Page 171 of 241 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 2402

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    Thanks for keeping up with the upstream changes, everyone. I was able to borrow a laptop in Norway to update the guides.
    That could be the opening lines in a great novel: "I was able to borrow a laptop in Norway.....". Have a great time up there!!!
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wow! Great thread...all 170 pages of it. This thread was started in 2008 so before I dive in and read it from end-to-end I want to be sure it is necessary to do so.

I simply want to install the latest cinelerra-cv which uses ffmpeg. I am using Ubuntu 10.10. Can't I just install ffmpeg and cinelerra from the repositories now assuming that enough time has elapsed and the repositories are up-to-date?

Thanks for the effort and time you put into this.
    New To Linux? So am I.
    http://linux4noobs.blogspot.com/

Beans

thanks all.. for a couple of days my build script wasn't working but it worked again after adding --enable-static as someone mentioned here.

just a dumb question , if i follow the guide as in the first step, and then i use ffmpeg with -vcodec libx264 , will i be using the same build of libx264 as if i were to call the x264 cli directly? i am comfortable with the x264 parameters and tunings but now i require some of the rtmp stuff that ffmpeg can do, and i would like to be using the latest libx264 builds (because i want all the newer low-latency stuff). i'm also a bit confused about how to pass the familiar flags from x264 cli , using ffmpeg. at the moment i'm using -fpre and specifying the path of a config file , and it seems to set parameters correctly, but what is the differences (if any) between -vpre and -fpre ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Quote Originally Posted by wim.glenn View Post
    thanks all.. for a couple of days my build script wasn't working but it worked again after adding --enable-static as someone mentioned here.

just a dumb question , if i follow the guide as in the first step, and then i use ffmpeg with -vcodec libx264 , will i be using the same build of libx264 as if i were to call the x264 cli directly? i am comfortable with the x264 parameters and tunings but now i require some of the rtmp stuff that ffmpeg can do, and i would like to be using the latest libx264 builds (because i want all the newer low-latency stuff). i'm also a bit confused about how to pass the familiar flags from x264 cli , using ffmpeg. at the moment i'm using -fpre and specifying the path of a config file , and it seems to set parameters correctly, but what is the differences (if any) between -vpre and -fpre ?
    If x264 was built as static and ffmpeg was built as static, then yes, ffmpeg is using the same version as x264 CLI.

Someone else will have to tackle the preset usage changes, though. I thought that was already in the first post?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wim.glenn View Post
    i'm also a bit confused about how to pass the familiar flags from x264 cli , using ffmpeg. at the moment i'm using -fpre and specifying the path of a config file , and it seems to set parameters correctly, but what is the differences (if any) between -vpre and -fpre ?
    I am ready to be corrected here, even from Norway if Fakeoutdoorsman gets online again!! The state of play at the moment (current git) is that now FFmpeg can use x264 presets, and to do this the -preset option is used. Details of these options can be seen with x264 --fullhelp and are illustrated quite nicely in Fakeoutdoorsman's guide. There are also a few of the old presets remaining:

Code:
    root@skamandros/home/andrew# find /usr -iname '*ffpreset'
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libvpx-720p50_60.ffpreset
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libx264-lossless_slow.ffpreset
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libvpx-720p.ffpreset
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libvpx-1080p.ffpreset
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libvpx-1080p50_60.ffpreset
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libx264-baseline.ffpreset
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libx264-lossless_slower.ffpreset
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libvpx-360p.ffpreset
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libx264-lossless_fast.ffpreset
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libx264-lossless_max.ffpreset
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libx264-lossless_ultrafast.ffpreset
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libx264-ipod320.ffpreset
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libx264-ipod640.ffpreset
    /usr/share/ffmpeg/libx264-lossless_medium.ffpreset
    Just ignore the libvpx ones! These can be utilised with the old -vpre option. The final option is to create your own presets and load them, with their path, using the -fpre option. Hopefully that is a clear description, anybody feel free to correct me!

Edit: I can correct myself, I saw this link elsewhere in the Forums:

3.10 Preset files
    http://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-doc.html#SEC13

which explains some of the differences in methods of calling the presets vs -fpre / -apre / -vpre etc..
    Last edited by andrew.46; May 16th, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Thank you very much
    Was away for the weekend, and could not respond.

./configure --enable-static has helped. Everything went fine!

Beans

thankyou , i will continue to use the -fpre arg then

Beans

i can rename the folders x264, ffmpeg, libpvx in: .x264, .ffmpeg and .libpvx? it's possibile that there are problem about find something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    Thanks for keeping up with the upstream changes, everyone. I was able to borrow a laptop in Norway to update the guides.
    Now that's dedication.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by fruttosio View Post
    i can rename the folders x264, ffmpeg, libpvx in: .x264, .ffmpeg and .libpvx? it's possibile that there are problem about find something?
    Yes, you can do that.
    The only change you must do, replace all names (x264, libpvx & ffmpeg) with new names (.x264, .libpvx & .ffmpeg) of commands to your path folder.
    e.g.
    Code:
    cd ~/x264
    to
    Code:
    cd ~/.x264
    Desktop : Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx i386
    AMD ATHLON II X2 215 │ 3072Mb │ GeForce 210 512MB | LG W2243S : 1920 x 1080
    Laptop : Sony Vaio VGN-N11m : Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot i386

Page 171 of 241 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221 ... LastLast