Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Automount NTFS Drives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: HowTo: Automount NTFS Drives

Quote Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2 View Post
    Thanks Joeb454, I was looking for something to let me know if I had edited my fstab correctly before making it permanent until I found this thread. By the way NTFS-config is standard in ultimate edition 2.0.
    Really? I've never used Ultimate Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2 View Post
    And just to make it clear for others. The drive must be unmounted and if you created a folder in /media for it already you need to remove that folder first before using ntfs-config as it will try to create the folder.
    Thanks for confirming, I wasn't sure whether it was just something I'd done on my system

Beans

thx man. verry easy way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I didn't want to start another thread asking how to automount a fat32 internal drive so I thought it was best to reply to this one.

I have read the entire thread and I did the ntfs-config install and indeed, my ntfs partition is recognized, but my fat32 parition is not :S

I did have my HDD split up in my Win Vista install, then another partition (the fat32 partition) to make it easier for Linux distros to manipulate it and last but definitely not least my Ubuntu partition. So all my files (docs, music, vids...) are in my fat32 partition but I just can't automount it on startup which definitely sucks because some applications (including my player, Exaile) use that drive :S

I hope someone can help me out on this, I had it fixed in my last Ubuntu install, but I can't remember where I found the info, nor how to do it all :S

Oh, and while I'm at it... which one do you guys (and hopefully girls... xD) think is better: NTFS or fat32? I need it to be compatible with Windows since I still have it... mostly for gaming purposes and easier videocalls xD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Now, I don't think there's any harm in using NTFS instead of FAT32, as ntfs-3g is pretty solid from what I've used of it.

Naturally, that would mean re-formatting your existing FAT32 partition, so here's a link I found with a quick search

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=905929

That thread contains a link which should help you a bit further

Beans

I have 2 hard drives in my laptop. One (8-9 gigs) is for Ubuntu. The other (35-40 gigs) is for my pictures/music and personal files. It doesn't automount my second one. The second one doesn't have any operating system or anything on it at all, really. When I install NTFS Config it only discovers my first one (the one with Ubuntu). This is annoying because when I open up the music player it doesn't "find" my music on the second hard drive because its not even mounted. How can I automount this second hard drive when Ubuntu starts up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Is the 2nd hard drive NTFS formatted?

Beans

Filesystem type: ext3

I guess not. How can I format it to NTFS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just wanted to drop this piece of info:
    Disk Manager (disk-manager)
    Can do what ntfs-config does and then some. It might do a fat32 auto-mount. So if anyone wants to give that a shot.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install disk-manager
    I think its in the Universe Repos.
    It also lets you permanently do a -force on your drives every time they attempt to mount. Sometimes windows dosnt completely let got of your NTFS partitions, so this option was created to overcome this, BUT CORRUPTION CAN OCCUR (use at your own risk).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

hey, thanx for that program! it did work with vfat, just had to edit a little bit, but it works fine (at least this last boot it did, will report if it starts acting up)

umm, about the other problem, dwieeb, NTFS-config won't detect that partition because it is not NTFS formatted. ext3 (as far as I know :S) is native to linux so it should have no problem finding it.

Can u mount it manually?

Beans

Yes it mounts manually without problems.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast