Page 182 of 241 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232 ... LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 2402

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Quote Originally Posted by shreepads View Post
    Is there a way of compiling the latest ffmpeg and x264 code but without installing it, so that it is run when needed from command line? Essentially not have to use sudo (other than to install necessary dependencies from the standard repositories).

I am a little worried about affecting other apps that I have installed as a result of doing this and having to deal with apt-get problems. I have done this before for mplayer (like this, to get VDPAU support) so I think there should be a way of doing this.
    Even though you solved it yourself, for anyone else reading this is the course of action/reasoning needed:

--prefix=$HOME/yourdirectory will cause 'make install' to install the desired package to the 'yourdirectory' directory in $HOME ($HOME, ~/, and /home/username all point to the same place). Because you are installing it to an area of the system that your user has control over, there's no need to use sudo.

If this needs to be linked against other projects that have been installed to $HOME/yourdirectory, you then must specify those with --extra-cflags and --extra-ldflags commands, or in some cases, with PKG_CONFIG_PATH or FFMPEG_CFLAGS or so on. It depends on the programs involved and what their build systems dictate.

Finally, when running those programs which are not on your PATH, you must use ./ (for example, ./ffmpeg or ./x264) when calling them, lest they fail to run.
    Last edited by qyot27; August 13th, 2011 at 04:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi
    In post #1 way back at page 1.
    What's the difference between the commands
    Part 3:- Get the current source files, compile, and install x264
    and
    Part 7:- This allows x264 to accept just about any input that FFmpeg...

Beans

If you follow section 7 you will be able to use many different formats as inputs for x264 from the commandline. Which is to say you can input many different containers and codecs, without this x264 is somewhat limited in the containers and formats it will deal with as inputs.

Totally unnecessary if you do not use x264 directly from the commandline. The option will show here:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~$ x264 --help | head -n 13
    x264 core:116 r2057 0ba8a9c
    Syntax: x264 [options] -o outfile infile

Infile can be raw (in which case resolution is required),
      or YUV4MPEG (*.y4m),
      or Avisynth if compiled with support (no).
      or libav* formats if compiled with lavf support (yes) or ffms support (no).
    Outfile type is selected by filename:
     .264 -> Raw bytestream
     .mkv -> Matroska
     .flv -> Flash Video
     .mp4 -> MP4 if compiled with GPAC support (yes)
    Output bit depth: 8 (configured at compile time)
    It has been a while since I have looked at L-SMASH integrated x264 but I would guess that one day having an L-SMASH copy + FFmpeg import abilities would substantially increase the value of x264 as a commandline application in its own right.
    Last edited by andrew.46; August 14th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    It has been a while since I have looked at L-SMASH integrated x264 but I would guess that one day having an L-SMASH copy + FFmpeg import abilities would substantially increase the value of x264 as a commandline application in its own right.
    Eh, IMO that depends on one's feelings toward multi-format or singular-format encoders.

Of course, this is also different between Linux and Windows. x264 has supported AviSynth for nearly as long as x264 has been worked on, which is, well, a really long time, development-wise (that's revision 161).

Since AviSynth is Windows-only, they're the only ones that got the benefit*; to achieve equivalent functionality on Linux, it was necessary to either A) use an x264-equipped build of FFmpeg, or B) pipe data into x264. LAVF/FFMS2 support was meant to supersede users having to use pipes and to increase x264's possible user friendliness.

*yes, it is fully possible to use AviSynth and a Windows build of x264 in Wine, although you won't be able to use DirectShowSource() or possibly other system-dependent filters. Windows x264 builds actually work better under Wine than they do on Windows, at least as far as I saw when I compared the performance a few years ago.

L-SMASH is primarily an alternative MP4 muxer; the audio encoding support is actually a separate project that gets included in the L-SMASH branch and patch for reasons of convenience.

As Windows users had that input-agnostic functionality for almost 5 years before that, though, that's why I mentioned it. Over there, x264 is typically used by itself (disclaimer for trusting anything online, but it is certainly true when looking at many encoding GUIs: they just call x264 directly and may do external muxing in a subsequent stage). That was true well before LAVF/FFMS2 support, and afterward. LAVF/FFMS2 on Windows really serves more of the purpose of providing multi-format input support for those users that have an aversion to using AviSynth.
    Last edited by qyot27; August 14th, 2011 at 12:49 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
    L-SMASH is primarily an alternative MP4 muxer; the audio encoding support is actually a separate project that gets included in the L-SMASH branch and patch for reasons of convenience.
    I was not aware of that, is this the audio branch:

https://github.com/Kovensky/x264-audio/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I was not aware of that, is this the audio branch:

https://github.com/Kovensky/x264-audio/
    Yep, as the 'kaudio' branch on x264_L-SMASH is identical to that repository. I don't know how far along progress is on the audio portions, though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ron999 View Post
    Part 7:- This allows x264 to accept just about any input that FFmpeg...
    Yeah... I should probably elaborate that a bit more on the guide to make it more clear, but I probably won't get to it for a few days. I saw the sun today for the first time in three weeks. It's been cloudy.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMey View Post
    I compiled FFMPEG, there wasn't problems. I expected to have version 0.8 of ffmpeg, but now I have N-31831-g931187e version... What is this strange number?
    I assume N stands for Michael Niedermayer, the Self-Appointed (I think) FFmpeg Benevolent Dictator For Life (SA-FFbdfl). 31831 is a Subversion style version number indicating that your version of FFmpeg is the 31831th update to the source. g931187e is similar to 31831, and is the shortened Git hash that corresponds to a certain commit.

But now, I would need the dependencies that are in this page: http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/ffmpeg. I thought they were to be compiled when compiling ffmpeg, but no.
    Are you using Oneiric already? Compiling FFmpeg as shown in this guide will not create all of these packages shown in your link, but it should provide most of the files that these packages contain. So no, you shouldn't have to install the packages on your link.

Should I compile all of them?
    No, because if you followed this guide you probably should already have the necessary files for anything that you're compiling that depends on a recent FFmpeg.

I need ffmpeg 0.8, because a branch of Blender requires it.
    What branch? Where are you getting this Blender version?

I need to compile ffmpeg, because I want to encode in x264.
    You can also encode with x264 via the repository FFmpeg (or libav as of Natty since Ubuntu dropped FFmpeg for libav) if you install an additional package as shown here:

HOWTO: Easily enable MP3, MPEG4, AAC, and other restricted encoders in FFmpeg

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    I saw the sun today for the first time in three weeks. It's been cloudy.
    Come to Australia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    I assume N stands for Michael Niedermayer, the Self-Appointed (I think) FFmpeg Benevolent Dictator For Life (SA-FFbdfl). 31831 is a Subversion style version number indicating that your version of FFmpeg is the 31831th update to the source. g931187e is similar to 31831, and is the shortened Git hash that corresponds to a certain commit.
    Technically, 31831 is the number of revisions since the N tag. The N tag is assigned to the first commit, hence, the number of commits since the first commit.

To treat it like a Subversion revision, you actually have to add 1, because the method used there - of counting since a tag - means the tag is understood as essentially a 'revision 0', whereas Subversion treats the first revision as 1 (as does using git rev-list to just count the total # of revisions). I actually replace version.sh with a local version that prints the revision info in a way I like better, wherein 'N-31831-g931187e' would change to 'r31832 git-931187e', which I find easier to parse mentally.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46
    Come to Australia
    I know I'd love to, even if only to escape this blasted heat (even though I could go to Seattle for that relief too; it's a lot closer - not that I could afford any sort of vacation, though).

Page 182 of 241 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183184192232 ... LastLast