Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Automount NTFS Drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

HowTo: Automount NTFS Drives

Ok, I decided to write this - because over the last week or 2 I've been seeing a lot of threads asking how to AutoMount drives in Ubuntu. Most of the time these also happen to be NTFS drives

I know what it's like - I still dual boot too So anyway - here's how to do it the nice easy way

NB: Please note that there are some images attached just for you

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fire up a terminal, to do this click Applications > Accessories > Terminal
    Then type (or copy/paste) the following - 1 line at a time
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude install ntfs-config
    Ubuntu 10.10 doesn't come with aptitude installed, so simply run these 2 commands in place of those above.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
    Ok so when that returns you to user@pcname, that should be it installed

Next, make sure you have NO drives mounted (they'll usually appear on your desktop). And then run the program from Applications > System Tools

Note: In Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) and later it appears that the configuration tool has moved to System > Administration.

Enter your password when prompted - and then choose the drives that you want to be automounted. Click Apply.

Now simply make sure that "Enable Write Support for Internal Drives" and click OK.

Enjoy your automounted NTFS Drives

Note: If you want to undo this for whatever reason, StolenPie posted a walkthrough later in the thread So kudos for that!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	install.jpg 
Views:	3858 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	69098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ntfsconfig.jpg 
Views:	4705 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	69100   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	options.jpg 
Views:	3933 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	69101  
    Last edited by Joeb454; December 29th, 2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: reflected removal of aptitude

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: HowTo: Automount NTFS Drives

how about a FAT32 usb stick?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure about that, though I do know that it allows you to do this for External Drives.

Also why would you want to auto-mount a USB Drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

well the problem is i can't mount it at all. that's why i started this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=784970

in fact, i still can't mount external hard drives or my usb key even using ntfs-conf. I can only mount partitions from my internal hard drive on my laptop.
    Last edited by lecter255; May 10th, 2008 at 04:34 AM.

Beans

I've never had to do anything special to mount my NTFS partition. I just have a line in my fstab:
    Code:
    /dev/sda4       /windows        ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46,noatime   0       0
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Xiong Chiamiov View Post
    I've never had to do anything special to mount my NTFS partition. I just have a line in my fstab:
    Code:
    /dev/sda4       /windows        ntfs    defaults,umask=007,gid=46,noatime   0       0
    but can you mount external drives though? i can mount NTFS partitions in my internal hard drive too, no problem, but I can't use my usb key or external hard drive.

Beans

I don't have any external drives in my apartment right now, but shouldn't it be essentially the same? Or do they not show up in /dev?
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

they show up in /dev but when i try to mount it it always gives an error saying wrong mount point or bad mount point or something.

Beans

Thank you for this post but I am still having problems. With NTFS Config, it goes straight to the third thumbnail, I never see the second. (Using 7.10) Also, I can only select the external option (it's checked), but that should be what I need right? I'm trying to mount an external drive...

I had it removed properly from XP, and it shows up fine there. It doesn't appear to mount in Ubuntu but when I use the Sys Info tool it does show up. And in GPartition, it says it's unallocated?

It's a 250 GB Seagate drive, but it is almost full.. That wouldn't be a problem would it? I asked in the hardware forums last week but received no replies, can anyone help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmm, I've not got an external NTFS drive I can try this with, though I know it shouldn't be mounted before running NTFS config is run (could be an issue/bug with external drives).

If the drives NTFS Config finds that can be mounted are already mounted - it will skip the first screen

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast