Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 3 makes Gnome automatically reboot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Firefox 3 makes Gnome automatically reboot

Since installing Hardy Heron, my computer has suffered from random restarts and Gnome crashes. I am going back to Feisty (not Gutsy who worked poorly as well) who did not crash a single time. However, there is a bizarre problem I have encountered that I would like others to test.

When I go to http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Gutsy with Firefox 3 Beta 5, Gnome crashes and throws me out to the log-in window. I have tried with Visual Effects set on None, Normal, and Extra but with no difference. Could someone try it out? My guess is that it is Flash related (though this site does not use flash), but flash has always work extremely poorly on Ubuntu and just having it installed probably causes issues. Have yet to uninstall it though but don't see the point since that would make half of the website unusable.

Beans

Re: Firefox 3 makes Gnome automatically reboot

remove firefox 3, its probably the most logical answer.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by MockY View Post
    Since installing Hardy Heron, my computer has suffered from random restarts and Gnome crashes. I am going back to Feisty (not Gutsy who worked poorly as well) who did not crash a single time. However, there is a bizarre problem I have encountered that I would like others to test.

When I go to http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Gutsy with Firefox 3 Beta 5, Gnome crashes and throws me out to the log-in window. I have tried with Visual Effects set on None, Normal, and Extra but with no difference. Could someone try it out? My guess is that it is Flash related (though this site does not use flash), but flash has always work extremely poorly on Ubuntu and just having it installed probably causes issues. Have yet to uninstall it though but don't see the point since that would make half of the website unusable.
    Firefox 3 Beta 5 is really buggy. My desktop suffered of similar symptoms when streaming video or navigating in Google Maps, using Firefox 3. I suggest you use Firefox 2 instead, proceed as follows if u need to:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove firefox-3.0
    sudo apt-get install firefox-2

Beans
    Distro

Again, why even bother adding FF3 to the final release? We have had this discussion in another thread before, but this is just stupid to add a beta (of any kind) in a supposedly stable release. Whats wrong with automatically upgrading it once it is released...

Beans

Again, why even bother adding FF3 to the final release? We have had this discussion in another thread before, but this is just stupid to add a beta (of any kind) in a supposedly stable release. Whats wrong with automatically upgrading it once it is released...
    well the reason was for easy transition from firefox 3 beta to firefox 3 final, plus the developers did not want to be left behind like what happened with firefox 1.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro

I downgraded and going to the website does not crash Gnome anymore. However, it did crash when holding down CTRL and scrolling to zoom in. I am not doing this often so that does not matter. The reason why I did that now was because since downgrading, the font is very small. How do I go about to fix that?

And now nothing on the panel can be moved using left+right mouse button, even though the items are not locked to it.
    It's like the installation is deteriorating little by little without any reason what so ever. Since Feisty it has just gone downhill and I fear the future of this excellent distro that I have been exclusively been using since 6.06, is just going to get worse.

I just realized that no links open up automatically when clicked on in Thunderbird. Again, I have never had this much issues with Ubuntu before and irritation prevailed. It's time for distro-hunting. I will most likely end up with Feisty, but it's a great opportunity to test new waters for a while. Hopefully Intrepid Ibex turns this around.
    Last edited by MockY; May 3rd, 2008 at 10:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I downgraded and going to the website does not crash Gnome anymore. However, it did crash when holding down CTRL and scrolling to zoom in. I am not doing this often so that does not matter. The reason why I did that now was because since downgrading, the font is very small. How do I go about to fix that?

And now nothing on the panel can be moved using left+right mouse button, even though the items are not locked to it.
    It's like the installation is deteriorating little by little without any reason what so ever. Since Feisty it has just gone downhill and I fear the future of this excellent distro that I have been exclusively been using since 6.06, is just going to get worse.

I just realized that no links open up automatically when clicked on in Thunderbird. Again, I have never had this much issues with Ubuntu before and irritation prevailed. It's time for distro-hunting. I will most likely end up with Feisty, but it's a great opportunity to test new waters for a while. Hopefully Intrepid Ibex turns this around.
    Maybe your computer is sick

Regarding the firefox fonts, check here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=firefox+fonts

For the link problem, it's probably occuring everywhere not just in Thunderbird. You need to modify your default browser. Execute the following to do so:
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives –config x-www-browser

Beans

I know that it was firefox causing the problem, just glad to see that others think the same way.

I haven't had nearly as many random freezes (though they still happen) now that I downgraded to Firefox 2.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Had the same issue but it appears it is mostly related to Flash, I saw a link the other day about this and modified the system accordingly and all has been fine since.

Just wish I could remember where I saw the posting to help out !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You don't really have to remove FF3 Beta...just go to add and remove and install FF2 or you can go and get Opera and or Seamonkey. Though there isn't a flash player for Opera yet ....FF2 prob your best bet.
    New to Ubuntu and learning...
    Dell Inspiron 9200 Laptop, Xubuntu 11.04 x32
    Pent M 1.8Ghz - 17" widescreen display - 2gb 333mhz ram - 60 gb hard drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast