Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

My solution to the checkinstall of ffmpeg in Spanish was:

Code:
    cd
    git clone git://git.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/
    cd ffmpeg
    git clone git://git.ffmpeg.org/libswscale/
    ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid --enable-x11grab
    make
    sudo checkinstall --pkgname=ffmpeg --pkgversion="`date +%Y%m%d%H%M`-git" --backup=no --default
    hash x264 ffmpeg ffplay
    I prefer git to SVN ;D

p.d: and update:

Code:
    cd ~/ffmpeg
    make distclean
    git pull

Beans

How to Submit a FFmpeg Bug Report

If you're using FFmpeg SVN and you experience a crash or odd behavior, then you may be interested in submitting a bug report to the FFmpeg project. If you are using FFmpeg from the Ubuntu repository, please report bugs to Launchpad instead.

Read the bug report guidelines
    Reporting a Bug To The FFmpeg Project. You don't want to get flamed for not strictly following directions. The goal of this post is not to duplicate the guidelines, but to provide some more instruction that may be useful to Ubuntu users, to help make reporting a bug less intimidating, and to make your bug report more informative.

Ask first
    It is a good idea to ask the #ffmpeg IRC channel or ffmpeg-user mailing list if anyone else can duplicate your bug. Insight from others may reveal your issue as not a bug or they can help provide additional information.

Search for your bug
    Go to the FFmpeg Issue Tracker (yes, it's horrendously slow), and then perform a search before creating a new bug report. Someone else may have already reported your bug. You don't want to get flamed for making a duplicate bug report. There are many search options. I generally just use the All text* search box and leave everything else as is.

Report your bug
    If you find nothing, then register and then create your new bug report.

Creating a FFmpeg Bug Report

Title: Give a detailed and useful title. A title like segmentation fault when capturing screen with x11grab is better than ffmpeg crashes.
    Type: Choose bug.
    Priority: Choose important for crashes/segmentation faults and normal for everything else.
    Nosy List: Adding your user name to the Nosy List will e-mail you when someone replies to your bug or updates the bug priority.
    Change Note: This is where you provide a description of the bug, how to duplicate the bug, and where samples are located.
    You can generally ignore the rest of the options.

Change Note Continued...
    Always provide the most simple ffmpeg command. For example, if you experience a crash with:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f alsa -ac 2 -i pulse -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1024x768 -i :0.0 -acodec pcm_s16le \
    -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_ultrafast -threads 0 output.mkv
    ...you should also try a more basic command:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 30 -s 1024x768 -i :0.0 output.mpg
    If the simple command still crashes use it instead so the developers can rule out extra junk that may cause issues such as threads or external encoders.

Now submit your bug report. It will be assigned an issue ID number, such as issue1392, which will be important if you want to submit a sample file.

Providing a sample
    You should provide a sample if it is important to reproducing the bug or if a developer asks for one. This is explained in the Submitting Sample Media section of Reporting a Bug To The FFmpeg Project. All that I will add is when creating a new directory as the page instructs, name it the same as your issue number. This will make life easier for the server admins. Then navigate back to your bug report and make a comment indicating where your sample is. Something like: "Sample located at incoming/issue1392/descriptive_sample_name.foo".

gdb output and backtrace
    A developer will most likely ask you to provide the gdb output and a backtrace if you are reporting a crash bug. This is mostly described at Reporting a Bug To The FFmpeg Project. Some additional info:

Install gdb if you don't have it:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gdb
    ffmpeg_g is located in your ~/ffmpeg directory if you followed HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264.

If you need additional help, the best places to ask questions are the #ffmpeg IRC channel, the ffmpeg-user mailing list, or you can reply to this post.

Beans

Re: How to Submit a FFmpeg Bug Report

I don't own an iPod, yet I have an iPod example on this guide: iPod 640x480 using the slow and ipod640 presets. I'm not sure if it actually works. Is anyone willing to test it (and mention the i[Pod|Pad|Phone] version)?

Also, the commands are in one long string. Originally I thought it would be easier for new users to show that each command is on it's own line. What do most people prefer? The long, unbroken commands, or something that you can see all at once, but is not un-broken like this:
    Code:
    cd
    svn checkout svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/trunk ffmpeg
    cd ffmpeg
    ./configure --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc \
         --enable-pthreads --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame \
         --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora \
         --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid \
         --enable-x11grab
    make
    sudo checkinstall --pkgname=ffmpeg --pkgversion "4:SVN-r`svn info | grep Revision | \
         awk '{ print $NF }'`" --backup=no --default
    hash x264 ffmpeg ffplay
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; August 5th, 2010 at 06:52 PM.

Beans

Re: How to Submit a FFmpeg Bug Report

Hi FakeOutdoorsman,

Quote Originally Posted by FakeOutdoorsman View Post
    Also, the commands are in one long string. Originally I thought it would be easier for new users to show that each command is on it's own line. What do most people prefer? The long, unbroken commands, or something that you can see all at once, but is not un-broken...
    I prefer a command I can see on one screen, divided by the '\' character as you have demonstrated. The downfall of course is that less experienced users will be unsure which is a single command and there will inevitably be some copy and paste errors...

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

For quick reference, I also prefer the \ notation, but for copy-paste stuff (that isn't going into a script, anyway) it would make it harder for new users that aren't aware of what \ does. IMO, the way to remedy that is simply to add a cautionary note about the usage of \, and to ensure one has copied all lines before trying to execute it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
    For quick reference, I also prefer the \ notation, but for copy-paste stuff (that isn't going into a script, anyway) it would make it harder for new users that aren't aware of what \ does. IMO, the way to remedy that is simply to add a cautionary note about the usage of \, and to ensure one has copied all lines before trying to execute it.
    If you just copy-paste the lines with the \ one at a time (or even all at once), it will work just as well. I fail to see how a note would be useful.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have a problem compiling with libvpx. Here's the error:

Code:
    CC	libavcodec/libvpxdec.o
    libavcodec/libvpxdec.c: In function ‘vp8_decode’:
    libavcodec/libvpxdec.c:89: error: implicit declaration of function ‘av_check_image_size’
    make: *** [libavcodec/libvpxdec.o] Error 1
    For now I compiled ffmpeg without libvpx, but I would like to have that capability.
    Could it be that the latest version in the repository simply has an error?

Beans

r24717 compiled and installed ok for me on Lucid 64-bit. Looks like it was already fixed:
    Code:
    $ svn log -l 24 svn://svn.mplayerhq.hu/ffmpeg/trunk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    r24717 | alexc | 2010-08-06 10:57:14 -0800 (Fri, 06 Aug 2010) | 4 lines

libvpxdec: Fix "error: implicit declaration of function ‘av_check_image_size’".

av_check_image_size() is declared in libavcore/imgutils.h.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Everything was working famously until I got to step 6 in your guide. After make, I got this error:
    libavformat/metadata.c:76: warning: assignment discards qualifiers from pointer target type
    CC libavformat/metadata_compat.o
    CC libavformat/mm.o
    CC libavformat/mmf.o
    make: *** No rule to make target `libavformat/mms.o', needed by `libavformat/libavformat.a'. Stop.
    I'd really like to use some of the encoders not supplied in the .deb. What the heck is the problem?
    01001001010011010d3str0y.th3.m4chin300010001001011 00

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by theluddite View Post
    Everything was working famously until I got to step 6 in your guide. After make, I got this error:

I'd really like to use some of the encoders not supplied in the .deb. What the heck is the problem?
    Confirmed. The developers just noticed and it will probably will be fixed in less than a few hours. If you don't want to wait:
    Code:
    cd ~/ffmpeg
    make distclean
    svn up -r 24778 svn://svn.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg/trunk .
    ...and then continue with the ./configure line in step 6.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; August 12th, 2010 at 01:42 AM. Reason: fix svn example

Page 119 of 241 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast