Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: how do i stealth my ports?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Beans
    113

    how do i stealth my ports?

    how do i stealth my ports? the only port thats stealthed when i run http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/ is my netbios port. how do i get all the other ports to be stealthed?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Here
    Beans
    32
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

    Re: how do i stealth my ports?

    Dunno, mine are all stealthed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London, England
    Beans
    7,719

    Re: how do i stealth my ports?

    I'm not too impressed with that hackertwatch web site. It just failed to notice my open SSH port.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Beans
    68
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

    Re: how do i stealth my ports?

    Install a firewall (I recommend firestarter). By default it will "drop silently" all packets that it doesn't allow, thus making the service "stealth". Just make sure you allow any services you do need in the "Inbound traffic policy" of the rules, otherwise they will not work.
    Sean T Murray

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Beans
    57
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: how do i stealth my ports?

    I prefer using Steve Gibson's ShieldsUP!

    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Idaho
    Beans
    473
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: how do i stealth my ports?

    Quote Originally Posted by waggingwabbit View Post
    how do i stealth my ports? the only port thats stealthed when i run http://www.hackerwatch.org/probe/ is my netbios port. how do i get all the other ports to be stealthed?
    Are you behind a router/NAT?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    /dev/null
    Beans
    2,793
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

    Re: how do i stealth my ports?

    Quote Originally Posted by rmtatum View Post
    I prefer using Steve Gibson's ShieldsUP!

    https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    pfft. another semi useless marketing scare tactic. All that does is check your router/gateway for open ports it doesn't mean that you are at risk at all. in fact it means nothing about your machine if you have a nat router/gateway unless you forward the ports to your box.

    the only time either of these sites can even come close to being useful is if you have a direct connection to the internet with no intervening NAT devices or router.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Beans
    355

    Re: how do i stealth my ports?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsoldier2003 View Post
    pfft. another semi useless marketing scare tactic. All that does is check your router/gateway for open ports it doesn't mean that you are at risk at all. in fact it means nothing about your machine if you have a nat router/gateway unless you forward the ports to your box.

    the only time either of these sites can even come close to being useful is if you have a direct connection to the internet with no intervening NAT devices or router.
    Amen. I wish I had a response with more content but unfortunately Oldsoldier2003 hit the nail on the head.
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    UbuntuSecurity
    Blawg
    Questions pertaining to "stealthed" ports kind of make me LOL IRL

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Idaho
    Beans
    473
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: how do i stealth my ports?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsoldier2003 View Post
    pfft. another semi useless marketing scare tactic. All that does is check your router/gateway for open ports it doesn't mean that you are at risk at all. in fact it means nothing about your machine if you have a nat router/gateway unless you forward the ports to your box.

    the only time either of these sites can even come close to being useful is if you have a direct connection to the internet with no intervening NAT devices or router.
    Rubbish. While part of what you say is true, Shields Up! is a great tool for a novice user to check his/her port security. If one of the ports is open, it must lead somewhere because a service is listening. Maybe someone's son set his computer as the DMZ host to do some gaming, and due to DHCP IP address assignments the family computer with NetBIOS and Remote Desktop running became exposed to the network. I myself have used it as a quick port scan to test if my router is forwarding FTP and SSH ports correctly.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Beans
    355

    Re: how do i stealth my ports?

    Quote Originally Posted by lespaul_rentals View Post
    Rubbish. While part of what you say is true, Shields Up! is a great tool for a novice user to check his/her port security. If one of the ports is open, it must lead somewhere because a service is listening. Maybe someone's son set his computer as the DMZ host to do some gaming, and due to DHCP IP address assignments the family computer with NetBIOS and Remote Desktop running became exposed to the network. I myself have used it as a quick port scan to test if my router is forwarding FTP and SSH ports correctly.
    Does it need to lead somewhere? My router uses NAT, if I open port 22 on my router, but there is no active SSH service on port 22 (or any other service using port 22 for that matter) it will say port 22 is open/closed but not stealthed.
    Last edited by The Tronyx; May 7th, 2008 at 08:59 PM.
    UbuntuBeginnersTeam
    UbuntuSecurity
    Blawg
    Questions pertaining to "stealthed" ports kind of make me LOL IRL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •