Thread: No space left on device?

Beans

No space left on device?

I attached a SanDisk MagicGate memory stick (through my printer), and began to copy files. When the drive is only 23% full (according to df), I receive a "No space left on device" error in Thunar. If I copy with cp, it also says:
    Code:
    cp: cannot create regular file `/media/disk/PC230045.JPG': No space left on device
    Why is this happening?

Beans

Re: No space left on device?

Try clearing your trash bin. I find that helps when this happens, somehow the trash gets moved to the device on a hidden folder.
    ThinkPad T410: Core i7@2.66Ghz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m 256Mb, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD, BT, a/b/g/n wifi
    ThinkPad R61: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, Intel X3100, 3GB Ram, 160GB HDD, 6cell Battery, 14inch WXGA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Something similar happened after I washed my memory stick. Does it work in another machine? Not saying yours is broken, but mine sure was. I would try doing what dcast suggested, show hidden folders on the device and empty the trash out.

Beans

Clearing the trash didn't work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MockY View Post
    Something similar happened after I washed my memory stick. Does it work in another machine? Not saying yours is broken, but mine sure was.
    I doubt it - the card is brand new. I can't test on another machine because my printer has the only slot for MagicGate cards in my house, and it's too big to move.

Beans

I figured out most of the problem - I could only add a certain number of files to each directory on the drive. Does anyone know how I might change this limit?

I've got it! According to Wikipedia:
    The number of root directory entries available is set at formatting time, and is stored in a 16-bit signed field setting an absolute limit of 32767 entries (32736, a multiple of 32, in practice). For historical reasons, FAT12 and FAT16 media generally use 512 root directory entries on non-floppy media, and other sizes may be incompatible with some software or devices (entries being file and/or folder names in the old 8.3 format).[9] Some third party tools like mkdosfs allow the user to set this parameter.[10]
    Thus, my Fat-16 drive will only allow a little over 500 files in one directory.
    Last edited by cardinals_fan; May 3rd, 2008 at 11:52 PM.