Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network manager keeps asking for wireless password (not keyring passwd)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] Network manager keeps asking for wireless password (not keyring passwd)

Hi all. Running Hardy here, with base install (Gnome) and using XFCE as WM. My problem is that network manager keeps asking for the password to connect to my wireless router, instead of just asking for default keyring at the session startup and then not asking anymore.
    That is, keyring is not doing its job.
    any ideas?

tks
    Last edited by guano; May 6th, 2008 at 04:04 AM. Reason: solved.

Beans

Re: Network manager keeps asking for wireless password (not keyring passwd)

A workaround for this is to dispense with network manager and use Wicd instead. Wicd is a better Wi-Fi manager and it doesn't require that you enter your default keyring password at start-up.

See this link for details on downloading and installing.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks for the tip. Wicd is working fine.

Beans

I'm having the same problem - eventhough network manager is allowed to access keyring it keeps asking for the password...
    Switching to another application isn't the solution though (in terms of solving the problem with network manager...)
    So if anyone got any idea please share! Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you tried deleting all the wireless networks contained in the wireless networks manager and re saving the passwords?

I have had no real issues with the new network manager, it seems a lot better at just loading up my wifi networks and not moaning about passwords.
    Though I changed my wifi password once when I defaulted the settings on my router and even though I reconfigured it back to the original it was doing what you are describing here.
    After deleting the wireless networks from the list and re doing it they work again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danwood76 View Post
    Have you tried deleting all the wireless networks contained in the wireless networks manager and re saving the passwords?

I have had no real issues with the new network manager, it seems a lot better at just loading up my wifi networks and not moaning about passwords.
    Though I changed my wifi password once when I defaulted the settings on my router and even though I reconfigured it back to the original it was doing what you are describing here.
    After deleting the wireless networks from the list and re doing it they work again.
    thank you, this worked for me.

Beans

Smile Re: Network manager keeps asking for wireless password (not keyring passwd)

Hi,

I actually have found the solution to this problem. Currently i have Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and Ive been having problems with the wirless too. it works perfect with the network manager, just sometimes it will just suddenly lose its wireless connectivity and continously ask me for my wpa2 key..i restarted pc and everything was fine when i logged back in.
    It seems like its having some permissions issue.

it did this again after a couple of hours and then i looked in my processes, i killed 'NetworkManager'
    'modem-manager' and
    'wpa-supplicant'

using sudo kill [psID]

anyway, after i did that, it restarted my wireless afresh and kept my password this time. this might be a bug on the new ubuntu with user permissions. but this is just a temporary solution.

hope this helps!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Keyrings

1. Open up your Home Folder by clicking Places>Home Folder
    2. Press CTRL-H (or click View>Show Hidden Files)
    3. Find a folder called .gnome2 (it has a period at the beginning of the name) and open it by double clicking on it
    4. In side of the .gnome2 folder, there is another folder called keyrings. Open it up.
    5. Delete any files you find within the keyrings folder
    6. Restart the computer

After you restart and login (if you’re automatically logging in) you’ll probably be asked to enter your wireless networks WPA/WEP encryption key. After you type that password in, the keyring manager will appear to let you know that it would like to handle the storage of that password and lock it away with a new keyring password. The box looks like this:

Instead of typing in a new password, leave both boxes completely empty and click Create.

You’ll then be asked if you know what the hell you’re doing:

Go ahead and click Use Unsafe Storage.

WARNING: Doing this creates a new file in your ~/.gnome2/keyrings/ folder called default.keyring and it will now house passwords IN CLEAR TEXT and not in an encrypted form. So it is imperative that you are certain no untrustworthy persons can access your user account (either physically or by remote) or they will be able to easily open and read this file and obtain many passwords (for things such as FTP accounts, SSH, e-mail accounts, etc). Proceed with caution.

From here on all keyring stored passwords you enter will not safeguarded behind a master password or encryption. Whether or not you want to do this is entirely up to you. I personally have had enough of the keyring manager and consider it kind of annoying. But as I said before, you may have certain environmental factors that make having a master password over the rest of your passwords a good idea. Keep in mind that the keyring password manager has absolutely nothing to do with your administrative/root privilages password that has to be entered any time you want to apply updates, or add/remove software. You will still have to type your account password in for these actions, and that is something I am quite comfortable with.
    Remember hence where you come and pass it down.
    Ubuntu Forums member #899097 and Ubuntu Member:
    http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
    Main Page -

Beans

I have tried all the above methods to no avail. Ubuntu keeps asking for the wireless pasword every time I reboot my computer. Is there a solution for this?
    Desktop : iMac 21.5" (2011) Core i5 Sandy Bridge - AMD Radeon HD 6750M - 8Gb RAM - OS X 10.8.3 Mountain Lion
    Laptop : EasyNote TS 44HR (2012) - Core i3 Sandy Bridge - Intel HD3000 - 4Gb RAM - elementary OS 0.2 + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

Beans

Sorry to bump such an old thread but apparently, this is still a problem.

Any working solutions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast