Thread: Sound problems upon upgrade to Hardy

Beans

Sound problems upon upgrade to Hardy

Hello. I have an HP Pavilion dv6000, and I just upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy. Since this time I have been having weird sound problems. The sound is incredibly scratchy, or sounds like it has very high bass, if that makes sense.

I get the same problems no matter what file type I play, if I play something online, etc. I tried using headphones and the laptop speakers and both have the same problem. I also tried changing devices, and Alsa, OSS and PulseAudio all have a similar problem.

This is my lspci output:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)

Does anyone know what the problem might be? Let me know if I need to provide additional information. Thanks for the help!

Beans

Re: Sound problems upon upgrade to Hardy

Anyone? My sound is unusable.

Beans

There seems to be lots of issues with pulseaudio soundserver. Try to kill pulseaudio process through the system monitor.

If that solves the problem, i described a way to disable pulsaudio on startup (it is impossible to totally remove it without removing kubuntu desktop on hardy) on the "how to disable pulsaudio" thread

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickko View Post
    There seems to be lots of issues with pulseaudio soundserver. Try to kill pulseaudio process through the system monitor.

If that solves the problem, i described a way to disable pulsaudio on startup (it is impossible to totally remove it without removing kubuntu desktop on hardy) on the "how to disable pulsaudio" thread
    I killed the pulseaudio application but the problem continues. Any more thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had lots of sound problems lately. Killing pulsaoudio solved all problems. Thanks for the hint.

Beans

I'm having the same problem on the same laptop. Just tried killing pulseaudio and problem remains. Worked great under 7.10. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Beans

Many have issues with Intel HDA-related soundcards, and there are easy fixes for some of us lucky ones.

See http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4869649 as well as the post I linked to there.

Failing that, you may have to compile the snd_hda_intel module from a newer source. Or an older one, seeing as it worked for mostly everyone in 7.10.

More info over at http://www.alsa-project.org/main/ind...dule-hda-intel.

Beans

I just came across this. I don't know why it worked, but it did the trick for me. Good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gromwalh View Post
    I just came across this. I don't know why it worked, but it did the trick for me. Good luck!
    This worked! Thank you for the help.