Thread: Good C++ tools

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Good C++ tools

Hello, I'm new to Ubuntu and am looking for some good tools to program in C++. An IDE would be alright or if there are any good compilers, that would be excellent as well. In the case that I do just get a compiler, are there any good linkers? I'll probably use Vim for text editing if it's compatible with the compiler/linker.

Thanks,
    Chicken Dinner

Beans

Re: Good C++ tools

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Hello, I'm new to Ubuntu and am looking for some good tools to program in C++. An IDE would be alright or if there are any good compilers, that would be excellent as well. In the case that I do just get a compiler, are there any good linkers? I'll probably use Vim for text editing if it's compatible with the compiler/linker.

Thanks,
    Chicken Dinner
    See the sticky.

The question doesn't really make sense.

You can use any editor to code with. See the sticky for IDE's and editors. The most common compiler for C++ is part of gcc. The sticky also addresses this.

Beans

I use the IDE Geany for programming with Python. It has a compile fuction, and I believe it supports C++. It is a very nice IDE in my opinion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sekinto View Post
    I use the IDE Geany for programming with Python. It has a compile fuction, and I believe it supports C++. It is a very nice IDE in my opinion.
    Geany can't compile. The compiler does that.

The sticky has links that answer all the editor/ide questions. We don't need thousands of threads of everyone recommending the one they use.