Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying New Macbook Pro, Need advice

Beans

Re: Buying New Macbook Pro, Need advice

All of the input is greatly appreciated. I am not quite sure what kind of work im going to do be doing with my new laptop so i think it would be wise to wait and see. I have orientation at my college in about a month and plan to wait and talk to a professor about what degree would best suit me and what kind of work it would entail. I am still relatively new to the who programming scene, but plan to try some self-taught python programming over the summer. Thanks for all of the help and advice.

Beans

You may already know this, but if you do decide to get the mac, then look into getting a student discount. I purchased mine through my university's bookstore and saved a few hundred dollars.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by maddojf View Post
    (Also, as a side note. When you put 4 Gigs of RAM in the laptop, it will only really use a little over 3 Gigs of it because the processors in the Macbook pros are set to run in only 32 bit mode. You could install a 64 Bit linux and get access to all 4 gigs, but XP and OS X don't really use it all. There is still some things that OS X does to utilize the extra 3 quarters of a gig of ram, but it is not the same as accessing all four gigs the real way.)
    Actually Leopard is a 64-bit operating system and assuming you are running it on a 64-bit platform such as a Core 2 Duo, it will support more than 4 gigs of RAM, however the application running may not be 64-bit and thus not be able to address more then 4 gigs of RAM.

Beans

maddojf, yes i was aware that you can get a student discount, it is really useful...thats another couple hundred bucks that can be spent on some software or something

flaggh, are most apps are 64-bit in apple? and do you recommend 2 or 4 gigs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Laxton14 View Post
    flaggh, are most apps are 64-bit in apple? and do you recommend 2 or 4 gigs?
    I do not think that most apps are 64-bit, yet. I'm not the best person to ask though since I have hardly any experience using OSX.

As for 2 or 4 gigs, I think the more the merrier. Its a relatively inexpensive upgrade especially if you follow maddojf's advice in avoiding overpriced Apple upgrades.

I don't know how much linux experience you have, but cyberdork33's frequent observation that mac hardware support under linux is not the best is definitely something to consider. When I bought my macbook, I bought a used one a year old because I knew that gave me the best chance of immediate success since there was already plenty of time to crack that egg and I never planned on using OSX as my primary OS. I knew what I was getting into and was up to the challenge. Before you go ahead and consider a mac for linux, spend a few days searching the archives and reading about all the issues people have had. Don't forget to go through the wiki:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MacBookPro/SantaRosa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by flaggh View Post
    I do not think that most apps are 64-bit, yet. I'm not the best person to ask though since I have hardly any experience using OSX.
    The other weird thing about it is that you are not on a 64bit kernel. It is an odd situation... The chess game in OSX is a 64bit app!

Quote Originally Posted by flaggh View Post
    I don't know how much linux experience you have, but cyberdork33's frequent observation that mac hardware support under linux is not the best is definitely something to consider.
    Don't get me wrong, I love my Mac, but if I wanted a dedicated Ubuntu machine, I might consider something else. If you plan to do any programming for OSX, then you pretty much have to get a mac...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin
    I'm going to put my 2 cents in here. I have quite a bit of Mac experiance and have also used linux for over 6 years now.
    First I would say don't be fooled by the dollar differences; Macs have features you can not find in peeecee's like slot loading optical drives and backlit keyboards. Also there is a lot of open source software available for OS X.
    I'm not really trying to start a mac vs peecee war here-tho I know that could happen. I'm only offering an alternate view.
    I use linux on desktop AMD peecees and find that I can do everything I want on them, but you did ask about laptops-notebooks and in that area IMO linux does not do as well. I purchased a HP Pavilion laptop and have run ubuntu and other distros on it-but I am very dissatisfied with it. I did a lot of research on the HP laptops too, but not enough. Power management is terrible-battery life is even worst.
    I'm not saying with proper research that you can't find a good laptop with linux on it but if that is your goal you might want to consider some of the companies that sell laptops with linux pre-installed and set up.
    Even with that though I doubt you will find a model with the features of the Macbook Pros you listed (6 hour battery life and a 15.4" screen & under 6lbs weight)
    Last edited by phidia; May 5th, 2008 at 09:19 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12