Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto program the Logitech Harmony universal remote control on Hardy with Concordance

Beans

Howto program the Logitech Harmony universal remote control with Concordance

**Updated and tested with Intrepid Ibex 8.10**
    The Logitech Harmony universal remote control is the finest I have ever bought, and I've had a few of them. I currently own model 880 but I think this howto should apply to any of the more recent Harmony Advanced models.

As nice as the Harmony is, it requires Windows to run the application that accesses Logitech's extensive online component database. What I used to do was have a Windows virtual machine (via Virtualbox) available on my Ubuntu workstation just so I could have access to the Harmony software. A whole Windows environment for one lousy application! Well, it's not really lousy. What it does is one of the things that makes a Harmony remote so special in the first place. I just don't like the idea of running Windows for anything. A little research showed that the Harmony software does not run at all under Wine, so that was out. And then I read about Concordance and Congruity. These two utilities, along with Logitech's web interface, allow me to do everything natively on Linux that used to require Windows. Not quite as elegantly perhaps but very servicably. This is how I did it.

First off, you'll need some extra software from the Hardy repositories. Follow the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu to enable the Universe repository (my personal preference is to also enable the Multiverse and Restricted repositories). Afterward, this should get you everything you're going to need. From a terminal (just copy/paste):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libusb-dev python-wxversion python-wxgtk2.8 libwxgtk2.8-0 libwxbase2.8-0 python-ctypes python-wxtools python-wxaddons
    If you are told that other software needs to be installed as well, just say Yes. Then get the latest Concordance and Congruity. As of this writing, and what I used, was Concordance 0.20 and Congruity 7. Back to the terminal (execute one line at a time):
    Code:
    cd
    mkdir source
    cd source
    wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/concordance/concordance-0.21.tar.bz2
    wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/congruity/congruity-10.tar.bz2
    Or you can manually get the files from here and here . Anyway, once you have your files we'll uncompress them and process them, again in the same terminal (some of these commands might take a couple minutes each to complete):

Code:
    tar -xvjf congruity-10.tar.bz2
    tar -xvjf concordance-0.21.tar.bz2
    cd concordance-0.21/libconcord
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    cd ../concordance
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    cd ../libconcord/bindings/python
    sudo python setup.py install
    cd ../../../../congruity-10
    sudo make install
    sudo ldconfig
    Next you'll be creating a permissions file. Again from your terminal (after connecting your remote to your computer):

Code:
    lsusb |grep -i logitech
    You should see something similar to this:
    Bus 002 Device 007: ID 046d:c110 Logitech, Inc.
    The 2 numbers you want to pay attention to are the ones (in red) that make up the ID. In this example, they are 046d and c110. Your 2 numbers may be different. Alter and then run the following command replacing the 046d and c110 with your 2 numbers, but leave the quotation marks in place:

Code:
    echo 'SYSFS{idVendor}=="046d", SYSFS{idProduct}=="c110", MODE="666"' |sudo tee /etc/udev/rules.d/custom-concordance.rules
    Now do one more thing to your browser. Change your preferences to ask what you should do with downloads. In Firefox you would select the button in Preferences -> Main -> Downloads -> Always ask...

There, it's all built and installed. You'll now do all of your Harmony configuring through the Logitech web site and the new software you've just installed. From your browser go to http://members.harmonyremote.com. You might be told your software needs updating. Skip past that screen. It doesn't know that you aren't using their Windows software. Next you'll need to login to their site which will require registering if you already haven't. Once registered and logged in you're taken to the main Harmony configuration pages. This howto isn't for teaching you how to use this page. Use the "Support" link or the Logitech forums for that. After you've configured some Devices and Activities on this page you can then click the "Update my Remote" link. The next page that appears will tell you to make sure that your Harmony is connected to your computer via your USB cable. Ignore the rest of the screen and click next. This will bring up a download dialog. Select "Open With" and choose "other". In the selection screen that follows type in /usr/local/bin/congruity and press "Open".

With any luck at all this will open your new Congruity screen which will be your interface for all of the communications between your Harmony and the Logitech web site. There will be at least two times you will be asked to download a file (each time will open Congruity): the first time will be to merely confirm communication with the remote. Subsequent downloads will be to perform the actual data transfers that update your remote. Both the Logitech screens and the Congruity screens take time to refresh. Sometimes up to a minute or more. Be Patient!
    Last edited by marcw; May 6th, 2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Updated to reflect change in udev for Jaunty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Howto program the Logitech Harmony universal remote control on Hardy with Concord

Just FYI for anyone reading the above useful post... My harmony 676 shows up as:

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 012: ID 0400:c359 National Semiconductor Corp.
    when doing lsusb.

'lsusb -v' gave it away, though:

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 012: ID 0400:c359 National Semiconductor Corp. 
    Device Descriptor:
      bLength                18
      bDescriptorType         1
      bcdUSB               1.00
      bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
      bDeviceSubClass         0 
      bDeviceProtocol         0 
      bMaxPacketSize0         8
      idVendor           0x0400 National Semiconductor Corp.
      idProduct          0xc359 
      bcdDevice            7.0c
      iManufacturer           4 HarmonyRemote.com!
      iProduct                4 HarmonyRemote.com!
      iSerial                 0 
      bNumConfigurations      1
      Configuration Descriptor:
        bLength                 9
        bDescriptorType         2
        wTotalLength           41
        bNumInterfaces          1
        bConfigurationValue     1
        iConfiguration          4 HarmonyRemote.com!
        bmAttributes         0xc0
          Self Powered
        MaxPower                0mA
        Interface Descriptor:
          bDescriptorType         4
          bInterfaceNumber        0
          bAlternateSetting       0
          bNumEndpoints           2
          bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Devices
          bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
          bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
          iInterface              0 
            HID Device Descriptor:
              bDescriptorType        33
              bcdHID               1.00
              bCountryCode            0 Not supported
              bNumDescriptors         1
              bDescriptorType        34 Report
              wDescriptorLength      33
             Report Descriptors: 
               ** UNAVAILABLE **
          Endpoint Descriptor:
            bLength                 7
            bDescriptorType         5
            bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
            bmAttributes            3
              Transfer Type            Interrupt
              Synch Type               None
              Usage Type               Data
            wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
            bInterval               1
          Endpoint Descriptor:
            bLength                 7
            bDescriptorType         5
            bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
            bmAttributes            3
              Transfer Type            Interrupt
              Synch Type               None
              Usage Type               Data
            wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
            bInterval               1
    Device Status:     0x0001
      Self Powered
    Last edited by kurtpete; May 10th, 2008 at 11:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Howto program the Logitech Harmony universal remote control on Hardy with Concord

Congruity now has a Sourceforge project at https://sourceforge.net/projects/congruity/

Paul

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for the help. It's a shame the Concordance and Congruity sites don't explain any of this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Re: Howto program the Logitech Harmony universal remote control on Hardy with Concord

I'm afraid I've fallen over at the first step

Code:
    carl@carl-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install build-essential libusb-dev python-wxversion python-wxgtk libwxgtk libwxbase python-ctypes python-wxtools python-wxaddons
    [sudo] password for carl: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    build-essential is already the newest version.
    Package python-wxgtk is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package python-wxgtk has no installation candidate
    carl@carl-laptop:~$
    I'm very new to Ubuntu and Linux so I'm guessing I need to get a different Python package from somewhere?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CarlWalters View Post
    I'm very new to Ubuntu and Linux so I'm guessing I need to get a different Python package from somewhere?
    Nope, but you did nail a flaw in my instructions, since fixed. Follow the instructions at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Ubuntu to enable the Universe repository (at a minimum) and then try again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

no luck so far. I tried enabling the universe/multivers using the instructions at "http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-enable-the-universe-and-multiverse-repositories-in-ubuntu-804-hardy.html" but I still get the same error.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

*bump*

Having the same issue. Please don't post a how-to and let it go stale on here. This is something I'm sure many of us would love to get working. Including myself!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shawnrgr View Post
    Having the same issue. Please don't post a how-to and let it go stale on here. This is something I'm sure many of us would love to get working. Including myself!
    I assume the issue you are referring to is repository enablement. I am not an expert on other methods of enabling repositories. I followed the same instructions that I recommended. If you're having an issue of not being able to get the Universe and/or Multiverse repositories enabled and have followed the instructions on the posted help page, you might want to ask in another forum. Or alternately, search the forums for the similar issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

No not really the issue, repositories are enabled.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast