Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torrents killing network...not the usual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Torrents killing network...not the usual

Not sure if this is Deluge(0.9.5.0) related but this is where I run into my little problem.

When downloading a torrent everything goes along smoothly at first.I can surf fine etc.After a while my network connection drops and reconnects and continues to do so every few minutes as long as the torrent is downloading.

It has only started doing this recently(ie the last few days...)

Anyone else notice this happening?
    What color do Smurfs turn when you choke em?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Torrents killing network...not the usual

I found no such problems with Transmission.
    When the upload speeds are close to your peak upload speed, it takes longer to open new pages, but apart from that everything works just fine.
    Face your daemons

Beans

It could very likely be that your ISP is choking you off because you are using P2P. This is something that has become a bigger and bigger problem. I think there is actually some litigation now with some of the ISPs. If you use torrent, make sure you use random ports. Most p2ps are used through ports 6881 to 6889. Go to preferences->network and it will give you the random port option.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Anduu View Post
    Not sure if this is Deluge(0.9.5.0) related but this is where I run into my little problem.

When downloading a torrent everything goes along smoothly at first.I can surf fine etc.After a while my network connection drops and reconnects and continues to do so every few minutes as long as the torrent is downloading.

It has only started doing this recently(ie the last few days...)

Anyone else notice this happening?
    I had similar issues with Deluge, I honestly have no idea why, and my attempts at diagnosis failed miserably! Transmission & kTorrent both work fine for me.

Contrary to popular belief P2P is not illegal so your ISP should not be choking you for using bittorrent. The bittorrent protocol itself is perfectly legal, most distros nowadays offer to distribute their .iso's using it! The misconception is purely due to the fact that most people use it to distribute things that copyright doesn't entitle them to.

Beans

Yeah, I know its not illegal.
    Here is a link about comcast choking off p2p users. They are not the only ones.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines

There are thousands of similar stories on the web.

and another:
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1740976740

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by agim View Post
    Yeah, I know its not illegal.
    Here is a link about comcast choking off p2p users. They are not the only ones.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines

There are thousands of similar stories on the web.

and another:
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1740976740
    You'll also note that it wound up with a senate inquiry

I have a funny feeling that ISPs do things like that to come off looking good in the eyes of the ignorant, whilst reducing their traffic and thus costs. I am in a rather cynical mood today though...

Beans

Yes, I did notice the senate inquiry. I also notice that it is going on. I don't understand what you're getting at? It is happening, thats just the way it is. And its not just Comcast. This is a rather important issue involving net neutrality. Making pretend it doesn't happen or that its rare... burying our head in the sand isn't going to make it go away.
    I'm surprised. This has been discussed on this forum before, I thought someone with your bean count would be more aware of this. The matter has gone all the way to the FCC, if you google it, you can find that Verizon has tried to ban P2P (in fact, the p2p ban has been in their users contracts).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by agim View Post
    Yes, I did notice the senate inquiry. I also notice that it is going on. I don't understand what you're getting at? It is happening, thats just the way it is. And its not just Comcast. This is a rather important issue involving net neutrality. Making pretend it doesn't happen or that its rare... burying our head in the sand isn't going to make it go away.
    I'm surprised. This has been discussed on this forum before, I thought someone with your bean count would be more aware of this. The matter has gone all the way to the FCC, if you google it, you can find that Verizon has tried to ban P2P (in fact, the p2p ban has been in their users contracts).
    Sorry, I don't mean to come across as though I'm not aware of it, I know it happens (thankfully not as much in Australia, although our ISPs are terrible regardless), I guess I'm suggesting that it's up in the air at the moment and I'm confident that we should come down on the right side of the fence. If not I'll move to Sweden!

The main thing I was suggesting was that the reason companies attempt this kind of thing has nothing to do with any 'noble cause' as the media often suggests. They don't do it to 'stamp out illegal file sharing,' they do it to reduce the strain on their network so they pay less to the backbone providers they rent the bandwidth from.

Beans

While I noticed this turning more into a focus on ISP rather than Ubuntu/Deluge I thought I'd add my 2c at least to the technical side of things; using 8.04 and Deluge 0.5.8.9 and have no problems at all, on the contrary I can maximize my 30mb connection both up and down just fine, so if there's a tech problem contributing to this it's at least not prevalent in all configurations..

Beans

Try to reduce your connections in the torrent-client. This sounds to me like your router can't handel that many connections and is resting itself.

Today only a limited number of router can handle more than 100 connections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast