Thread: Problems when upgrading from Dapper lts to Hardy Lts

Hybrid View

Beans

Unhappy Problems when upgrading from Dapper lts to Hardy Lts

Hello,

I tried to update from Dapper LTS to Hardy LTS and ran into troubles.

What I did was to run:
    sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade && sudo aptitude autoclean
    sudo aptitude install ubuntu-desktop

Then I open /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all dapper instances with hardy.

After that I run
    sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade && sudo aptitude dist-upgrade && sudo aptitude autoclean

and restart my laptop (ACER Aspire 3002wlci).

Then I got an error message saying that xserver failed to start.
    I read in a post that I could fix that running:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    but got an error message saying that xserver-xorg is broken or not fully installed

So, I tried:
    sudo aptitude reinstall xserver-xorg

but got the message "dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run dpkg --configure -a to correct the problem"

Did that, but got a huge list of errors saying "dependency problems prevent configuration of" Among the programs listed are xkeyboard-config, gnome-panel, xserver-xorg, gs-common, ghostscript-x, scribus.

After that nothing works. Any aptitude or apt-get command returns that I should run dpkg --configure -a and dpkg --configure -a keeps returning the long list of errors.

Please, any ideas how I can solve this (note I am in command line mode or in other words can't execute synaptic)?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Problems when upgrading from Dapper lts to Hardy Lts

I'm just wondering why you had to "open /etc/apt/sources.list and replace all dapper instances with hardy"? I think the dist-upgrade should have done that.

Possible you ran out of disk space? Do a "df" and see.

Worse case, upgrade from CD.

By the way, you can try "sudo su -" and then be in root all the time, saves a little typing.

Beans

It doesn't seem to be a space problem. Disk space reported by df -h is:
    4.8G in /dev/hda1
    601M /var/run
    601M /var/lock
    601M /dev
    601M /dev/shm
    583M /lib/modules/2.6.15-51-386/volatile

I had always modified /etc/apt/sources.list by hand. Didn't know it should have been changed by dist-upgrade.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lpc View Post
    It doesn't seem to be a space problem.
    I may be talking about the old days but you had two partitions, one was / which was like 5G and could fill up easily, it contained all the system type of files, the other was /home.

What I was thinking is that / might have been full. If you had old style stuff from a previous install.

And I am still suggesting a fresh install via CD, there should be a way to do that without wiping out any data from /home, but back up important stuff anyway, the live CD will let you copy files, mount USB drives etc...

I think you pick "manually edit partition table" and just leave things alone and then it will just use what is there, I am not sure and the instructions on the link below isn't clear (bad, bad, bad whoever made those screens, should be more clear when you might wipe out data).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

I didn't upgrade that way so I don't know, maybe someone else does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lpc View Post
    but got the message "dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run dpkg --configure -a to correct the problem"

Did that, but got a huge list of errors saying "dependency problems prevent configuration of" Among the programs listed are xkeyboard-config, gnome-panel, xserver-xorg, gs-common, ghostscript-x, scribus.
    I had the same problem due to a failed upgrade (power went off), and I use the --force-all switch to overcome the dependency problems.

Code:
    dpkg --configure -a --force-all

Note that force-all may not be ideal for you;
    Code:
    dpkg --force-help
    will give a list of force options, you should select the most reasonable. I was too lazy to select, and the net result was that while everything worked fine after, all customized config files (samba.conf, blacklist, etc) were replaced with defaults.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."