Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer doesn't shutdown properly

Beans

Computer doesn't shutdown properly

In the past my various Linux distributions have all been able to shutdown perfectly fine on my hardware (Fedora, Gentoo, Suse, various others). However since installing Ubuntu (or any variants) whenever I try and shutdown the computer hangs at the end of the shutdown screen (ie it shuts down fine, just doesn't switch off). I believe this is an ACPI issue, related to the fact that I have to have ACPI turned off for Ubuntu to boot into X? None of the newer Ubuntu Live CDs will boot graphically without ACPI turned off either.

This is really annoying me! Sorry if I haven't been very specific, I can provide more details if needed. I hope there's a quick fix - I don't want to have to buy a new motherboard!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Computer doesn't shutdown properly

This may or may not work for you: Run
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    Add the line
    Code:
    apm power_off=1
    Then boot with kernel options: "acpi=off apm=power_off".
    You have to reboot once before the change will take effect.

Beans

I'm having a similar problem since I upgraded to Hardy (Xubuntu, running latest updates including linux-image-2.6.24-17-generic kernel)

My system (FIC ION A603) supports full ACPI and I didn't have this problem in Feisty or Gutsy.

Think this is ACPI related and the solution is to turn it off as suggested above?

Trying to understand why this would have happened only after upgrade...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello jwishnie, unlike sirjavabean, you have not yet decided to run the kernel with the "acpi=off" boot option. Since in the past (on Feisty and Gutsy) you have been able to run with acpi on, it is best to find a way to run with acpi on in Hardy as well.

People turn acpi off because of severe problems such as the machine hanging at boot. Turning acpi off, however, can cause certain hardware to go undetected, and it can cause this shutdown hanging problem.
    So I would recommend avoiding the acpi=off option if you can.

You could try booting with kernel option "apm=power_off" and editing /etc/modules
    to include
    Code:
    apm power_off=1
    I don't think there is any harm in trying that.

Also, were you experiencing this problem in Hardy before the linux-image-2.6.24-17-generic kernel update?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Experiencing shutdown problem since heron kernel update also, seems to be related to my antique bios and overuse of the computer (overheating the processor by heavy DVI download and web site javascript programming of my arts diaporamas with GEANY).
    I am amazed that the Xnote micro-laptop still work SUPERBLY otherwise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by unutbu View Post
    Then boot with kernel options: "acpi=off apm=power_off".
    You have to reboot once before the change will take effect.
    Obviously, if you have Hyper-Threading, you will have to put "acpi=ht" instead

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unutbu View Post
    Hello jwishnie, unlike sirjavabean, you have not yet decided to run the kernel with the "acpi=off" boot option. Since in the past (on Feisty and Gutsy) you have been able to run with acpi on, it is best to find a way to run with acpi on in Hardy as well.

People turn acpi off because of severe problems such as the machine hanging at boot. Turning acpi off, however, can cause certain hardware to go undetected, and it can cause this shutdown hanging problem.
    So I would recommend avoiding the acpi=off option if you can.

You could try booting with kernel option "apm=power_off" and editing /etc/modules
    to include
    Code:
    apm power_off=1
    I don't think there is any harm in trying that.

Also, were you experiencing this problem in Hardy before the linux-image-2.6.24-17-generic kernel update?
    Hi Unbunt, the problem has been there since Hardy initial release with the linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic.

I also tested against linux-image-2.6.25-1-generic from the proposed Intrepid packages.

All exhibit the same problems.

I will try apm.

Any other suggestions?

- Jeff

Beans

[SOLVED] Computer doesn't shutdown properly

Hi all,

The issue on my FIC ION was the framebuffer module: lxfb

This is not blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-frambuffer (where a couple dozen others are).

Adding 'blacklist lxfb' to this file solves the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wow, thanks for that info jwishnie. How did you track down the problem to lxfb?

Beans

Tried to APM/ACPI stuff with no luck.

Tracked the problem to bootsplash--booting with 'splash' removed from the kernel options solved the problem, so I figured it was framebuffer related.

Noticed 'lxfb' (the framebuffer module that will load on my hardware) was _not_ on the blacklist, so added it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast