Page 10 of 241 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install and use the latest FFmpeg and x264

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Compile the latest ffmpeg and x264 from source

Quote Originally Posted by eoalvarez View Post
    Stuck on trying to code an mpg to mpg4 using the ffmpeg and x264, this is what I am getting
    Did you follow this tutorial to install ffmpeg? Your version of ffmpeg has only been configured with "--enable-nonfree". You will have to remove ffmpeg, make distclean, reconfigure, and then reinstall. Refer to "Updating Your Installation" from the first post of this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Man my head hurts...when is this going to "just work".. I went to a mates place who had windows. I installed winFF and he was transcoding things b4 I drunk my thankyou beer.. and yet here on my hardy heron, the home of linux box, I still cant do that because of the building and making and what ifs and stuff that have to be done and which I dont understand... Why is this not part of the standard ubuntu build? Is it in the works to be done? or is there some techno reason.

Beans

Sometimes familirity of Windows can be viewed instead as being better or easier. Your friend was most likely using an older, precompiled, third-party version of ffmpeg that can come with the Windows version of WinFF.

The goal of this tutorial is creating a fully customized, bleeding-edge ffmpeg and x264 installation. As with all bleeding-edge applications, things may not always go smoothly without some extra work and would be at least as work intensive to do the same in Windows. The Ubuntu License Policy keeps Ubuntu from releasing software that might be restricted by copyrights and patents, so proprietary formats, such as mp3, will not always work without the user enabling it themselves (see Restricted Formats).

Getting WinFF and ffmpeg installed in Ubuntu is as easy as downloading the WinFF deb and using Synaptic, aptitude, or apt-get to install ffmpeg. Ubuntu's version of ffmpeg doesn't support restricted formats, so if you want to use those you need to either use a precompiled third-party version, such as the one from Medibuntu, or compile ffmpeg yourself.
    Last edited by FakeOutdoorsman; September 4th, 2008 at 06:34 PM.

Beans

I think one of the nice things about Debian based distros is that it's fairly easy to get dependancies installed even when you are compiling a more bleeding edge version of something, like ffmpeg or mplayer/mencoder for example.

"sudo apt-get build-dep ffmpeg"

That should take care of the dependancies for core ffmpeg. When you do the ./configure xxxxx on it you will see which libraries you have and which you don't. For reference, I use the following config line.

./configure --enable-gpl --enable-postproc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libtheora --disable-debug --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaac --enable-pthreads --enable-libx264 --enable-liba52 --enable-libdc1394 --enable-libgsm --enable-libxvid

You have to have installed the dev packages for these libs of course.

The Winblows version of WinFF is using a pre-compiled ffmpeg. A very old version as far as I know. SVN 9xxx I think.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've created some hardy debs af x264, yasm and ffmpeg based on this thread, you can get them here: https://launchpad.net/~roderik/+archive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've followed this tutorial up to the point of making ffmpeg, but I then proceed to get this error:

gcc -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -I. -I"/home/aburk/ffmpeg" -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -fasm -std=c99 -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -O3 -fno-math-errno -c -o libavcodec/libx264.o libavcodec/libx264.c
    libavcodec/libx264.c: In function ‘X264_init’:
    libavcodec/libx264.c:165: error: ‘x264_param_t’ has no member named ‘b_bframe_adaptive’
    make: *** [libavcodec/libx264.o] Error 1

The checkinstall installation results displays the same error message. I searched around but haven't come to any conclusions regarding what might be wrong and I have no idea where to start looking with this...I tried to remove and reinstall the x264 package but that didn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas?

Beans

4. Get the most current source files from the official x264 git repository, compile, and install. You can run "./configure --help" to see what features you can enable/disable. If you are behind a firewall or unable to use git, then daily source tarballs are also available.
    Code:

cd ~/
    git clone git://git.videolan.org/x264.git
    cd x264
    ./configure --enable-pthread --enable-mp4-output --enable-shared
    make
    sudo checkinstall
    please help me i am stuck!!

david@david-desktop:~$ git clone git://git.videolan.org/x264.git
    Initialized empty Git repository in /home/david/x264/.git/
    git.videolan.org[0: 91.121.111.144]: errno=Connection refused
    fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection refused)
    fetch-pack from 'git://git.videolan.org/x264.git' failed.
    Last edited by davidw89; September 15th, 2008 at 04:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by davidw89 View Post

Server possibly down. They made a release today and get hammered.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by comradburk View Post
    I've followed this tutorial up to the point of making ffmpeg, but I then proceed to get this error:

gcc -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -I. -I"/home/aburk/ffmpeg" -D_ISOC99_SOURCE -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112 -fasm -std=c99 -fomit-frame-pointer -pthread -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wall -Wno-switch -Wdisabled-optimization -Wpointer-arith -Wredundant-decls -Wno-pointer-sign -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings -O3 -fno-math-errno -c -o libavcodec/libx264.o libavcodec/libx264.c
    libavcodec/libx264.c: In function ‘X264_init’:
    libavcodec/libx264.c:165: error: ‘x264_param_t’ has no member named ‘b_bframe_adaptive’
    make: *** [libavcodec/libx264.o] Error 1

The checkinstall installation results displays the same error message. I searched around but haven't come to any conclusions regarding what might be wrong and I have no idea where to start looking with this...I tried to remove and reinstall the x264 package but that didn't seem to make a difference. Any ideas?
    You're not doing anything wrong. Since this is the bleeding-edge of ffmpeg and x264 there will be issues like this once in a while. The developers made a change which causes this error. I'm guessing there should be a fix within a day or two. You would just have to follow the "Updating Your Installation" section of this howto.

More info: [FFmpeg-devel] [PATCH] libx264: support for BUILD >= 63

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidw89 View Post

I was able to connect and download the source with git with no problems. Perhaps there was a temporary network problem on their end or maybe your firewall is causing problems. You can always try to download a daily x264 source tarball instead if git isn't working.

Page 10 of 241 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast