Thread: trying to install python...ran into a wall.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

trying to install python...ran into a wall.

trying to do the install. i already did the ./config and make and i was trying to do the make install command and this came up:

pete@pete:~/Desktop/Python-2.5.2$ make install
    /usr/bin/install -c python /usr/local/bin/python2.5
    /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/bin/python2.5': Permission denied
    make: *** [altbininstall] Error 1

can someone help me on what i did wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: trying to install python...ran into a wall.

You shouldn't need to install python. python 2.5 comes with the ubuntu distro. just type python at command line and it will put you in the python interpreter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

python 2.5 is installed by default in ubuntu hardy - have a look in synaptic if you arent sure. If you dont have it installed for some reason do:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install python2.5

And for future reference the problem you were having with compiling it was due to you not having superuser powers https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    How To Use Ubuntu - Tips and guides for ubuntu
    How To Make A Band - Tips and ideas for anyone in a band

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You need to use sudo to be able to install a program in a system wide fashion.

Use:

sudo make install

First, run make without su privileges, and the the install.

By the way, why are you compiling python? There are packages in the repositories...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

1. Python comes preinstalled on most Linux-systems, you allready have it! Just type python into a terminal and voila the interactive python-shell opens.
    2. On most Linux-system you don't install by downloading applications from webpages and then somehow installing them. We have so called package-managers. Look into your menu and select Synaptic then it will ask for your password and then you can search for specific programs or just browse through the avaiable ones.
    3. If you want to learn a programming-language then you should have some basic knowledge about your system or at least you should be able to figure such essential things out for yourself.
    Good luck with your Python-adventure, it is worth it if you stick to it.
    I just love it when you're being sarcastic --aks44

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Steveway View Post
    1. Python comes preinstalled on most Linux-systems, you allready have it! Just type python into a terminal and voila the interactive python-shell opens.
    2. On most Linux-system you don't install by downloading applications from webpages and then somehow installing them. We have so called package-managers. Look into your menu and select Synaptic then it will ask for your password and then you can search for specific programs or just browse through the avaiable ones.
    3. If you want to learn a programming-language then you should have some basic knowledge about your system or at least you should be able to figure such essential things out for yourself.
    Good luck with your Python-adventure, it is worth it if you stick to it.
    yeah i know. i need to learn more about the linux, but i know windows in and out. so i didn't think switching would be that big of a problem. and python i hear is the easiest to learn, so i'm gonna try it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I've played around with python some myself it is really easy to use and you'll pick it up fast. Don't worry about not knowing python came preinstalled, I didn't know untill i went to the python site and read that it came on most linux oses. Just don't give up on linux, after you get over a few problems with the switch you'll really end up liking it a lot.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Krumar View Post
    I've played around with python some myself it is really easy to use and you'll pick it up fast. Don't worry about not knowing python came preinstalled, I didn't know untill i went to the python site and read that it came on most linux oses. Just don't give up on linux, after you get over a few problems with the switch you'll really end up liking it a lot.
    i've had ubuntu for about 4-5 days now, and i'm never turning back to microsoft.