Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you get that cool rotating cube thing?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How do you get that cool rotating cube thing?

I have Advanced Desktop setting installed.

I went in there and check off the rotating cube box and the water effects and nothin. Nada.

Im very disappointed

Beans

Re: How do you get that cool rotating cube thing?

you sure you have compiz installed and running (which should be on by default). Also you sure you used the right commands? Stupid little things like that got me stuck when I tried to do it the first time.

Beans

if you go to System-Preferences-Appearance then click the visual effects tab does it let you choose extra?

Beans

Sometimes compiz won't even start unless you have appropriate drivers installed. This would be my first guess, since it didn't work for me with the open-source nvidia drivers, but did with the restricted drivers.
    Last edited by jman0591; May 7th, 2008 at 03:27 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

to see why it isnt working go to a terminal and type compiz --replace . Compiz is the program that renders the effects you checked there (im assuming you installed the compizconfig-settings-manager). If compiz --replace fails could you post the results of that command? You might need to edit the /usr/bin/compiz file and add the line SKIP_CHECKS=YES to it near the beginning. Also the output of glxinfo|direct and what kind of video card can help us help you. if you just installed ubuntu checking the system--> administration --> hardware drivers for any restricted drivers that need installed might help too.
    Last edited by dark_harmonics; May 7th, 2008 at 03:23 AM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dark_harmonics View Post
    to see why it isnt working go to a terminal and type compiz --replace . Compiz is the program that renders the effects you checked there (im assuming you installed the compizconfig-settings-manager). If compiz --replace fails could you post the results of that command? You might need to edit the /usr/bin/compiz file and add the line SKIP_CHECKS=YES to it near the beginning. Also the output of glxinfo|direct and what kind of video card can help us help you. if you just installed ubuntu checking the system--> administration --> hardware drivers for any restricted drivers that need installed might help too.
    kong@kong-desktop:~$ compiz --replace
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Detected PCI ID for VGA: 00:02.0 0300: 8086:2572 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
    Checking for non power of two support: present.
    Checking for Composite extension: present.
    Comparing resolution (1280x1024) to maximum 3D texture size (2048): Passed.
    Checking for nVidia: not present.
    Checking for FBConfig: present.
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    GConf backend: There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ok can you try that fix?

put the line SKIP_CHECKS=yes in the beginning part of the /usr/bin/compiz file and see if that gets it working for you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtime_Scrub View Post
    I went in there and check off the rotating cube box and the water effects and nothin.
    For the rotating cube, make sure you have both "Desktop Cube" and "Rotate Cube" selected. (For additional coolness, enable "Cube Reflection" and "3D Windows"). You'll also need to make sure that you have your Workspace Switcher set for 4 columns and 1 row to get a cube. Now you should be able to rotate the cube by pressing ctrl+alt+left_mouse_button simultaneously.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

After doing a search on your error "There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly." i saw a few different causes. Some people needed the right drivers to fix it. Other fixes were a bit more complicated. Do you know what kind of video card you are using?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dark_harmonics View Post
    After doing a search on your error "There is an unsupported value at path /apps/compiz/plugins/scale/allscreens/options/initiate_edge. Settings from this path won't be read. Try to remove that value so that operation can continue properly." i saw a few different causes. Some people needed the right drivers to fix it. Other fixes were a bit more complicated. Do you know what kind of video card you are using?
    NO I got this computer from a friend and I put Ubuntu on it because it was running on Windows 2000 Professional. It might be a Raedon 9500 but Im not really sure.

On the Plus side Ctrl-Alt-Left button mouse spins and rotates the 2-d screens kinda nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast