Page 105 of 241 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 2402

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

EDIT:wrong post.
    Freedom is neither exclusive nor unlimited.

Beans

Preliminary libvpx Installation Instructions

I quickly came up with a libvpx guide, tested on Lucid 64-bit, but I didn't get to mess with it as much as I wanted before other, less interesting things got in the way.

1. Install x264. Not required, but I added this to keep up with the first page of this guide.

2. Install libvpx from git.
    Code:
    cd
    git clone git://review.webmproject.org/libvpx.git
    cd libvpx
    ./configure
    make
    sudo checkinstall --pkgname=libvpx --pkgversion="`date +%Y%m%d%k%M`-git" --backup=no --nodoc --default
    3. Install FFmpeg. Make sure to add:
    Code:
    --enable-libvpx
    The --enable-nonfree may not be required once the license gets cleared up. libvpx is now under a (L)GPL-compatible license.

4. Encode to .webm:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i input.foo -threads 4 output.webm
    Replace -threads 4 with a value appropriate for your CPU or omit --threads.

Update: These instructions have been moved to the first page of the guide and will be kept up to date there.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; June 11th, 2010 at 09:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Nice instructions. libvpx supports 2-pass encoding which results in much better quality than 1-pass. Until now -b -pass and -threads are the only optinos I use with libvpx. I wonder if there are any other. Also, if you could look into the framedrop issue and how to disable it, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.
    Last edited by verb3k; June 5th, 2010 at 03:59 AM.
    Freedom is neither exclusive nor unlimited.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've never used checkinstall before, I generally compile and package debianized source with dpkg-buildpackage, and debianize if needed with dh_make. Sometime dh_make is flakey.

Going purely by your instructions, checkinstall fails after a good make.

Code:
    locke@locke-desktop:~/Build/libvpx$ sudo checkinstall --pkgname libvpx --pkgversion `date +%Y%m%d%k%M`-git --backup=no --nodoc --default

checkinstall 1.6.1, Copyright 2002 Felipe Eduardo Sanchez Diaz Duran
               This software is released under the GNU GPL.

The package documentation directory ./doc-pak does not exist. 
    Should I create a default set of package docs?  [y]: n

**** Debian package creation selected ***

This package will be built according to these values: 

0 -  Maintainer: [ root@locke-desktop ]
    1 -  Summary: [ library for VP8 ]
    2 -  Name:    [ libvpx ]
    3 -  Version: [ 20100605 ]
    4 -  Release: [ 1 ]
    5 -  License: [ GPL ]
    6 -  Group:   [ checkinstall ]
    7 -  Architecture: [ amd64 ]
    8 -  Source location: [ libvpx ]
    9 -  Alternate source location: [  ]
    10 - Requires: [  ]
    11 - Provides: [ libvpx ]

Enter a number to change any of them or press ENTER to continue: 

Installing with 057-git...Installing with --backup=no...Installing with --nodoc...Installing with --default...

========================= Installation results ===========================
    /var/tmp/tmp.w1jKmKcH6i/installscript.sh: 4: 057-git: not found

****  Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

Cleaning up...OK

Bye.
    Ideas?
    Locke
    Try Dropbox, it's FREE! (gratis) http://db.tt/J7Sm9iC
    Try Dropbox experimental build updater http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=12153

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Locke_99GS View Post
    I've never used checkinstall before, I generally compile and package debianized source with dpkg-buildpackage, and debianize if needed with dh_make. Sometime dh_make is flakey.
    I haven't used dpkg-buildpackage or dh_make before. I'll take a look at those. One of these days I should attempt to learn how to properly wrangle Debian type package management, but it's fairly low on the todo list.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke_99GS View Post
    Going purely by your instructions, checkinstall fails after a good make.

Code:
    Installing with 057-git...Installing with --backup=no...Installing with --nodoc...Installing with --default...

========================= Installation results ===========================
    /var/tmp/tmp.w1jKmKcH6i/installscript.sh: 4: 057-git: not found
    Ideas?
    Looks like it may not have liked the --pkgversion. Try changing it to a simple number. What version of Ubuntu are you using? I should have mentioned that I tested it only on Lucid 64-bit.

Update: I realized I forgot to put quotes around the pkgversion, although I'm fairly sure it worked for me before. I'm away from my Ubuntu machine, so I can't test now. I updated the checkinstall command in my libvpx post.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; June 5th, 2010 at 06:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Heh, I just figured it out. To tell you the truth, after cutting and pasting your instructions and seeing the no-go, I just moved on to other things.

In post 1042, your checkinstall arguments include --pkgname libvpx, when in fact it should be --pkgname=libvpx. A simple typographical error, it looks like. After adding the equals sign where appropriate, checkinstall appears to have done its thing.

Time to recompile ffmpeg

edit: Not that it matters now, but I am also using Lucid 64bit.
    Locke
    Try Dropbox, it's FREE! (gratis) http://db.tt/J7Sm9iC
    Try Dropbox experimental build updater http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=12153

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Looks like the FFmpeg developers are really getting close to the cutting edge of x264 now:
    Code:
    enabled libx264    && require  libx264 x264.h x264_encoder_encode -lx264 -lm &&
                          { check_cpp_condition x264.h "X264_BUILD >= 98" ||
                            die "ERROR: libx264 version must be >= 0.98."; }
    Andrew
    This is where I too grind to a halt. I've read the rest of the post to date (Midnight, GMT -8) but I don't see a fix to enabling support for x264.

(I press because support for x264 is one of the main things I'm doing this for.)

Code:
    ERROR: libx264 version must be >= 0.98.
    Help Mr. Wizard!

TBerk
    ================

OK, I went back and deleted the ffmpeg and x264 directories (and the contents there of) and tried again. As I type this update it seems to be working, re: running "make".

OK, it's 12:40 in the morning and I seem to have a good install. Key point was to remove the directories I had left from the 1st time I did this install prior to the 'new' install.
    <end>
    Last edited by TBerk; June 5th, 2010 at 08:42 AM.

As far as libvpx -
    one thing to keep in mind is it is/will start showing up on ubuntu installs depending on which and or if certain ppa's are enabled

It's included in 10.10, and provided in karmic and or lucid by the gstreamer-devs ppa ( updated regularly ), and the chromium-daily ppa ( not a quick as the gst-dev's

So it may be worth seeing if any of the above libvpx and libvpx-dev do the job, or keep in mind if building.

https://launchpad.net/~gstreamer-dev.../ppa/+packages

Beans

Hi Fakeoutdoorsman,

I will admit that I am still between Ubuntu installations but certainly on my other distro I added in the compiler flags on the ./configure string as follows for 32bit:

Code:
    ./configure --target=x86-linux-gcc
    and I presume the following would work with 64bit:

Code:
    ./configure --target=x86_64-linux-gcc
    but I confess I will not be testing to see if this is required under Ubuntu as I have no short-term plans to reinstall .

Another short note: I have not investigated extensively to see the exact reason but I suspect if you run make with sudo the html docs will be built.

All the best,

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.46; June 6th, 2010 at 07:17 AM.
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi Fakeoutdoorsman,

I will admit that I am still between Ubuntu installations but certainly on my other distro I added in the compiler flags on the ./configure string as follows for 32bit:

Code:
    ./configure --target=x86-linux-gcc
    and I presume the following would work with 64bit:

Code:
    ./configure --target=x86_64-linux-gcc
    but I confess I will not be testing to see if this is required under Ubuntu as I have no short-term plans to reinstall .
    Hi Andrew,

I also did this when I first tested libvpx a week or two ago, but this time I tried it and I think it automatically detected the proper target on Lucid x86_64. I had to rush through this and maybe it actually didn't. I'll have to test this later tonight.

Another short note: I have not investigated extensively to see the exact reason but I suspect if you run make with sudo the html docs will be built.

All the best,

Andrew
    I added --disable-install-docs because the readme mentioned PHP and doxygen (or something like that) as doc dependencies (or something like that). Wow, I can't remember anything if it isn't directly in front of me. I'll try it without this next time and see what happens.

Looks like libvpx now has a (L)GPL-compatible license which probably makes --enable-nonfree unnecessary for libvpx.

Page 105 of 241 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast