Thread: Changing SQL database location outside of /var/lib/mysql results in permission error

Beans

Changing SQL database location outside of /var/lib/mysql results in permission error

I'm trying to change the datadir for MySQL, but always end up with permission errors no matter that directory I use, if it is different than /var/lib/mysql. The most simple case of the problem is the following:

rm -rf /var/lib/mysql
    mysql_install_db --no-defaults --datadir=/var/lib/mysql
    -> works

rm -rf /var/lib/mysql-abc
    mysql_install_db --no-defaults --datadir=/var/lib/mysql-abc
    -> fails with
    080504 19:59:52 [Warning] Can't create test file /var/lib/mysql-abc/maya.lower-test
    ERROR: 1005 Can't create table 'db' (errno: 13)

rm -rf /var/lib/mysql/subdir
    mysql_install_db --no-defaults --datadir=/var/lib/mysql/subdir
    -> works

The fact that I can change the datadir to a subdir but not to another directory suggests that mysql performs a chroot /var/lib/mysql at some point - but I don't know where/why

For these cases, I have removed the /etc/mysql/my.conf

I am root when doing all this, and I have just installed mysql with "apt-get install mysql-client mysql-server"

Anyone has an idea?

Beans

Re: Changing SQL database location outside of /var/lib/mysql results in permission er

Looks like /var/lib/mysql is owned by the mysql user and the group is set to mysql as well.

$ sudo chown -R mysql /var/lib/mysql-abc
    $ sudo chgrp -R mysql /var/lib/mysql-abc
    $ sudo chmod 755 /var/lib/mysql-abc

Beans

Re: Changing SQL database location outside of /var/lib/mysql results in permission er

If you look in the commands I gave above, you'll notice that I rm -rf the directory before I create the database, /var/lib/mysql-abc and /var/lib/mysql do not exist prior to the mysql_install_db command - so permissions can't be an issue here.

Beans

I have much the same issue. I have /var/lib symlinked to a different disk, and it creates the same issues:

Code:
    $ ls -ld /var/lib/mysql
    drwxr-xr-x 3 mysql mysql 4096 2008-05-07 16:09 /var/lib/mysql
    The errors from syslog are:
    Code:
    May  7 16:01:29 vcke-gl-linux mysqld_safe[5927]: started
    May  7 16:01:29 vcke-gl-linux kernel: [   77.275620] audit(1210140089.689:2): type=1503 operation="inode_create" requested_mask="w::" denied_mask="w::" name="/mnt/fastdata/var/lib/mysql/vcke-gl-linux.lower-test" pid=5929 profile="/usr/sbin/mysqld" namespace="default"
    May  7 16:01:29 vcke-gl-linux mysqld[5931]: 080507 16:01:29 [Warning] Can't create test file /var/lib/mysql/vcke-gl-linux.lower-test
    May  7 16:01:29 vcke-gl-linux kernel: [   77.277266] audit(1210140089.689:3): type=1503 operation="inode_create" requested_mask="w::" denied_mask="w::" name="/mnt/fastdata/var/lib/mysql/vcke-gl-linux.lower-test" pid=5929 profile="/usr/sbin/mysqld" namespace="default"
    May  7 16:01:29 vcke-gl-linux mysqld[5931]: 080507 16:01:29 [Warning] Can't create test file /var/lib/mysql/vcke-gl-linux.lower-test
    May  7 16:01:29 vcke-gl-linux kernel: [   77.398269] audit(1210140089.809:4): type=1503 operation="inode_permission" requested_mask="rw::" denied_mask="rw::" name="/mnt/fastdata/var/lib/mysql/ibdata1" pid=5929 profile="/usr/sbin/mysqld" namespace="default"
    May  7 16:01:29 vcke-gl-linux mysqld[5931]: 080507 16:01:29  InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file operation.
    May  7 16:01:29 vcke-gl-linux mysqld[5931]: InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
    May  7 16:01:29 vcke-gl-linux mysqld[5931]: InnoDB: the directory.
    May  7 16:01:29 vcke-gl-linux mysqld[5931]: InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
    May  7 16:01:29 vcke-gl-linux mysqld[5931]: InnoDB: File operation call: 'open'.
    May  7 16:01:29 vcke-gl-linux mysqld[5931]: InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
    May  7 16:01:29 vcke-gl-linux mysqld_safe[5937]: ended
    Could it be that mysqld is running as another user?

I couldn't successfully su to mysql to try it from the shell.

vik

Beans

Exclamation Re: Changing SQL database location outside of /var/lib/mysql results in permission er

Hello,

There is now an apparmor profile enabled by default for mysql that will prevent mysql to access non standard area of the file system. Putting the mysql profile in complain mode using "sudo aa-complain" as described in the server guide should show you this in the logs.

To fix this, you will need to add /mnt/fastdata/var/lib/mysql (or whatever non standard path you are using) to the list of authorized paths in the apparmor mysql profile you will find in /etc/apparmor.d/.

Hope this helps,
    Nick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04, MySQL 5.0.83.
    I was following this great tutorial for installing multiple instances of mysql on the same server, and ran into this issue.

I was able to resolve it by running:
    Code:
    vim /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld
    And then edited the block of mysql paths to appear as follows:
    Code:
      /etc/mysql/*.pem r,
      /etc/mysql/conf.d/ r,
      /etc/mysql/conf.d/* r,
      /etc/mysql/my.cnf r,
      /etc/mysql2/*.pem r,
      /etc/mysql2/conf.d/ r,
      /etc/mysql2/conf.d/* r,
      /etc/mysql2/my.cnf r,
      /usr/sbin/mysqld mr,
      /usr/share/mysql/** r,
      /usr/share/mysql2/** r,
      /var/log/mysql.log rw,
      /var/log/mysql.err rw,
      /var/lib/mysql/ r,
      /var/lib/mysql/** rwk,
      /var/log/mysql/ r,
      /var/log/mysql/* rw,
      /var/log/mysql2.log rw,
      /var/log/mysql2.err rw,
      /var/lib/mysql2/ r,
      /var/lib/mysql2/** rwk,
      /var/log/mysql2/ r,
      /var/log/mysql2/* rw,
      /var/run/mysqld/mysqld*.pid w,
      /var/run/mysqld/mysqld*.sock w,

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Same problem here. I needed to get my mysql datadir on a different partition to avoid using up all the drive space there.

I moved the mysql directory from /var/lib to /home.

I was beating my head against the wall until I updated /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld.

Thanks excalq!
    Oh, a keyboard. How quaint.

Beans

Hey, I just found this thread and it sounds like exactly what is happening in my situation, but in my case changing the apparmor profile at /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld did not fix the error.

Here is the error it is giving me

In addition to this error, no log files are created even though it says to check the logs

Code:
    demo@ubuntu:/media/FreeAgentDisk$ mysql_install_db --ldata=data
    Installing MySQL system tables...
    110429 14:34:42 [Warning] Can't create test file /usr/data/ubuntu.lower-test
    110429 14:34:42 [Warning] Can't create test file /usr/data/ubuntu.lower-test
    /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't change dir to '/usr/data/' (Errcode: 2)
    110429 14:34:42 [ERROR] Aborting

110429 14:34:42 [Note] /usr/sbin/mysqld: Shutdown complete

Beans

A year and some change later, for anybody else with this problem...

Just editing the profile in /etc/apparmor.d alone won't do the trick. You must then reload the profile you've edited.

Code:
    you@box:~$ sudo apt-get install apparmor-utils
    you@box:~$ sudo apparmor_parser -a < /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.mysqld
    THEN you can try restarting mysql again, and you should have joy. (Alternately, of course, you could have gone into Windows Mode[tm] and rebooted the machine.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Old thread closed.