Thread: A complex situation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A complex situation

Ok, let me tell you my situation.
    Zd7000, P4 3.4GHz, Nvidia GeForce something.
    Upgraded from Gutsy to Hardy (Hasty?) a week ago. Everything was working ok until...
    Last night I passed to battery power for a while, and in 10 mins Hardy sucked my (already oldish) battery out in Joule effect.
    Plugged in power supply again, but the heating wouldn't go off (around 60°C, while Gutsy would dwell in the 40's).
    So I looked for a solution: uninstalled powernowd, installed cpufrequtils, modprobed p4_something (as in http://howtoforge.com/cpu_frequency_scaling_ubuntu), added the same module to the modules file, chose a governor (ondemand).
    Heating still on, no sign of improving.
    I read that the video drivers might be the cause, so I downloaded envyng, uninstalled the former drivers and installed the new ones. Now I am in the fantastic predicament of having Hardy unpredictably cut off my pc (no switching off procedure, just plain and brutal cut off) at leisure. Uninstalled nvidia through envyng, same thing.
    Bonus: heating still on.
    Then I followed directions in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=781057, reinstalled nvidia-legacy.
    Now the temperature thing is much better. But it keeps cutting off unexpectecly. Besides, doing the nvidia-setting thing, it says to use nvidia-xconfig because it appears I am not using nvidia drivers.
    What the heck??!
    Now it's either I find a quick and steady solution, or I'll have to say goodbye to Hardy and find a way back to old faithful Gutsy...
    Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    A.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: A complex situation

To be more precise,

Code:
    $ lshw -C video
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
      *-display UNCLAIMED     
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: NV36 [GeForce FX Go5700]
           vendor: nVidia Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           version: a1
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 66MHz
           capabilities: vga_controller bus_master cap_list
           configuration: latency=40 maxlatency=1 mingnt=5