Page 211 of 241 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 2402

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Do users here that use ffmpeg directly consider FFmpeg superior to Libav or is it just a matter of personal preference & both are pretty much equal?
    I have to admit to laziness in that I started with FFmpeg and have never actually tried Libav . Allied with this laziness is a certain disquiet over the fork process and thus an ideological unwillingless to jump ship but perhaps more to the point is the knowledge that Libav changes are for the most part incorporated into the FFmpeg code base.

Interesting to hear what others think .
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I have to admit to laziness in that I started with FFmpeg and have never actually tried Libav . Allied with this laziness is a certain disquiet over the fork process and thus an ideological unwillingless to jump ship but perhaps more to the point is the knowledge that Libav changes are for the most part incorporated into the FFmpeg code base.

Interesting to hear what others think .
    Anyway I decided to file a bug on what is shown in 12.04 when someone runs 'ffmpeg ...'
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...av/+bug/939863

Beans

I attached a patch to the bug that re-words the completely misleading statement. It will be interesting to see what the maintainer says if he decides not to change it even when presented with an easy, simple patch.

I can't say much about libav. I have little experience with it and have similar feelings about the whole thing as Andrew. FFmpeg does regularly merge commits from it, so there shouldn't be too many differences for a general user as Andrew mentioned. The FFmpeg developers are friendly and helpful to me so there's that too.

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    I attached a patch to the bug that re-words the completely misleading statement. It will be interesting to see what the maintainer says if he decides not to change it even when presented with an easy, simple patch.
    Interesting indeed, I believe the maintainer was in the orig. break away group.

This came back into my thinking about because of a unreasonably extended break in audacious's ffmpeg decoding. In terms of 11.10 & 12.04 with the aud 3.14/3.2 source, the only reason the plugin wasn't being built was due to aud basing it's libavcodec ect. version numbers on FFmoeg's, which always higher for the same major
    In the case of 12.04 the req. was libavcodec >= 53.40.0 & libav provides libavcodec53.34.0 which does support the ffaudio plugin fine.

(- It's almost fixed in 12.04's aud, the source was patched, built, & due to a small omission still was missing the plugin.
    The patch used seemed to unnecessarily complicated for the Aud source being used & was consequently 'discussed' for quite some time.

Beans

It will be very interesting to see the progress of the fork and the effects on FFmpeg itself. A great wikipedia article here discusses some of the possibilities:

Forking free and open source software

The 'four possible outcome of a fork' certainly puts the potential end-game very neatly...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Do users here that use ffmpeg directly consider FFmpeg superior to Libav or is it just a matter of personal preference & both are pretty much equal?
    During the upheaval period, I used the ffmpeg.org 'main' repo, which differed from the Videolan repo in ways that Libav still differs. Since the site properly went back to FFmpeg and the fork went off on their own, I've switched to using the master (Videolan) repo. The only exception is that when I build mplayer2, I go into the clone of Libav it uses and then specifically pull in the changes from FFmpeg master, although sometimes I have actually just deleted the directory and done a regular clone of FFmpeg to use (especially in a couple of cases where the pull didn't cleanly merge and I didn't want to mess with resolving it).

Personally, my distaste for the fork is due to the blow-up, as well as the behavior exhibited by the group* and their supporters (including some of those involved with a few software projects that use the libraries, including x264) in the time since. I see it from a slightly different angle because it also seems to be a certain, dare I say 'clique', of users that also have a presence in the fansubbing scene, and this - pardon the expression - pissing match that the fork revels in is just one part of a trend I've witnessed growing in that scene over the last 3 or 4 years. It's extremely annoying there too (to where I now attempt to actively avoid groups that participate in such behavior), and while the software side doesn't seem as inflammatory as those using it, I haven't seen any attempt to defuse the situation.

*Look at the Download page on libav.org and the Download page on ffmpeg.org - the fork provides no links to the original project, while FFmpeg acknowledges Libav's existence and provides links to their repo. That's simply one example of many where the fork just makes itself look completely childish and petty.

As far as the code itself goes, FFmpeg merges in work done in the fork anyway (which, if the release posts are to be believed, FFmpeg includes all changes from the fork, although I know from following the git repo that either not all commits to the fork need to be merged because they're duplicates, or occasionally they get reverted), along with what seems to be increased activity on FFmpeg's part beyond what gets merged in from Libav, or also now from additional forks I've seen spring up in the merge messages. I can't say much for anything special that exists only in Libav, since I couldn't figure out a good method to find only the unique commits and just gave up. I should probably try to do so again, even if just for curiosity's sake.

Beans

I am a new user here. May I know if I wanna test x264 codec, how do I put in a short video sequence in the the code. I tried steps 1-3 but have no idea how to put in the video. Anyone here kind enough to give me some guidance?

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Man, dear... author of the first post in this thread.

I, hereby, admit, that your work is greatly appreciated, to unbelivelable extent. Your work and information given in this post saves me.

I worked hard on screencasting using a number of diffrent apps, like recordmydesktop, istanbul, winff, wink, kazam and vlc. Only recordmydesktop gave me some results, but again, youtube stopped processing them. So I was stuck. I struggled for half a month, with no luck, being constantly more stressed and pissed off.

After reading your post, I compiled and installed all ffmpeg related software and they were working. Then I started to record my screen and this was working too. Finally I converted them into mkv format and they worked brilliantly! Also, youtube uploaded them with no problems, so now I'm so happy and relaxed because of you! YOU!

So I would like to say big THANK YOU and with this let me express my love to the open source community and all *unix related world!

You give me outstanding help and thank's to you I've do awesome job. LOVE YOU!

I wish all of you the best!

Here's the story:
    8) =D>

Beans

Ubuntu 11.10 - 3.2.0-17-generic

Hello,

First of all. Thanks for the guide, it was really helpful for installing the FFmpeg with all the libs included.

I've been trying to stream my webcam using stream-m

No success so far. I have the server running... but I can't stream my webcam to the server.

I'm using this:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f video4linux2 -s 320x240 -r 16 -i /dev/video0 -f oss -i /dev/dsp -g 52 -acodec libvorbis -ab 64k -vcodec libvpx -vb 448k -f webm http://localhost:8080/publish/first?password=secret
    I get this:
    Code:
    ffmpeg version git-2012-02-27-a4c22e3 Copyright (c) 2000-2012 the FFmpeg developers
      built on Feb 27 2012 13:32:57 with gcc 4.6.1
      configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab --enable-libvpx
      libavutil      51. 41.100 / 51. 41.100
      libavcodec     54.  4.100 / 54.  4.100
      libavformat    54.  1.100 / 54.  1.100
      libavdevice    53.  4.100 / 53.  4.100
      libavfilter     2. 62.101 /  2. 62.101
      libswscale      2.  1.100 /  2.  1.100
      libswresample   0.  7.100 /  0.  7.100
      libpostproc    52.  0.100 / 52.  0.100
    [video4linux2,v4l2 @ 0xa141c40] The driver changed the time per frame from 1/16 to 1/15
    [video4linux2,v4l2 @ 0xa141c40] Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
    Input #0, video4linux2,v4l2, from '/dev/video0':
      Duration: N/A, start: 12783.292514, bitrate: 18432 kb/s
        Stream #0:0: Video: rawvideo (YUY2 / 0x32595559), yuyv422, 320x240, 18432 kb/s, 15 tbr, 1000k tbn, 15 tbc
    [oss @ 0xa1427e0] /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
    /dev/dsp: Input/output error

It's probably some compatibility issue with OSS and Ubuntu, but I couldn't figure out how to solve that problem. I would be happy if someone can help me.

Beans

hi, great tutorial and its been very helpful (many times).

However, when i use -acodec libfaac i seem to end up with a broken sound bite about half a second long at the start of the video and then silence for the rest.

I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue and/or how to fix it?

Many thanks

Page 211 of 241 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221 ... LastLast