Page 136 of 241 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 2402

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Hi mocha,

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46
    Fakeoutdoorsman's guide lured me to FFmpeg a long time ago but it might be of interest for some to hear that it is now possible to use presets to transcode with x264 in the latest svn MEncoder...
    As my Russian computer science professor used to say, "how to do?" Please enlighten us Andrew.46.
    I must apologise for this epic necropost, this slipped my mind until I ran into the same issue on Doom 9 . For standard 'film' transcoding the x264 options can be set with some variation on the following:

Code:
    -ovc x264 -x264encopts preset=slow:tune=film:crf=22
    FFmpeg still the far superior tool though...

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Winff and /usr/bin

It can be tricky to use ffmpeg and ffplay with some other applications in Ubuntu. This is because many applications look for these two executables at /usr/bin, though, after the installation as instructed above, mine were landed at /usr/local/bin .

Therefore, Winff convertor for example was giving me the error: Cannot find ffplay. The solution for Winff is simple: just go to the menu Edit > Preferences > Linux and change the path of ffmpeg and ffplay by browsing into the folder /usr/local/bin .

Weird why this happens. Dunno if there will be any problems with other preset apps, or if there is any other easy way to bypass this (e.g. install directly on /usr/bin, as the original debian package does.

Beans

Re: Winff and /usr/bin

This is a known bug in WinFF. Bug status is "fixed": Issue 56: Add /usr/local/bin for FFplay executable search

It's not recommended to install user compiled packages into /usr/bin due to a chance of interfering with important system files and/or packages from the repository.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Winff and /usr/bin

Just a little note for those interested, now that Meerkat is out, I have updated my little script for Meerkat / Maverick support:

http://code.google.com/p/x264-ffmpeg-up-to-date/

Though, Ubuntu's servers are still very slow, so it runs slowly at the moment (due to apt-get update taking an age).

Beans

I see yet another reason to run the subversion FFmpeg, the MPlayer cropdetect filter finally arrived in FFmpeg this morning my time . Syntax that has worked for me is:

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -ss 00:10:00 -i <input_file> \
           -vf cropdetect=24:16:0 -vframes 200 \
           -f rawvideo -an /dev/null
    The cropdetect options I have given are the defaults and the filter works beautifully!!!

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

I've now managed to compile ffmpeg with x264 library on Ubuntu 10.10 x64 as shared libraries, since ZoneMinder requires shared libraries.
    I ran into problems where it said that I needed to recompile with -fPIC, and when I looked in the x264's config.mak file, it was included in the list of arguments.

Please note that these changes to the original guide by FakeOutdoorsman would only be necessary for x64 Linux installations!

Here's how I did it, with steps 1 - 2 given in the original post.
    Install x264
    3. Get the current source files, compile, and install.
    Code:
    cd
    git clone git://git.videolan.org/x264.git
    cd x264
    ./configure --enable-shared
    Important part:
    In config.mak, I moved -fPIC to the front.
    eg.: 'CFLAGS=-Wshadow -O3 -ffast-math -Wall -I. -std=gnu99 -I/usr/local/include -fPIC -s -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-tree-vectorize'
    became: 'CFLAGS=-fPIC -Wshadow -O3 -ffast-math -Wall -I. -std=gnu99 -I/usr/local/include -s -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-tree-vectorize'.
    Code:
    make -j `grep -c ^processor /proc/cpuinfo`
    sudo checkinstall --pkgname=x264 --pkgversion "2:0.`grep X264_BUILD x264.h -m1 | \
        cut -d' ' -f3`.`git rev-list HEAD | wc -l`+git`git rev-list HEAD -n 1 | \
        head -c 7`" --backup=no --deldoc=yes --fstrans=no --default

Install FFmpeg
    4. Get the most current source files, compile, and install. Run "./configure --help" to see what other features you can enable/disable. Nightly FFmpeg snapshots are also available.
    Code:
    cd
    svn checkout svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/trunk ffmpeg
    cd ffmpeg
    ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc \
        --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb \
        --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis \
        --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab \
        --enable-shared --enable-pthreads
    make -j `grep -c ^processor /proc/cpuinfo`
    sudo checkinstall --pkgname=ffmpeg --pkgversion "4:SVN-r`LANG=C svn info | \
        grep Revision | awk '{ print $NF }'`" --backup=no --deldoc=yes --fstrans=no \
    hash x264 ffmpeg ffplay
    Thanks for FakeOutdoorsman for his great guide that I used as a foundation and for prupert's script that had the cool 'make `grep -c ^processor /proc/cpuinfo`' argument
    Last edited by Padakwaak; October 22nd, 2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Added missing -j argument for make command, added note for x86 users & fixed --enable-pthreads option

Beans

Not sure how many people will be interested in an upcoming guide I am in the early stages of writing which shows how to compile x264 and FFmpeg on Windows 7? I am inspired not a little by FakeOutdoorsman's efforts in this guide of course and the aim of the Windows 7 guide is identical to FakeOutdoorsman's guide: to enable encoding with faac, the latest x264 from git and the svn FFmpeg under the clunky console of Win 7, aided and abetted by MinGW and MSYS.

I have seen a ton of misinformation available online on how to accomplish this so hopefully I can make things a little clearer. First step is in place now:

Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\andrew>x264 --version
    x264 0.107.1745 4785e8e
    built on Nov  1 2010, gcc: 4.5.0
    configuration: --bit-depth=8
    x264 license: GPL version 2 or later

C:\Users\andrew>
    Next for FFmpeg itself .

Andrew

Beans

The few times I attempted to use FFmpeg on Windows I just used the Automated FFmpeg Builds, but I would guess a Windows 7 guide would be appreciated by Windows users. This is an area that I am totally ignorant in.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

I am sorry to post these stupid question. actually this thread is 136 page long and I could not search my answer. on very first page I found this link

http://code.google.com/p/x264-ffmpeg-up-to-date/ where there is a ready-made script to install the codecs. the script ran fine and it showed all is done message at the end.

I can see ffmpeg codec options under my Kdenlive rendering option under admin account.

My stupid questions are :

1). How can I make sure the the codecs are installed for sure?
    2). Kdenlive from one of the user account does not see those codecs, Are we suppose to install for each users?

Hope someone will answer the question.

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Not sure how many people will be interested in an upcoming guide I am in the early stages of writing which shows how to compile x264 and FFmpeg on Windows 7? I am inspired not a little by FakeOutdoorsman's efforts in this guide of course and the aim of the Windows 7 guide is identical to FakeOutdoorsman's guide: to enable encoding with faac, the latest x264 from git and the svn FFmpeg under the clunky console of Win 7, aided and abetted by MinGW and MSYS.

I have seen a ton of misinformation available online on how to accomplish this so hopefully I can make things a little clearer. First step is in place now:

Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\andrew>x264 --version
    x264 0.107.1745 4785e8e
    built on Nov  1 2010, gcc: 4.5.0
    configuration: --bit-depth=8
    x264 license: GPL version 2 or later

C:\Users\andrew>
    Next for FFmpeg itself .

Andrew
    The most arduous part of getting things set up on Windows (at least XP, but Vista and Win7 would be included in that as well) isn't the compile instructions part - the instructions really are virtually the same under MSys/MinGW as the main instructions this thread caters to, for both x264 and ffmpeg. Except for ffmpeg needing the --enable-memalign-hack option, anyway.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the U_STRICT_ANSI flag too. I always seem to forget that.

The difference is mainly in setting up the environment properly to do it, as it's not integrated into a repository system like Ubuntu (and while Cygwin has its repositories, I have no idea how anyone could call its repo manager 'easy to use'...but anything compiled with Cygwin needs extra DLLs residing in your PATH or the same folder as the program, unless you use Cygwin to cross-compile to MinGW). The arrozcru.org wiki used to have a guide to walk users through setting up the environment, and it was such a mess and so often outdated they actually now advocate using Ubuntu and going through the gcc-mingw32 package instead (which is what I've generally taken to doing, since the MSys prompt is so slow compared to Gnome Terminal). The other 'easy' option are the premade environments that are available through the CCCP wiki. Those seem to be pretty solid in regard to things working correctly*.

*although I believe you do have to snag the arrozcru.org autostatic pthreads to enable ffmpeg to use them.

The idea of it being under the native console sounds interesting. I presume you mean cmd.exe, not PowerShell, nor just using the cmd.exe window to run sh like recent MSys guides advocate...I prefer rxvt over the sh-in-cmd.exe thing.

One thing to also note, since it's a Windows guide - using the L-SMASH patch will allow x264 to use Quicktime's AAC engine to produce files with AAC audio (and I think it's a fairly safe bet that the percentage of Windows users with iTunes installed is pretty high). The only downside is that the user has to sign up for a free Apple Developer account and download the Quicktime SDK so that x264 can link to it at configure time. But it does work. I know it also allows for some other formats (like LAME for MP3), but I don't know the current working state of it beyond knowing the qtaac interface part is fine.
    Last edited by qyot27; November 2nd, 2010 at 04:44 PM.

Page 136 of 241 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146186236 ... LastLast