Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hardy+nvidia - not working through reboot

Beans

Re: Hardy+nvidia - not working through reboot

Quote Originally Posted by briandu View Post
    OK, I'm back up and running again. Although the how-to on the above link really should come with the warning:

******NOTE: With this method, your system will break again every time there is a kernel update and you will have to reinstall the driver again******

Considering that the NVidia driver worked perfectly for me 100% of the time in Gutsy, this seems like a shocking regression on the part of Hardy 8.04. To be having to mess around reinstalling drivers and packages at the command line, not to mention that every time I do this it screws up my Compiz-Fusion and Screenlets, is a real hassle. And I find it hard to believe that this is due to "a bug with the NVidia driver" as stated elsewhere on the forums when exactly the same drivers work perfectly in Gutsy. Its.... just shocking, really.
    Last edited by itsjustarumour; May 16th, 2008 at 10:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Dear X-

I have not tried all the new drivers. Does anyone have this consistenly working with the older chipsets and newer drivers?

Thanks alot,
    X

Beans

Well, I think they're working on my Xubuntu fileserver, which has an FX 5200 in it... I don't remember having to do anything odd besides running some special options with nvidia-xconfig (I think that's the name?), but it's outputting solely through s-video to a tv, rather than a monitor. I'll check later and see what driver it's running and get back to you.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans

Ok, my Xubuntu machine has just the plain old nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel-common packages installed (and in use), and it's working just fine (oddly enough, I couldn't get it to run on anything but vesa on Gutsy). Here's its xorg.conf.
    I do not use Ubuntu any more, nor have I ever used Gnome. Therefore, I tend to give advice that is distro- and DE-agnostic, which, while perhaps not the easiest way, will allow you to move freely between machines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Dear X-

No go. I am using a Ti4200 GeForce 4 card by ASUS that is just fine for what I need it for. Any ideas on why the system wants me to reboot once I successfully install it only to go back to crashing?

Thanks,
    X

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xizorbg View Post
    Dear X-

No go. I am using a Ti4200 GeForce 4 card by ASUS that is just fine for what I need it for. Any ideas on why the system wants me to reboot once I successfully install it only to go back to crashing?

Thanks,
    X
    Wait, the system tells you to reboot after installing the drivers? That's odd. For me, everything installed just fine and I was able to run startx and get into my desktop just fine - it was just when rebooting that X would fail to start. What exactly is happening with you? It could be related to something else, though there are too many weird things hapenning to know for sure what the cause of something is. Did you have this working on an earlier version of *buntu?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123