:
    Code:
    tail ~/ffmpeg/config.err

Beans

I copy/paste. I have tried a number of tutorials before I got to this but fuppes would never transcode. I thought this tutorial may be the answer but now I cant play anything using Mplayer/ splayer/ vlc, etc.

Here is the output:

rob@Base:~/ffmpeg$ tail ~/ffmpeg/config.err
    END /tmp/ffconf.qJgELLYM.c
    gcc -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -std=c99 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -g -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wtype-limits -Wundef -O3 -fno-math-errno -fno-signed-zeros -c -o /tmp/ffconf.cZhmsYxD.o /tmp/ffconf.qJgELLYM.c
    check_asm asmalign_pot ".align 3"
    check_as
    BEGIN /tmp/ffconf.qJgELLYM.c
    1 void foo(void){ __asm__ volatile(".align 3"); }
    END /tmp/ffconf.qJgELLYM.c
    gcc -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -std=c99 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -g -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -Wtype-limits -Wundef -O3 -fno-math-errno -fno-signed-zeros -c -o /tmp/ffconf.cZhmsYxD.o /tmp/ffconf.qJgELLYM.c
    /tmp/ffconf.qJgELLYM.c: Assembler messages:
    /tmp/ffconf.qJgELLYM.c:1: Error: alignment not a power of 2
    rob@Base:~/ffmpeg$

Beans

I'm not sure what is causing your error and I can't duplicate it. I would guess it is a conflict with an installed package; possibly from a non-Ubuntu repository. Check /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ for any non-Ubuntu repositories.

Perhaps the problem is caused by the prior tutorials you followed. Do you have links to those tutorials?

If I can't figure this out the next step is asking for help in the #ffmpeg IRC channel or at the ffmpeg-user mailing list.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks for the how to. Worked like a charm. How often do those packages get updated? Does svn trunk mean it is more of a stable than the beta packages? I have understood svn to be beta stuff, but that is more just my impression than factual.

Shane

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post
    Thanks for the how to. Worked like a charm. How often do those packages get updated?
    Glad it worked for you. Development is active for both FFmpeg and x264. Yesterday there were two updates to FFmpeg and Saturday had eight updates. You can see a FFmpeg changelog with:
    Code:
    svn log -l 6 svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk
    The option -l 6 will display the last six log entries. You can view the x264 changelog in your browser. Your installed FFmpeg and x264 packages can be updated as often as you would like. Refer to the "Updating Your Installation" section of the guide.

Does svn trunk mean it is more of a stable than the beta packages? I have understood svn to be beta stuff, but that is more just my impression than factual.

Shane
    I'm not aware of any FFmpeg beta packages and since I've been using FFmpeg it was always recommended to use SVN. It is the bleeding-edge and I have experienced errors, but the are relatively rare and usually fixed by the next day. From ffmpeg.org/download.html:
    FFmpeg has always been a very experimental and developer-driven project. It is a key component in many multimedia projects and has new features added constantly. SVN snapshots work really well 99% of the time so people are not afraid to use them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    Glad it worked for you. Development is active for both FFmpeg and x264. Yesterday there were two updates to FFmpeg and Saturday had eight updates. You can see a FFmpeg changelog with:
    Code:
    svn log -l 6 svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk
    The option -l 6 will display the last six log entries. You can view the x264 changelog in your browser. Your installed FFmpeg and x264 packages can be updated as often as you would like. Refer to the "Updating Your Installation" section of the guide.

I'm not aware of any FFmpeg beta packages and since I've been using FFmpeg it was always recommended to use SVN. It is the bleeding-edge and I have experienced errors, but the are relatively rare and usually fixed by the next day. From ffmpeg.org/download.html:
    FFmpeg has always been a very experimental and developer-driven project. It is a key component in many multimedia projects and has new features added constantly. SVN snapshots work really well 99% of the time so people are not afraid to use them.
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

Shane

Page 40 of 240 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast