Thread: .flv breaks audio, then entire computer

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

.flv breaks audio, then entire computer

I have a problem that I think a lot of others are having a similar if not identical problem.

After watching some youtube videos, I'll notice that Pidgin will no longer provide sound. Then I'll notice that NO other audio will provide sound. Closing and restarting Firefox even makes the previously working youtube audio no longer function.

Then usually the entire interface breaks. I click to restart but the secondary window of shutdown options never appears. And then the entire menu won't function for me to try again. Not even alt-f2 works to bring up the window so I can "sudo shutdown -r now".
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: .flv breaks audio, then entire computer

You can report this as a bug in firefox, it appears not to be releasing the audio device, unless things have changed used the alsa-oss wrapper so hogged the audio anyway.
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win
    (12:25:13 PM) sabdfl: OS/2 tried that

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro

How do I report a firefox bug? Also, you sort of lost me after "unless things have changed..."
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro

They can be reported here.
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro

Actually doesn't seem like a bug in Firefox.
    It happens in Opera 9.5

I think it may be the PulseAudio problem so many are having. Put it all to ALSA and seems to be fine now?
    Last edited by Merk42; May 9th, 2008 at 04:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro

That would suggest a pulse audio problem. You could report it to that bug tracker?

Blog | Dropbox