Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 195967686970 LastLast

Thread: What is your killer Windows app/ app you simply can't be without in Linux?

Beans

Re: What is your killer Windows app/ app you simply can't be without in Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgoode83 View Post
    The only reason I keep a Windows partition these days is for Netflix and Love Film.
    You can use both on Ubuntu now:
    http://www.iheartubuntu.com/2012/11/...sktop-app.html
    Install Pipelight (run Netflix and other VOD services on Linux)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

CCCP
    Real Alternative
    Quicktime Lite
    Last edited by flavouride; December 27th, 2012 at 08:28 PM.

Beans

Games !!!

Beans
    Hidden!

I used to change back to windows xp at times to play EVE online but nowadays I run it with Wine on Ubuntu 12.04.
    What I do miss at times is Winamp.

Beans
    Hidden!

Same. Fallout 3 and games in general just works best for me on Windows XP. More so because I only have 1GB of ram and using wine is often not the same. And its not just the games themselves, big user of mods which may include using script extenders, mod mangers and the like which don't always work well on wine.
    Last edited by MasterNetra; April 23rd, 2013 at 09:57 PM.
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieApocalypse View Post
    But in Libreoffice you can save in the Microsoft formats, including the newer XML versions (eg .docx, .xlsx, etc). So either way it's not a problem. Even in Windows I still use Libreoffice.
    True but why continue to propagate MS's closed formats while even his school doesn't insist on it?

My biggest problem with MSO (and MicroSoft in general) is not that it is proprietary, but it is pushing a closed standard to lock in users and lock out competitors. Not only do I use LibreOffice, I also use odf as much as possible,--now that MSO is supposed to support it.

Why is it that whenever LibreOffice and OpenOffice don't render MS's closed formats perfectly it is considered a shortcoming for these softwares, while it is ok that MSO doesn't support open standard at all or does it very poorly? There is only one way to solve the compatability problem with MSO, which is stop using its closed formats.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; April 24th, 2013 at 12:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I recently installed Digsby on my Windows install, y'know, just to see what all the buzz was about. I was, to say the least, blown away. For those who don't know, Digsby aims to integrate IM, Email, and Social Networking in one handy application. And integrate it does. In fact, when I booted up into Linux, I immediately felt that there was something missing, and within 15 minutes, I booted back into Windows just for Digsby. This got me thinking.... "If I can be swayed to boot back into Windows just for one app, what other amazing Windows apps can there be?" Hence the creation of this thread. I ask you, fellow Ubuntuites.... what is your killer Windows app/ app you can't live without?
    Digsby is just awesome. Never found an equivalent. Just the little popup, and the fact that you can reply in it blew me away, as well. Just for this feature, there are no equivalent!
    For now, I can get Digsby running in Wine, but it's glitchy.

My killer app: 3ds Max 2013. I can't even get it to run properly / smoothly in a VM (Memory eater, lack of 3D acceleration / stuck in OpenGL display / Zooming glitch).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For me there is 2 apps I would love to see in Linux
    mIRC
    Winamp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    True but why continue to propagate MS's closed formats while even his school doesn't insist on it?

My biggest problem with MSO (and MicroSoft in general) is not that it is proprietary, but it is pushing a closed standard to lock in users and lock out competitors. Not only do I use LibreOffice, I also use odf as much as possible,--now that MSO is supposed to support it.

Why is it that whenever LibreOffice and OpenOffice don't render MS's closed formats perfectly it is considered a shortcoming for these softwares, while it is ok that MSO doesn't support open standard at all or does it very poorly? There is only one way to solve the compatability problem with MSO, which is stop using its closed formats.

+1000000. A second somewhat related issue is archiving. I wonder how opening an MS Word 2007 document is going to work in the year 2047? There's no guarantee an .odt file created in 2013 will open properly in 2047 either but it seems like the odds are somewhat improved.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I haven't yet found a good way to update the map software for auto GPS devices in Linux. I bought a TomTom years ago; even though the device runs on Linux, the software application it uses to update map versions is Windows or Mac-only. I got so disgusted with the company not supporting Linux in any fashion that I gave the GPS away. I can't find that Garmin is any better, which is why I haven't spent any money for another GPS; I just limp along using Google Maps on my Android phone (useless outside of cell coverage area).
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Page 69 of 70 FirstFirst ... 195967686970 LastLast