Thread: How TO install real player gold 11 in hardy

Beans

How TO install real player gold 11 in hardy

Just wanna share my little experience in installing real player. cause i've just installed it in my computer, ok, here the step :

1. Download the .bin file in here, if this link is corrupt, just go to the http://www.real.com/linux , download the . bin file there

2. After that, open your terminal, and change your directory to the bin file you've downloaded (using cd command). in my case, i save my download file to directory home/alyapc/Download, here is the example : (from the first time i open terminal)

first time open the terminal :
    alyapc@alyapc-laptop
    here, the cd command :
    alyapc@alyapc-laptop:~$ cd Download
    look up the contain of the folder using dir command:
    alyapc@alyapc-laptop:~/Download$ dir
    RealPlayer11GOLD.bin
    3. Make the file bin executable by using this code :

chmod a+x RealPlayer11GOLD.bin
    4. Then, type this code : (still in the bin containing directory)

sudo ./RealPlayer11GOLD.bin
    dont forget the (.) in front after the sudo

5. enter your password

6. follow the instruction (it's a very easy instruction, if u can't get what the instruction mean, just press ENTER in every section)

7. Then Complete!!!! check the real media player in application->sound and video->realplayer11

It's very easy....now i can play a lot of stuff in my hardy..
    Last edited by Afif K fiska; May 5th, 2008 at 10:00 AM.
    ....Everything is free....what a beautiful world....

Beans

Re: How TO install real player gold 11 in hardy

As someone that as of today is trying to use Ubuntu for every day tasks could you please explain that again and please keep in mind lots of new users have never run more that a ping command in the windows CMD, i know i am really asking for someone to hold my hand but every guide I read assumes that I already know something about the command line and the correct place to save a .bin file, all I want to do is listen to streaming radio from the BBC currently when i try it comes over in compleet garbage. Thanks, Shane

Beans

One thing I have noticed about realplayer 11 is that when it is open it uses 100% of the CPU..even if its not playing media..I used the .deb that someone made and posted here..other players only use around 20 to 30% of the cpu when there playing media..that is if the System Monitor is accurate in Xubuntu 8.04...

Edit:
    I tried your way and it works..In step 3 the Gold needs to be in all upper case letters..
    but even with this install its eating 100% cpu...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lancern; May 4th, 2008 at 06:54 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shaneblues View Post
    As someone that as of today is trying to use Ubuntu for every day tasks could you please explain that again and please keep in mind lots of new users have never run more that a ping command in the windows CMD, i know i am really asking for someone to hold my hand but every guide I read assumes that I already know something about the command line and the correct place to save a .bin file, all I want to do is listen to streaming radio from the BBC currently when i try it comes over in compleet garbage. Thanks, Shane
    place for the .bin file is up to u, where ever u save it, it doesn't matter. The important thing is cd command. CD means changing your directory to the directory written after the CD command. here is the example

if i wrote : cd home , means that directory under my control now is home

this command work if the subfolder name home exist in the upper directory

For streaming radio, maybe you should look in another section, cause i never do that. sory, hope this will help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lancern View Post
    One thing I have noticed about realplayer 11 is that when it is open it uses 100% of the CPU..even if its not playing media..I used the .deb that someone made and posted here..other players only use around 20 to 30% of the cpu when there playing media..that is if the System Monitor is accurate in Xubuntu 8.04...

Edit:
    I tried your way and it works..In step 3 the Gold needs to be in all upper case letters..
    but even with this install its eating 100% cpu...
    Thanks for your correction, i've change it.
    I install it in ubuntu, and after running system monitor, it's only show about 20 - 30 % cpu works. Maybe something wrong with your Xubuntu system monitor

Beans

note that it don't support avi, wmv etc video.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by presston View Post
    note that it don't support avi, wmv etc video.
    yes you're right, i combine it with VLC, it become a deadfull tools for video player...

Beans

Thankyou, I needed Real Player to listen to online radio.This was a great help.

Beans

good work mate