Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing ATI and get X Server: Unable to Detect

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Installing ATI and get X Server: Unable to Detect

Thanks, yes there are tons of instructions on the web, official, semi-official, unofficial and then sort of damn hacks, but none of them is actually working for me.

The main problem is that old Ati drivers do not support newer Xorg, which is delivered by most of linux distros nowadays.. And switching to older X means lots of other incompatibility issues etc, etc. It is possibly better to buy a new card instead of messing up with this.. it seems the support is not going to be better anymore for older (just few years ) chipsets from AMD side, it is a sad fact.

But still, there are open source drivers and it's just fine for me, I am really not a hardcore gamer, sometimes playing chess.. even 3d, who cares about framerate

Anyway, if someone get any of Ati R2xx chipset on closed-source drivers and current Xorg working, please post your experience here, I am just wondering.

Thanks for your help,
    best!
    (happy Ubuntu user) xoff
    Last edited by x_off; March 31st, 2009 at 02:26 PM.

Beans

i need help i cant get graphics card wprking ive read over forms n forms un able to detect i dont no please help email me cyums@hotmail.com i am new to ubuntu and am bout to give up

Beans

Same problem, ATI Radeon 9200 SE, couldn't find XOrg!

But it's not possible to buy a new video card that suits with my old board agp8x slot...

No Country for Old Ati!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12