Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu newbie needs some help

Beans

Ubuntu newbie needs some help

Hi all. Totally new to ubuntu/linux. Actually just installed yesterday, so far I love it. To hell with windows..

My problem is when I try to play a .m4a file in exaile it tells me I don't have the right gstreamer plugin installed. I googled gstreamer and there's about a thousand different plugins. Very confusing. I just need a little help getting and installing that plugin I guess. Any help?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ubuntu newbie needs some help

Which media player are you using?
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    EPIC FAIL
    Quote Originally Posted by daengbo View Post
    Are you using Ubuntu?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokerface1969 View Post
    No I'm not.. Should I be? What is Ubuntu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Knubs View Post
    Hi all. Totally new to ubuntu/linux. Actually just installed yesterday, so far I love it. To hell with windows..

My problem is when I try to play a .m4a file in exaile it tells me I don't have the right gstreamer plugin installed. I googled gstreamer and there's about a thousand different plugins. Very confusing. I just need a little help getting and installing that plugin I guess. Any help?
    Do you have restricted extras installed? There's more plugins and codecs than you can shake a stick at included there, that'd be a good place to start.

Restricted extras can be installed with the Synaptic package manager under System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager. If you search for restricted extras you should find a couple, install the one that matches the desktop you're using or use the most.

EDIT:

It might not be available in the base set of packages for legal reasons. Quoting from the amarok-xine package description from Medibuntu:
    This package is built with Itunes AAC-LC (.m4a) support enabled.
    Therefore, it is in Medibuntu as it might violate patents.
    I'd bet the gstreamer plugin is also there, I'm going to go dig around a bit more for it.
    Last edited by PeterJS; May 7th, 2008 at 12:56 AM.
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    Feel free to PM or IM me if you have any other questions, I'm here to help
    Where are all your files hiding? Look Here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

OK if it is Gstreamer based try to open the file in movie player. It will search for find and install the correct plugin for you. Then you should be able to open it in any media player that is Gstreamer based.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Do you have restricted extras installed? There's more plugins and codecs than you can shake a stick at included there, that'd be a good place to start.
    I would only suggest against installing restricted extras because there may be things in there that you don't want or are questionable legally in your country of Origin.

Beans

Try perhaps to hit all the birds with one stone:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Also try Vlc player:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install vlc

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    Try perhaps to hit all the birds with one stone:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Also try Vlc player:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install vlc
    Already ran both commands and I have tried VLC, but with VLC I get some weird crackling/stuttering with playback, which is why I went with exaile.

Someone just told me to grab xmms2 stuff, I did through synaptic and now it's working. However some of the .m4a files cause the player to close, others will play fine.

But thanks for the help.

Beans

Interesting, looks like it might be libfaad0:
    freeware Advanced Audio Decoder - runtime files FAAD2 is the fastest ISO AAC audio decoder available. FAAD2 correctly decodes all MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 MAIN, LOW, LTP, LD and ER object type AAC files.
    Which can be installed by itself, or as part of the "gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad" collection.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Knubs View Post
    Already ran both commands and I have tried VLC, but with VLC I get some weird crackling/stuttering with playback, which is why I went with exaile.
    The poor quality is probably what landed it in the "bad" collection of codecs in the first place.
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam

Beans

I'm using Hardy Heron 8.04 and I *think* that the "bad" package comes with it. I looked in synaptic and it's already installed. Which is strange because they wouldn't play??

Anyway. rather than start a new thread I have another problem (of the many to come I'm sure...)

I've downloaded a theme package for the gui and I can't figure out how to install.

The package is in a .tar and I extracted. then I have a folder with contents and a readme.

I could post the readme but it's kind of big, is that thing shunned here?

Beans

Link to where you got it from and I'll download it and take a look that the read me. Odds are the installation is as easy as copying the unpacked theme to $HOME/.themes.
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast