Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Screen Brightness

Beans

Re: Screen Brightness

The DD0 directories weren't of any help, but I explored the /proc/acpi directory structure and quickly found an acer-specific section.
    Code:
    zorael@sunspire:~$ ls -l /proc/acpi/acer
    total 0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2008-05-09 14:21 bluetooth
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2008-05-09 14:21 brightness
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2008-05-09 14:21 interface
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2008-05-09 14:21 threeg
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2008-05-09 14:21 version
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2008-05-09 14:21 wireless
    The brightness has an interval between 0 and 15, and as expected, I can toggle bluetooth and wireless here, as well.
    Code:
    root@sunspire:/proc/acpi/acer# echo 1 > bluetooth
             <blue led goes blue!>
    root@sunspire:/proc/acpi/acer# echo 1 > wireless
             <orange led goes orange!>
    Time to make some eth0 up/down scripts! :>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    The brightness has an interval between 0 and 15, and as expected, I can toggle bluetooth and wireless here, as well.
    Hi, Dumb question, but how did you explore the individual "files"? I also do not have a VGA folder, but I can find a brightness file buried deep in the directory tree and would like to know how to find out the intervals and such. Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by priegog View Post
    Hi, Dumb question, but how did you explore the individual "files"? I also do not have a VGA folder, but I can find a brightness file buried deep in the directory tree and would like to know how to find out the intervals and such. Thanks
    Well, the files are text files* and as such you can view them and write to them in your text editor of choice, be it either Gedit, Kate, Mousepad, nano, cat, etc. I navigated to the directory, made myself root with 'sudo su', then did 'echo 15 > brightness' to make it easy-ish.

As for the intervals; I just set the brightness to max using my Fn+left arrow shortcut and see what the brightness file ended up saying.

Noteworthy is that if you try to edit the file and make the number '16', it refuses to save. As such, you could (save your work and) start with making it 10, then 20, then 30, and by trial and error find out where the limit is. At least this was the case for me; your system may well hard-lock.

*: Not really "files", since everything under /proc just pretends to be files. Difficult to explain. Virtual file system thingie.
    Last edited by Zorael; May 18th, 2008 at 05:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks a bunch, I'll give that a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    *: Not really "files", since everything under /proc just pretends to be files. Difficult to explain. Virtual file system thingie.
    Oddly enought I do know this little fact about the architecture of UNIX, the fact that every single thing must be represented in teh filesystem.

Edit: I just tried doing that, but when I did "nano /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness" (under root), all that was inside the file was
    Code:
    <Not Supported>
    Any ideas? Am I doing it right?
    Last edited by priegog; May 18th, 2008 at 05:57 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123