Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hooking laptop to tv problems

Beans

hooking laptop to tv problems [Solved]

Hello all,
    I am new here and a total newbie to Ubunu. I installed the newest version to my laptop after have problems for the last 4 years with vista. So far I am totally happy with it. I have gotten everything to work perfectly
    except for hooking the laptop to my HDTV. Laptop is a dell inspiron E1505. Tv is a new LG,
    I got a vga to hdmi cable hooked it up along with an audio cable. When I got to screen settings it does not show or recognize any other screen and my tv just says no signal. I have searched ad tried a few different thing but nothing works.
    Is there a trick to this?
    My video card is an intel.
    my tv does have a VGA port do I need to hook up that way instead of the VGA to HDMI?

This is really stressing me out LOL

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by bigern26; May 13th, 2012 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Solved

Beans

Re: hooking laptop to tv problems

Mine worked right out of the box. Have you checked your bios settings to confirm you have the out put to a second monitor or so on turned on?

Also, Welcome to Ubuntu bigern26.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can switch between the laptop display and the TV using Fn-F8 on most Dell laptops. I'd try using the VGA ports first if you have a VGA cable available and see how that works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Mine worked right out of the box. Have you checked your bios settings to confirm you have the out put to a second monitor or so on turned on?

Also, Welcome to Ubuntu bigern26.
    Not sure how to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You can switch between the laptop display and the TV using Fn-F8 on most Dell laptops. I'd try using the VGA ports first if you have a VGA cable available and see how that works.
    I did hit Fn-F8 but it did nothing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi bigern26. Welcome to the forums.

Have you tried setting the TV using the application 'Monitors'? If not, look for it on the dashboard (the application search bar).

Regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi bigern26. Welcome to the forums.

Have you tried setting the TV using the application 'Monitors'? If not, look for it on the dashboard (the application search bar).

Regards.
    Tv has no choice, just port choices, The only thing I can find on the computer is System Settings>Displays, and it cannot recognize anything other than the laptop screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Check this post

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1969572

Check your graphics cards, i think there are two graphics. In BIOS, force to use ATI graphics card.

Beans

i dont think i have 2 video cards, i cannot find monitor settings in bios

Beans

I have an old E1505 that I could probably revive temporarily and plug it into my TV and see how it works for you. I have a Ubuntu 12.04 live USB stick I could boot on it. Mine also has the integrated Intel video and not a separate video card. I don't recall any special video options in the BIOS. Dell BIOSes are usually pretty minimal.

There is a Fn key on the keyboard to toggle display modes though as I recall - between the external and internal displays. I'll have to play with it later and report back to you.

Beans

That would be awesome. This thing is really stressing me out.
    The Fn key and F8 is doing nothing for me at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast