Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your killer Windows app/ app you simply can't be without in Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What is your killer Windows app/ app you simply can't be without in Linux?

I recently installed Digsby on my Windows install, y'know, just to see what all the buzz was about. I was, to say the least, blown away. For those who don't know, Digsby aims to integrate IM, Email, and Social Networking in one handy application. And integrate it does. In fact, when I booted up into Linux, I immediately felt that there was something missing, and within 15 minutes, I booted back into Windows just for Digsby. This got me thinking.... "If I can be swayed to boot back into Windows just for one app, what other amazing Windows apps can there be?" Hence the creation of this thread. I ask you, fellow Ubuntuites.... what is your killer Windows app/ app you can't live without?

So for me:

Digsby (duh)
    To an extent, Miro (yes I know it's available for Linux and is in the repos, but it doesn't seem to have the polish that the Windows version does)
    Gandhi once said: "We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
    So you want a separate /home partition?|Ubuntu World Map|Linux IS NOT Windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What is your killer Windows app/ app you simply can't be without in Linux?

There is none for me.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans

Considering I haven't booted into a windows machine for over 6 months, I'd say there's none I can't be without, but I will say that I miss SmartFTP.

Filezilla and Bluefish work well and are fine, but I liked SmartFTP a lot for updating the website.
    If the advice you're given in this forum solves your issue, please mark the post as [SOLVED] in consideration to others.
    Registered Linux User: 448689 | How To: Secure the GRUB Boot Loader
    [ Acer Aspire 5535 | Arch Linux x86_64 | Compiz WM ]

Beans
    Hidden!

In my case it's Reaper. Luckily it works perfectly in wine, and is made that way (it even lists wine as one of its listed OSs)
    The only problem is a few VST plugins don't work so well, but that's okay, I can use others instead.
    So really, I have no need of windows at all anymore.
    The only Windows device in my house now is my pda/phone which runs windows mobile 6.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

only games, other than that none for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I miss using DeLorme Street Atlas with my Earthmate GPS. I can't seem to get it to work in Wine. GPSDrive just doesn't get it.
    8) Mike
    Ubuntu User# 21381

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well.. there is nothing I'd kill somebody for.. but I'd like it if Flash worked with Firefox just like it does on Windows. I've no other complaint..
    India is a pluralist society that creates magic with democracy, rule of law and individual freedom, community relations and diversity. I wouldn't mind being born ten times to rediscover India. - Robert Blackwill, U.S Ambassador until 2003.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I can definitely live without this one, but I need it to record etudes and practice sheet music in band.
    Finale 08 and SmartMusic 10.

I tried to run under Wine, but guess what? The sound didn't work =p.

Winamp is another amazing one!!

Rhythmbox and Banshee just don't compare! (Though Amarok is getting very close, better syncing and a less hectic UI and then it'd be my #1).

Beans
    Hidden!

Nothing. I don't play games anymore so there's no reason for me to keep windows around anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Games (Mainly, UT 2004).
    Also, some developing tools, such as CodeGear Delphi 2007, and some Visual Studio stuff (which I am trying to learn, along with python and php, but linux is just great for those).
    Last edited by dashnak; May 5th, 2008 at 03:37 AM.
    Satanarchist

Page 1 of 70 1231151 ... LastLast